Ray Peat promotes gluttony

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I don’t think Ray Peat promoted gluttony but some on the forum promoted eating anything to get metabolism revved up and to get out of under eating. I think many people ended up overweight with still poor metabolism and maybe other problems, too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don’t think Ray Peat promoted gluttony but some on the forum promoted eating anything to get metabolism revved up and to get out of under eating. I think many people ended up overweight with still poor metabolism and maybe other problems, too.
Agree.

Jabuger

I’d argue the opposite. When your satiated your body doesn’t want or need more fuel. When the nutrients are balanced cravings decrease.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
I think 'promotes tooth staining, damage, decay' is appropriate also. I have a friend who drinks coke non stop and I noticed the other day his two middle top front teeth are showing signs of going black at the ends.

MaxMaximus

I think 'promotes tooth staining, damage, decay' is appropriate also. I have a friend who drinks coke non stop and I noticed the other day his two middle top front teeth are showing signs of going black at the ends.
When did Ray Peat say it was a good idea to drink coke non stop?

Tarmander

Peat did this thing where he would say something like, "Pure white sugar has been shown to lower stress hormones and raise the more protective hormones in an acute scenario."

People would be stressed, and try downing a fistful of sugar. I remember I had a stressful day and I had a couple tablespoons of sugar every couple hours to see what would happen.

You may only do this a few times, but you would try orange juice other times. Or bright lights on while you sleep. Or one of the other hundred different little tricks Ray talked about.

None of them worked like he described because he was addressing old stress, not the new type. But because it was a belief system, and not a pragmatic solution based on the current environment, people just kept trying these things. After a couple years of gorging on "stress lowering" foods and supplements, you looked like a blimp.

Peater

None of them worked like he described because he was addressing old stress, not the new type. But because it was a belief system, and not a pragmatic solution based on the current environment, people just kept trying these things. After a couple years of gorging on "stress lowering" foods and supplements, you looked like a blimp.
Agree with the verdict but what do you mean by old stress and new stress?

Tarmander

Agree with the verdict but what do you mean by old stress and new stress?
old stress was low blood sugar, too much bad quality food like beans and rice, stress working outside and not enough energy to maintain that, lack of nutrients, minerals, and enzyme catalysts like B vitamins.

Basically all the things Ray talks about

New stress is EMF, calorie density, mold, pesticides, plastic, blue light, not enough sunlight, too much vitamins/minerals from fortified food.

Clyde

He unintentionally promoted gluttony. I believed he felt people were sophisticated enough to know they had to eat less to lose weight (if gluttony means overeating enough to be fat).

I liked the exchange below:

Q: Let's say you were about 50 to 60lbs overweight, what would you do to lose weight?
RP: First stop eating for a while...(laughing! bc he's explaining that water is wet imo)

View: https://youtu.be/96AFY50-J4A?t=3083

Last edited:

RealNeat

Considering nutrient density and the fact that we are the most overfed but undernourished nation, I think the word gluttony to describe what Ray was trying to achieve is a disservice.

The body has a right to be fed enough to preform its tasks which we demand of it. Reaching the BMR that our body requires to be warm, energetic and happy is not gluttony, its homeostasis.

Brundle

I tried the diet high in granulated white sugar and all it did was make me annoyingly sleepy, wasting an entire day. It was like gravity was 10x stronger.

Peater

I don't think Ray was right about everything ever but seriously. I don't think he advocated drinking gallons of Coke and eating sugar by the shovel, for everyone.

mosaic01

None of them worked like he described because he was addressing old stress, not the new type.

Many things changed between the 70s and now.

He had some anecdotes, for example someone coming back from the dead with a small amount of baking soda or progesterone. These anecdotes happened 30-50 years ago probably. Back then, a small amount of something protective could do something miraculous.

We are so poisoned now that people are downing progesterone, pregnenolone, etc., and nothing happens, except side effects.

These substances have all become crutches at best, poisons at worst.

It's not about old or new stress, it's about the fact that he has overlooked the actual context in which people stop being able to deal with "stress". Healthy people without chronic toxicity experience life as an adventure and a challenge (depending on circumstances), not as a problem. I'm more or less quoting Peat here, but he looked at the thyroid as the culprit, and the thyroid is just an indirect marker of health. The thyroid just regulates metabolism in response to toxins and nutrition from diet.

His framework of diet and supplements was not ideal for the world of the 60-80s, but it contained at least sufficiently positive aspects that some people could benefit from it (thyroid, saturated fats, meat, gelatin, aspirin, progesterone, salt) in profound ways, even though often it was just about suppressing inflammation/toxicity.

Now we have reached a point where suppressing things no longer works, because our bodies and livers are so toxic that the body just revolts. All of the meds, the EMF, PUFA, the vA and copper combined have really messed with basic body functions. Taking some NDT will not work in such a situation, and often even backfire.

In rat studies, it is often seen that each generation is worse of than the one before, when there is a degenerative influence in the environment. This is happening with humanity as well, with each new generation, there appear new problems that were entirely unknown with the previous one. The toxicity epidemic started hundreds of years ago, but we are just now having to deal with the fallout. Our parents and grandparents were often able to ignore toxicity, not knowing that they would curse their children and grandchildren.

Last edited:

Peater

the actual context in which people stop being able to deal with "stress". Healthy people without chronic toxicity experience life as an adventure and a challenge (depending on circumstances), not as a problem
This is an incredibly precise and perceptive bit of writing. I have felt the latter more than i would prefer or care to admit (way, way before I ever discovered Ray, or even 'health' as a concept)

mosaic01

This is an incredibly precise and perceptive bit of writing. I have felt the latter more than i would prefer or care to admit (way, way before I ever discovered Ray, or even 'health' as a concept)

Ray Peat said for a hypothyroid person everything in life becomes problematic. It's probably more apt to replace "hypothyroid" with "toxic", because hypothyroidism is just a symptom, and a consequences of something larger.

Peater

Ray Peat said for a hypothyroid person everything in life becomes problematic. It's probably more apt to replace "hypothyroid" with "toxic", because hypothyroidism is just a symptom, and a consequences of something larger.
Agreed. Very well put. As to whether that issue is caused by vitamin A and/or copper I have nothing to lose by trying the approach. It would not be the first, one of many in fact. Possibly it will be the last, which would be nice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals