Rapamycin For Dogs--Drug Interactions?

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I am going to be giving some rapamycin to my dog. He's a 10 yo Flat Coated Retriever. Are there known drug interactions that I should be worried about? He is on gabapentin. 2x daily.

Up until about 6 months ago, he was not acting at all like a 10 yo dog--very playful and energetic. He had a couple episodes of what seemed like his back hurt him. Took him for neuro exam and they can't find what is causing it. He has really good days, but they told us to withhold his gabapentin and get a video if possible. Sure enough, he was supposed to get his dose at 5pm, withheld, 2 hours later he is stiff and frozen, won't move and when trying to lay down, he gets back up. Give gabapentin and in 30 min. back to normal. I don't like that he's on this med but it is providing a clear benefit to him. I also don't want to negate any positive from rapamycin.

Aside from this question--what are the most notable side effects from rapamycin you noticed in your dog with first few doses? Just wondering what I should look out for...

Thank you!

sunny

Dog aging project with Matt kaeberlin, rapa researcher, would have some good info.

frannybananny

I am going to be giving some rapamycin to my dog. He's a 10 yo Flat Coated Retriever. Are there known drug interactions that I should be worried about? He is on gabapentin. 2x daily.

Up until about 6 months ago, he was not acting at all like a 10 yo dog--very playful and energetic. He had a couple episodes of what seemed like his back hurt him. Took him for neuro exam and they can't find what is causing it. He has really good days, but they told us to withhold his gabapentin and get a video if possible. Sure enough, he was supposed to get his dose at 5pm, withheld, 2 hours later he is stiff and frozen, won't move and when trying to lay down, he gets back up. Give gabapentin and in 30 min. back to normal. I don't like that he's on this med but it is providing a clear benefit to him. I also don't want to negate any positive from rapamycin.

Aside from this question--what are the most notable side effects from rapamycin you noticed in your dog with first few doses? Just wondering what I should look out for...

Thank you!
I hope Blossom sees this post. She has been giving her little dog Rapamycin for awhile now. You might give her a shot out.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@TAG145, there are no interactions between the two medications per drugs.com’s interaction checker.
This is for humans of course. My chihuahua is doing great on rapamycin but isn’t on any other meds.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
@TAG145, there are no interactions between the two medications per drugs.com’s interaction checker.
This is for humans of course. My chihuahua is doing great on rapamycin but isn’t on any other meds.
Thank you! Blossom-I haven’t gotten it yet but eager for it to arrive. How long have you been using it for your pup?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@TAG145, We started him on it January 6, 2023 and he’s done excellent with it! We were almost certain we were going to have to put him down and it was a last ditch effort that I didn’t really expect to work tbh. The vet was sadly no help at all and we never even got a call back for an orthopedic referral for his ruptured CCL. He improved pretty quickly and has been holding steady so far ever since. I’m super grateful for the additional time and his vastly improved quality of life.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
@TAG145, We started him on it January 6, 2023 and he’s done excellent with it! We were almost certain we were going to have to put him down and it was a last ditch effort that I didn’t really expect to work tbh. The vet was sadly no help at all and we never even got a call back for an orthopedic referral for his ruptured CCL. He improved pretty quickly and has been holding steady so far ever since. I’m super grateful for the additional time and his vastly improved quality of life.
Oh wow! Very happy for you! I hope to give our pups and kitty some extra time with us. They are all pretty healthy right now besides what is causing our one guy to have to be in gabapentin right now.
Thank you!

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Hi Blossom-I meant to ask-how king does it take for you to get your meds through ADC?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@TAG145 usually around 2 weeks.
I just looked and my last order came in 7 days.

frannybananny

@TAG145 usually around 2 weeks.
I just looked and my last order came in 7 days.
hi @Blossom! I have been following your posts about rapamycin for some time and was wondering how your personal journey is going? I am especially interested in any skin issues or gum problems..... my skin is a mess I think from taking the wrong supplements. I wonder if rapa might help me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
hi @Blossom! I have been following your posts about rapamycin for some time and was wondering how your personal journey is going? I am especially interested in any skin issues or gum problems..... my skin is a mess I think from taking the wrong supplements. I wonder if rapa might help me.
Hi @frannybananny, I’d say everything is going well. I have zero gum issues. My skin seems to be ever so slowly improving but not perfect and I’m old now even though I don’t feel it! I’ve read some middle age-senior veteran rapamycin users say it took at least 6 months to see skin improvements. I’m in month 9. It’s a strange experience to be so sick in your youth and not start healing until the 40’s. This is all natural and unfiltered me just now. I’ll be 54 in about 2 weeks with wrinkles, graying hair and all. Although I bear the marks of someone who was very unhealthy for decades I’m grateful nonetheless. Go easy on me people! I don’t do anything cosmetic.

Attachments

• C017F05D-464B-460D-959D-1EA9B9831E85.jpeg
    C017F05D-464B-460D-959D-1EA9B9831E85.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 19

frannybananny

Hi @frannybananny, I’d say everything is going well. I have zero gum issues. My skin seems to be ever so slowly improving but not perfect and I’m old now even though I don’t feel it! I’ve read some middle age-senior veteran rapamycin users say it took at least 6 months to see skin improvements. I’m in month 9. It’s a strange experience to be so sick in your youth and not start healing until the 40’s. This is all natural and unfiltered me just now. I’ll be 54 in about 2 weeks with wrinkles, graying hair and all. Although I bear the marks of someone who was very unhealthy for decades I’m grateful nonetheless. Go easy on me people! I don’t do anything cosmetic.
I think you look like an wonderful thoughtful person. Your skin looks fine.... I'm not so concerned with the skin on my face since I have always used sunscreen and moisturizers but mostly the large field areas on my body... all up and down my arms and the tops of my thighs. The derm Doc wants me to use chemo creams on thos but I keep putting it off since I am familiar with 5-FU and side effects are miserable. This winter I probably will eventually cave and use them and just suffer for awhile.. afterall... what's a month or two?? lol.

Congrats on staying away from anything cosmetic.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think you look like an wonderful thoughtful person. Your skin looks fine.... I'm not so concerned with the skin on my face since I have always used sunscreen and moisturizers but mostly the large field areas on my body... all up and down my arms and the tops of my thighs. The derm Doc wants me to use chemo creams on thos but I keep putting it off since I am familiar with 5-FU and side effects are miserable. This winter I probably will eventually cave and use them and just suffer for awhile.. afterall... what's a month or two?? lol.

Congrats on staying away from anything cosmetic.
Thanks you and best wishes with your skin issues friend.
I sent the pic to my 33 y/o daughter and she said “Mom, you look tired. Are you okay?” I replied, “I am doing good daughter but I’m definitely tired from working 12 hour shifts around so much death and dying again since February!”
There are some things that no matter how well we take care of ourselves definitely take a toll. :(

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mostly the large field areas on my body... all up and down my arms and the tops of my thighs. The derm Doc wants me to use chemo creams on thos but I keep putting it off since I am familiar with 5-FU and side effects are miserable.
May I ask what specific diagnosis you’ve been given ma’am?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sun Damage with multiple Actinic Keratosis.... use of chemo cream to prevent BCCs and SCCs .... "ma'am". LOL.
I’m from the south so we say that a lot! There’s a guy in his 80’s on the rapamycin news site who has written about rapa keeping his actinic keratosis that was reoccurring and getting worse with age from coming back. I’ll see what I can find.
Edit: I love you picture !

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@frannybananny Here’s a few quotes:
“A dramatic decrease in the number of new actinic keratosis on my face and scalp. I live in the desert and was chronically exposed to excessive sunlight in the days before SPF was a thing. We thought suntan lotion was a little iodine mixed with baby oil. So, I have what my dermatologist describes as chronic keratosis. This means even if I am never exposed to UV again I will still have actinic keratosis that has to be taken care of with chemicals and/or cryosurgery. It just occurred to me that I missed my quarterly appointment and it doesn’t look like I have any new ones that need taking care of.
I would really like to know if anyone else has noticed an effect on their appetite or skin since taking rapamycin.”

“I have had chronic actinic keratosis for decades and two basil cell carcinomas removed. Since I started rapamycin my skin is free from actinic keratoses. I used to go to my dermatologist at least twice a year for treatment. Now I haven’t seen a dermatologist for two years. My extreme exposure to sunlight, when I was young, was the cause of the keratosis so I no longer expose myself to the sun whenever possible.”

“As I have previously posted. I have what my doctor described as chronic actinic keratosis due to extreme sunlight exposure when I was young. This has caused me to visit dermatologists and undergo various nasty treatments 2 to 4 times a year. I have been taking rapamycin for ~ 6 months and my actinic keratoses have completely cleared up. I haven’t been to a dermatologist in a year. I am convinced that rapamycin is a cure for actinic keratosis. Incidentally, my first dose seemed to stop the keratoses in their tracks and further doses have completely cleared them up.”

“I’m about four months in. Fine lines have definitely diminished, and the actinic keratosis on my forehead has disappeared. I took photos when I started and plan to update this thread with “before and after” pics after eight months has elapsed, which is the same time frame as the before and after photos from the Drexel study.”
These people are using it topically btw.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals