Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

Dayman

Where do you get the fitting to put the bulb into. I picked up a bulb at the hardware store but didn't see the part that holds the bulb. All the ones I have say 60W max

Pet Peeve

Such_Saturation said:
post 112194
Pet Peeve said:
post 112141 I'm waiting for a couple of clear ir bulbs and in the meantime I got the 150w daylight basking spot from:

Exo-terra.com/en/products/lighting.php

They have different bulbs with specter-graphics. Kind of interesting comparing them. I'm pretty sure peat has the infrared in mind. It's the only without any blue or uv.

That HALOGEN BASKING SPOT looks damn nice!

Yes, and it stimulates breeding behavior so perfect for dinner dates. "Some romantic lighting, dear?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pet Peeve said:
post 112234
Such_Saturation said:
post 112194
Pet Peeve said:
post 112141 I'm waiting for a couple of clear ir bulbs and in the meantime I got the 150w daylight basking spot from:

Exo-terra.com/en/products/lighting.php

They have different bulbs with specter-graphics. Kind of interesting comparing them. I'm pretty sure peat has the infrared in mind. It's the only without any blue or uv.

That HALOGEN BASKING SPOT looks damn nice!

Yes, and it stimulates breeding behavior so perfect for dinner dates. "Some romantic lighting, dear?"

Make sure you have the grow bulb ready for dessert

Lonnie

HI, I'm trying to research buying some type of lighting for my home. I am hypothyroid and have read several interesting articles on light therapy. I see the above links for at home lighting but I also found a device on Costco's website. Can anyone make a recommendation on what is better? Costco's or buying off Amazon?

Thanks!
http://www.costco.com/Verilux%c2%ae-Hap ... 87417.html

Lonnie, that is a light for the eyes more than the body. It is for treating Seasonal Affective Disorder. It can be very useful. But the lights that have strong red and near infra red may be more healthy and useful in exposing your entire body (or as much as you can of your body) to it and these lights are very much more powerful and especially in the longer wave red and near infra red frequencies.

I also have some photo-purpose "twistie" lights that are very bright and full spectrum and I've been experimenting with those, but they are MANY times brighter than the one linked.

Lonnie

ecstatichmaster- thanks... I will look back at the ones on amazon. I really want to get one ordered asap. Happy New Years!

Apparat

Infrared light suggestion

[moderator edit: post moved]

I'm looking for a low-cost infrared LEDs 660nm light source; the only ones I find that are 660nm have blue light(made for plants). I may be wrong, but I may have read that we should avoid blue light. I plan on using it on skin, scalp and possibly the thyroid. I've found inexpensive LEDs with a 850nm wavelength, but according to some, that may be too much.

scarlettsmum

Please help with infrared light. I find the whole thing very confusing. My understanding is that the actual bulb isn't meant to have red coating, and that it is actually bright white with a little yellowish tinge. Is this correct? Does the same apply for LED? I found this one which is 300 Wats. http://www.medhealthcare.co.uk/medisana ... -885-300w/ Do you know if this is any good?
If I don't want to go down the route of building a heat lamp using brooding bulbs, what do I need to look out for when purchasing a ready made LED option? Is it enough to look at the wattage being high enough?
Thanks!!

RedLightMan

scarlettsmum said:
post 119701 Please help with infrared light. I find the whole thing very confusing. My understanding is that the actual bulb isn't meant to have red coating, and that it is actually bright white with a little yellowish tinge. Is this correct? Does the same apply for LED? I found this one which is 300 Wats. http://www.medhealthcare.co.uk/medisana ... -885-300w/ Do you know if this is any good?
If I don't want to go down the route of building a heat lamp using brooding bulbs, what do I need to look out for when purchasing a ready made LED option? Is it enough to look at the wattage being high enough?
Thanks!!
The Medisana lamp isn't great. Mostly outputs wavelengths that are ineffective, plus highly inefficient. Same goes for brooding/heat bulbs. The heat would become unbearable/unhealthy long before the light therapy is optimally effective.

LED (or low level lasers) is definitely the best option. Here's what I know:
Best wavelengths are 620, 680, 760 and 820nm.
Most common wavelengths of 630, 660, and 850nm are not ideal (although still work).

620 & 820nm (commonly 630/850) should not be combined in single light. 680 and 760nm (commonly 660/740) should not be combined. This is because they counteract each other in terms of oxidation/reduction in parts of cytochrome c oxidase (in mitochondria).

Wattage determines how long you need to apply the light, and also penetration depth. To get deeper effects you want at least 50w of relevant LED light. Longer wavelengths also penetrate deeper. So you might consider two different lights; one with 760 and 820nm for deeper issues, then a light with 620 and 680nm for skin/hair etc.
All things considered, that medisana light is probably only 5w of relevant wavelengths, when converted to LED efficiency. Most of the IR illuminator/security cam infrared lights are far too weak also (10-20w if that).

Summary:
50-100 watts LED device, with wavelengths as close as possible to 620, 680, 760 and 820nm is what you should look for (avoiding combinations I mentioned above).

Hope that helps!

EndAllDisease

Great article! I drove a man from Austria from the airport to his house yesterday and out of curiosity, since I know the climates are the same, asked him if it's popular for people in Austria to use infrared lights in the winter. He replied with a resounding yes and told me about how much he loves it and how he and his wife have been looking for one here to use but couldn't find one. I told him where to get a bulb and clamp lamp :)

Also, I've been wondering, where are all the studies on red light?
These quotes are great but they require the reader to either believe or disbelieve, rather than to know, because it's the word of a few people rather than observations based on experience.

charlie said:
post 387 discovered by NASA
lmao sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that.
NASA, Never A Straight Answer, No Astronauts Should Apply, everybody thinks they do science, yet that couldn't be further from the truth.

scarlettsmum

The Medisana lamp isn't great. Mostly outputs wavelengths that are ineffective, plus highly inefficient. Same goes for brooding/heat bulbs. The heat would become unbearable/unhealthy long before the light therapy is optimally effective.

LED (or low level lasers) is definitely the best option. Here's what I know:
Best wavelengths are 620, 680, 760 and 820nm.
Most common wavelengths of 630, 660, and 850nm are not ideal (although still work).

620 & 820nm (commonly 630/850) should not be combined in single light. 680 and 760nm (commonly 660/740) should not be combined. This is because they counteract each other in terms of oxidation/reduction in parts of cytochrome c oxidase (in mitochondria).

Wattage determines how long you need to apply the light, and also penetration depth. To get deeper effects you want at least 50w of relevant LED light. Longer wavelengths also penetrate deeper. So you might consider two different lights; one with 760 and 820nm for deeper issues, then a light with 620 and 680nm for skin/hair etc.
All things considered, that medisana light is probably only 5w of relevant wavelengths, when converted to LED efficiency. Most of the IR illuminator/security cam infrared lights are far too weak also (10-20w if that).

Summary:
50-100 watts LED device, with wavelengths as close as possible to 620, 680, 760 and 820nm is what you should look for (avoiding combinations I mentioned above).

Hope that helps!

BigJoe,
Thank you so much for such detailed explanation. Very very helpful, exactly what I needed. I did some more research and I think I will now order from the website redman, which has been recommended on this site before and he has a unit that fits within your recommended parameters.

jyb

These LED bulbs are handy. They replace the regular incandescent (here in the UK, they are phased out): 15 or 20W replaces the old 100W incandescents, a bit more expensive but they fit the usual fittings - those CFL bulbs can go to the trash.

The LED spectrum of these bulbs seems good, although not as good as incandescent.

Birdie

I just started re-reading from the beginning and saw that I had said I had a bulb. So, that was in 2012 and I figured it must be in my "place of lightbulbs" in the garage. Sure enough. It's a 250 watt clear bulb labeled as a heat lamp. On the bulb it says infrared. Apparently I returned the chicken light reflector. Just couldn't figure it all out and gave up.

Now, I don't see the reflectors at Home Depot. Anyway, I'm gonna set this thing up somehow. Four years is long enough to dawdle.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie

Oh thanks Charlie. :balloon:
So, I brought one home and when I plugged it in... wham. Blew a circuit.
I should have known. It's one that got messed up when we did a modification.

Anyway, I also realized that an on/off switch would help and the brooder reflectors are minus that.
My last google search for a pole lamp type came up with an offer... for $ 24,000. Onward.

Zachs

Great article! I drove a man from Austria from the airport to his house yesterday and out of curiosity, since I know the climates are the same, asked him if it's popular for people in Austria to use infrared lights in the winter. He replied with a resounding yes and told me about how much he loves it and how he and his wife have been looking for one here to use but couldn't find one. I told him where to get a bulb and clamp lamp :)

Also, I've been wondering, where are all the studies on red light?
These quotes are great but they require the reader to either believe or disbelieve, rather than to know, because it's the word of a few people rather than observations based on experience.

lmao sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that.
NASA, Never A Straight Answer, No Astronauts Should Apply, everybody thinks they do science, yet that couldn't be further from the truth.

Do you actually believe in flat earth?

jyb

Which UK lights & related devices do you use?

For regular lighting I use LEDs (highest LED wattage sold for regular holders seems to be 20 or 30W, which is very bright). I'm not set on the higher wattage lamps, still looking for a decent setup. Problem is I find it hard to find a decent lamp holder for those (and the bulbs themselves are also hard to find). Except for heatlamps, but although safe the spectrum is not as good as incandescent.

For high powered bulbs, only halogen and LEDs seems to be available online, usually as outdoor equipment or floodlights. They come with a proper lamp holder and wired. I don't like halogen's spectrum which has UV. But I am curious about a high powered LED.

tara

I don't like halogen's spectrum which has UV.
I have some concern about this too, but I think a lot of the UV is blocked by a sheet of glass in front of the bulb?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals