Penn Jillette Credits Potato Diet For 100 Pound Weight Loss

dbh25

In Penn's book, CrayRay is the one that tells him to stick to potatoes only. It wasn't random.
He also writes about drinking massive amounts of decaf. Like one New Years Eve drinking decaf espresso all night. He mentions never wanting to be dependent on alcohol or caffeine.
He also writes in the book about following the Fuhrman "Fuhrburger" diet for long term maintenance, as described in the podcast-mostly beans, rice, and fruit. The rare and appropriate meals are usually once a month- basically eating anything for that one meal.
I did not hear much conflicting with what he described in the book.
Interesting he said he rarely eats before 5pm.

theLaw

In Penn's book, CrayRay is the one that tells him to stick to potatoes only. It wasn't random.
He also writes about drinking massive amounts of decaf. Like one New Years Eve drinking decaf espresso all night. He mentions never wanting to be dependent on alcohol or caffeine.
He also writes in the book about following the Fuhrman "Fuhrburger" diet for long term maintenance, as described in the podcast-mostly beans, rice, and fruit. The rare and appropriate meals are usually once a month- basically eating anything for that one meal.
I did not hear much conflicting with what he described in the book.
Interesting he said he rarely eats before 5pm.

Penn described it on his podcast as Cronise asking him to choose a food for a mono-diet and Jillette choosing potatoes because he thought they sounded funny. Does he describe it differently in his book?

Also, does the rare and appropriate include frequent late night peanut butter binges, or a regular "spoon" of peanut butter actually measuring several tablespoons by his own admission?

Penn is a very honest and open guy, but tends to leave out some of the important negatives about the diet, while Cronise blames Jillette's ongoing issues as not being strict enough with his dietary choices.

In fact, this whole podcast is a group of people all trying to justify their diet as they admit to feeling uncomfortably hungry as a regular occurrence all led by a guy who won't even keep peanut butter in his house.

All of this while Penn talks about all of the people who claimed to have lost weight after reading his book. I like and respect Penn, but it sounds like he's starving himself while trying to justify it as healthy, while following a guy who's offering professional health advice while still struggling himself.

Regina

Penn described it on his podcast as Cronise asking him to choose a food for a mono-diet and Jillette choosing potatoes because he thought they sounded funny. Does he describe it differently in his book?

Also, does the rare and appropriate include frequent late night peanut butter binges, or a regular "spoon" of peanut butter actually measuring several tablespoons by his own admission?

Penn is a very honest and open guy, but tends to leave out some of the important negatives about the diet, while Cronise blames Jillette's ongoing issues as not being strict enough with his dietary choices.

In fact, this whole podcast is a group of people all trying to justify their diet as they admit to feeling uncomfortably hungry as a regular occurrence all led by a guy who won't even keep peanut butter in his house.

All of this while Penn talks about all of the people who claimed to have lost weight after reading his book. I like and respect Penn, but it sounds like he's starving himself while trying to justify it as healthy, while following a guy who's offering professional health advice while still struggling himself.
I trained tonight with a girl who was going to stay for zen meditation. I mentioned she might want to get out of her wet gi (uniform) or put on a sweater--that it would be adrenalin attempting to keep her warm for 2 hrs in a sub60 degree room--that that might detract from the benefits of the zen session. Annoyed at my stupidity, she thought that zen somehow overcomes these physical processes.

dbh25

From what I remember, Ray recommends potatoes in the book.
If he overeats peanut butter if it's around, why would he keep it in the house? And he did make a joke about what he considers a spoonful, that seems to bother you.
Uncomfortably hungry? He sounds liberated from tbe way he would over eat in the past.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed listening.

Regina

If he overeats peanut butter if it's around, why would he keep it in the house? And he did make a joke about what he considers a spoonful, that seems to bother you.
Uncomfortably hungry? He sounds liberated from tbe way he would over eat in the past.
I think that if someone is not meeting their nutritionasl needs, they will be 'uncomfortable', i.e., not satiated.

You're hilarious. You just can't accept that the big jolly manly man from the show "Bulls h*t" had success eating a high starch, quasi-vegan diet, something he would've called BS before the pain and debility was starting to set in. Did you actually read his book "Presto?" It appears not because you don't seem to know the specific details of what happened to Penn. He doesn't do "the diet" 100%. He goes out and eats steak-tar-tar, filet mignon, ice cream and sushi with his son. Showing that even doing it 80-90%, it still works. Of course if he ends up getting cancer in the near future, people like you will blame "the diet," ignoring the fact that he spent his first six decades eating s*it, got obese, late Vegas nights and became hypertensive to the point of almost having a stroke or a heart attack, on a dozen meds. He's never drank or did drugs but rich food was his drug, thus, that was his results for all those years. And now that he eats fat free potatoes, some vegetables and cold refrigerated fruit (as he said in the book), you guys freak out.

Last edited:

theLaw

Penn Jillette Opens Up About 100-Pound Weight Loss

Jillette said on "GMA" today: "The potatoes, first of all , they weren't raw and that's an arbitrary thing. I'm not good at moderation. I wanted to do hardcore stuff. I wanted to lose the sense of eating socially ... it was just a way to lose all the habits I had gotten into. So, it didn't have to be potatoes. They aren't magic. I picked potatoes because it's the funniest word."

Cronise said that he can't keep peanut butter in the house because he'll eat it, which doesn't sound like a man who's well nourished. Penn's joke about peanut butter wasn't just for laughs, he was talking about how difficult it is for him to consume a small amount because he was so hungry. Even more telling, were the co-hosts responses, as they all chimed in with their similar struggles.

Uncomfortable hunger = liberating.............we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

kayumochi

This isn't true. Guys like Kurt Harris, Richard Nikoley and J. Stanton were promoting potatoes in the "Paleosphere" before Ray Cronise, and Ray was never a paleo guy. I would say Tim "Tatertot" Steele and Chris Voight should also get credit when it comes to promoting the potato hack.

However, Ray Cronise's contribution to the diet and health arena is much bigger and more interesting- the idea that temperature and thermal load can affect body weight.

Tim Steele gets not only the credit for the "potato hack" but also using unmodified potato starch as a resistant starch supplement. I know RS is controversial at this forum but it has helped many, including me. That being said, both Nikoley and Steele have admitted to thinking Peat is a quack.

dbh25

Penn Jillette Opens Up About 100-Pound Weight Loss

Cronise said that he can't keep peanut butter in the house because he'll eat it, which doesn't sound like a man who's well nourished. Penn's joke about peanut butter wasn't just for laughs, he was talking about how difficult it is for him to consume a small amount because he was so hungry. Even more telling, were the co-hosts responses, as they all chimed in with their similar struggles.

Uncomfortable hunger = liberating.............we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I think that is Penn's sense of humor, potatoes being a funny word, that's why he chose it. I may get Presto back from the library to re-read that section. He is obviously bombastic, and a smart ****, and his humor seems to get to you. He definitely has some issues with food, he says he needs a set of rules to follow, like not keeping tempting foods in the house. Like pb.
Bottom line, he was in and out of hospitals for high blood pressure and on several meds. That all stopped with the potatoes and then maintenance with a mostly vegan diet, with some of the rare and appropriate meals. Nothing astounding for sure, but I enjoyed listening to the podcasts.

theLaw

This was a tough one for me.

For years I've had a an enormous amount of respect for Jillette, even though we disagree on a number of different issues, but his behaviour on this podcast where he all but bullies this woman simply for her views on food, was absolutely unacceptable.

It appears that Jillette's claim that he is now part of the "cult" of Ray Cronise is more true than I wanted to believe, and this episode proves it conclusively. Not sure what has happened to him, but this is not the Penn I remember.

Starts off normal, and spirals toward the end.

PodcastOne: SciBabe Yvette d'Entremont (part II)

DaveFoster

You're hilarious. You just can't accept that the big jolly manly man from the show "Bulls h*t" had success eating a high starch, quasi-vegan diet, something he would've called BS before the pain and debility was starting to set in. Did you actually read his book "Presto?" It appears not because you don't seem to know the specific details of what happened to Penn. He doesn't do "the diet" 100%. He goes out and eats steak-tar-tar, filet mignon, ice cream and sushi with his son. Showing that even doing it 80-90%, it still works. Of course if he ends up getting cancer in the near future, people like you will blame "the diet," ignoring the fact that he spent his first six decades eating s*it, got obese, late Vegas nights and became hypertensive to the point of almost having a stroke or a heart attack, on a dozen meds. He's never drank or did drugs but rich food was his drug, thus, that was his results for all those years. And now that he eats fat free potatoes, some vegetables and cold refrigerated fruit (as he said in the book), you guys freak out.
You seem to blame the food, but his lifestyle stress was abnormally high. Certainly his rich foods offered him relief from the stress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals