Policosanol topical for hair loss

Limon9

Have fun trying to melt policosanol. It's probably working in a fashion closer to topical spironolactone or other antimineralocorticoids, than to finasteride.

OP
G

golder

Have fun trying to melt policosanol. It's probably working in a fashion closer to topical spironolactone or other antimineralocorticoids, than to finasteride.
What solution could we dissolve it in? Does anyone know before I go wasting ingredients and experimenting.
You mentioned melting but it doesn’t appear to be in solid form. I’ve just purchased some 20mg capsules and it’s a powder?:

Ingredients:
Policosanol (from sugar cane), gelatin (capsule); dextrin, anti-caking agent: magnesium salts of fatty acids; rice brand

Ras

What solution could we dissolve it in? Does anyone know before I go wasting ingredients and experimenting.
You mentioned melting but it doesn’t appear to be in solid form. I’ve just purchased some 20mg capsules and it’s a powder?:

Ingredients:
Policosanol (from sugar cane), gelatin (capsule); dextrin, anti-caking agent: magnesium salts of fatty acids; rice brand
Why don't you just do what the researchers did?

Policosanol was dispersed homogeneously in vehicle (absolute ethyl alcohol:1,2-propylene glycol at an 80:20 ratio). ...

An aqueous solution of 1 mg/mL policosanol was prepared as described previously [11]. Briefly, policosanol was mixed in 5% Tween-80, pH 3–4, heated and stirred, and then cooled to room temperature. The pH was then adjusted to 7.2–7.4.

Mauritio

@Mauritio

Another one for you. Here waxy Policosanol exerts steroid like Actions.
I'm not sure, but I think we discussed that study in the policosanol thread ... somewhere in those 20 pages lol

helpmyhair

Is there any side effects with policosanol? And is it a topical? How will you figure how to make a topical like in the study?

ivy

Why don't you just do what the researchers did?
I'm not entirely sure I can connect the two quotes you mentioned. Also, both propylene glycol and Tween 80 (polysorbate 80) are harsh on the scalp. Propanediol seems to be a safe humectant, what a safe surfactant would look like I'm not quite sure.

OP
G

golder

I'm not entirely sure I can connect the two quotes you mentioned. Also, both propylene glycol and Tween 80 (polysorbate 80) are harsh on the scalp. Propanediol seems to be a safe humectant, what a safe surfactant would look like I'm not quite sure.
Would like to try dissolving the Policosanol but don’t really know where to start. Don’t really want to us propylene glycol on the scalp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals