Potatoes are the only thing that make my hands and feet warm but why?

HeartGold

Hi,

As the title says, this is the only way for me to get warm hands and feet in summer but in winter it works a lot less. My complete body will feel warm but it’s short term, or I have to eat the whole day potatoes but peat is against it?

My temperature (under armpit for 10min) is 37.2 max in the afternoon. Without potatoes it’s max 36,9.

In winter my hands are always cold or ice cold. I sometimes get Raynauds. I think it’s a stress response because when I take to much t3 or ndt or coffee than tolerated I get ice cold hands in summer but my core temperature will be great. I can eat all the sugar or starch but it won’t go away. Cypro doesn’t help. Pregnenolone either.

Orange juice for example 2-4 glasses does nothing for my cold hands and feet but I will feel a little better at ease and have some energy.

Ray wrote this on his website (I think): “In extreme hypothyroidism, the hands and feet can be very cold while the oral temperature looks o.k.” (I saved it on my phone)
This is basically winter for me. I improved a little by founding Ray last year. Thyroid hormone makes me in the long run more stressed

My symptoms are still really low heart rate ~45 while sitting still, and while sleeping ~36. Fatigue especially in the morning, slow reaction time and really hard time thinking, constantly losing my thoughts.

I’m 28 and I start to think that I have been running on stress hormones since I was ~11 after that age I mentally and physically started declining and eventually became hypothyroid while stress increased?

-Luke-

Is this the only warm meal you eat in a day? If it's a short-term effect, it makes me wonder whether the temperature of the food is the main factor in why it warms you.

And no, Dr. Peat wasn't against potatos. He didn't eat them himself, but there aren't many foods he has spoken more positively about in interviews. As long as you cook them well and digest them well (and feel good), there's nothing to worry about.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

Is this the only warm meal you eat in a day? If it's a short-term effect, it makes me wonder whether the temperature of the food is the main factor in why it warms you.

And no, Dr. Peat wasn't against potatos. He didn't eat them himself, but there aren't many foods he has spoken more positively about in interviews. As long as you cook them well and digest them well (and feel good), there's nothing to worry about.
The effect last ~3 hours, really hot hands and slightly less warm feet.

Oh I thought Ray was against starches but thats good to hear.

-Luke-

He definitely preferred sugar over starch, but he spoke very positively about potatos and nixtamalized corn.

If it's just the temperature of the food, I wouldn't expect the effect to last for three hours. So it's probably something else.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

He definitely preferred sugar over starch, but he spoke very positively about potatos and nixtamalized corn.

If it's just the temperature of the food, I wouldn't expect the effect to last for three hours. So it's probably something else.
I know it sounds strange but I discovered a few months ago. 20min after eating ~200 grams of potatoes my hands are hot! Maybe potatoes are my stress killer

-Luke-

The salt could also be helpful, if you are salting them. If I eat potatoes, I salt the **** out of them.

DrJ

Glucose + potassium + B6 can really rev up the metabolism, particularly if you are missing any of those things. Make sure to also get the other B vitamins in proportion to your glucose consumption.

A-Tim

Fwiw, in my twenties I had raynaud symptoms in my toes during winter. Quite uncomfortable. I'm 33 now and almost never have symptoms like that. Perhaps that will give you some hope that things can change :):

Lots of things in my life have changed over that time so I can't say with much certainty what reversed this particular issue. But a few things I put a lot of effort into include minimizing toxins like pufa and plastic, having a well rounded diet (Chris Masterjohn is my goto source - he has a balanced point of view and goes into a lot of depth), and plenty of sunlight grounded in nature during the day.

P.S - I eat a shitload of potatoes. They make me feel great too. I try to always eat them well cooked. I like them as french fries - they get nice and crunch this way, and they cook faster in the oven because there is a larger surface area exposed to the heat.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

Glucose + potassium + B6 can really rev up the metabolism, particularly if you are missing any of those things. Make sure to also get the other B vitamins in proportion to your glucose consumption.
Sounds like I should increase my milk intake. From now on I will drink an extra liter of milk. How do you get your B vitamins if I may ask?

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

Fwiw, in my twenties I had raynaud symptoms in my toes during winter. Quite uncomfortable. I'm 33 now and almost never have symptoms like that. Perhaps that will give you some hope that things can change :):

Lots of things in my life have changed over that time so I can't say with much certainty what reversed this particular issue. But a few things I put a lot of effort into include minimizing toxins like pufa and plastic, having a well rounded diet (Chris Masterjohn is my goto source - he has a balanced point of view and goes into a lot of depth), and plenty of sunlight grounded in nature during the day.

P.S - I eat a shitload of potatoes. They make me feel great too. I try to always eat them well cooked. I like them as french fries - they get nice and crunch this way, and they cook faster in the oven because there is a larger surface area exposed to the heat.
Hi Tim, that's very nice to hear! My raynauds has unfortunately slowly gotten worse over the years (I suffered from it when I was a kid). I suffer from it a lot in the winter. My health has slowly improved since I have been following Ray's advice since last year. Winter is coming so I am curious to see if it will improve now.

I will look into Chris Masterjohn, never heard of him before.

Yes homemade french fries are delicious out of the oven! You know it haha luckily so a good food choice!

DrJ

Sounds like I should increase my milk intake. From now on I will drink an extra liter of milk. How do you get your B vitamins if I may ask?
I was talking about potatoes. Potatoes = glucose + potassium + B6. I get B6 from potatoes. I supplement a methylated folate + b12 vitamin as well as thiamine. B2 from several yogurt servings per day. B3 I supplement in very small amounts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals