SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eat less meat later in the day.
Meats are rich in tryptophan, which is the precursor to the stress substances serotonin and melatonin. Although generally seen as substances to increase to improve sleep by mainstream standards, these stress substances lower metabolism and disrupt restful, regenerative sleep. This means do not supplement with melatonin or 5-HTP supplements.

By consuming foods deficient in tryptophan later in the day, you can minimize the the nocturnal production of serotonin and melatonin. Foods high in tryptophan are meats, whey protein, and egg whites. Cheese lacks tryptophan because the whey has been removed. Milk does contain tryptophan, but its other nutritional properties seems to offset its tryptophan content. Food, supplement, or food additives (carrageenan for instance) that inflame the intestines increase serotonin. High cortisol from stress, exercise, or blood sugar imbalances can increases serotonin as well.

High meat consumption relative to calcium intake from dairy or eggshell powder can disrupt calcium metabolismand cause a rise in parathyroid hormone, which is associated with sleep problems. This is another reason to be careful with over consumption of meat if you’re having sleep difficulties.” -Functionalps.com

Last edited:

Jennifer

I was tired last night, being out of town this weekend, juggling a lot, and not sleeping well myself, but I am happy to clarify anything anytime Jennifer. It was just getting maddening being expected to go listen to every interview Ray Peat has ever done to appease the situation or I must be mistaken, so agreeing to disagree is all I could do. I have made it my mission to not misquote Ray Peat and told him so in my first correspondence with him. He appreciated that. Waking this morning with fresh thoughts, maybe he was talking about calcium and magnesium supplements, and not so much milk, as it was a simple statement that he made. I use to take a liquid calcium magnesium supplement at night before bed, many years for insomnia, which worked for my sleep, but they caused me to form stones everywhere in my body. I even had calcium crystals coming through the roof of my mouth on several occasions. So I took note of him saying that years ago, and obviously stopped taking the supplements. It does not make me happy when things go awry between two well intended people, so I apologize for my part in this discussion gone wrong.

I appreciate the apology but no worries, Rinse. I understand and I was never mad. That’s why I put the smileys. lol I would never expect you or any other member here to go through interviews for me, that’s why I was going through them myself. When something doesn’t make sense to me, I ask questions, it’s how I learn, and when it comes to health, having suffered devastating consequences from following certain health advice, it’s really important to me that I get clarification, especially since members PM me regularly for advice. I feel the same way as you do about representing Ray’s words accurately and don’t want to potentially hurt anyone. I apologize for upsetting you. It’s never my intention to put anyone on the defense with my questioning, that’s why I said I won’t bother you next time, but thank you for being willing to clarify. :) That’s so scary the effects the cal mag supplement had on you. I’m really glad you took note of what Ray said and stopped taking it. Anyhow, love you, girl. ❤️

OP
Rinse & rePeat
1698162261689.png

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Like Ray Peat says stress level rise in the night and darkness….

“Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium. The mitochondria can bind a certain amount of calcium during stress, but accumulating calcium can reach a point at which it inactivates the mitochondria, forcing cells to increase their inefficient glycolytic energy production, producing an excess of lactic acid. Abnormal calcification begins in the mitochondria.
When cells are stressed or dying, they take up calcium, which tends to excite the cells at the same time that it inhibits their energy production, intensifying their stress. A cramp or a seizure is an example of uncontrolled cellular excitation. Prolonged excitation and stress contribute to tissue inflammation and fibrosis.
Gross calcification generally follows the fibrosis that is produced by inflammation.
Arteries, kidneys, and other organs calcify during aging. At the age of 90, the amount of calcium in the elastic layer of an artery is about 35 times greater than at the age of 20. Nearly every type of tissue, including the brain, is susceptible to the inflammatory process that leads through fibrosis to calcification. The exception is the skeleton, which loses its calcium as the soft tissues absorb calcium.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In old people, who lose heat easily during the day, their extreme increase in the compensatory nervous and hormonal adrenalin activity causes their night-time heat regulation (vasoconstriction in the extremities) to rise to normal.

Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep. Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, or during the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I appreciate the apology but no worries, Rinse. I understand and I was never mad. That’s why I put the smileys. lol I would never expect you or any other member here to go through interviews for me, that’s why I was going through them myself. When something doesn’t make sense to me, I ask questions, it’s how I learn, and when it comes to health, having suffered devastating consequences from following certain health advice, it’s really important to me that I get clarification, especially since members PM me regularly for advice. I feel the same way as you do about representing Ray’s words accurately and don’t want to potentially hurt anyone. I apologize for upsetting you. It’s never my intention to put anyone on the defense with my questioning, that’s why I said I won’t bother you next time, but thank you for being willing to clarify. :) That’s so scary the effects the cal mag supplement had on you. I’m really glad you took note of what Ray said and stopped taking it. Anyhow, love you, girl. ❤️
I wish you wouldn’t say that about bothering me next time. It is good to ask questions, I just don’t always have immediate answers, which is why I was happy to post back when I run across them. Love you too girl 💗

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The diuretic acetazolamide, which increases the body's carbon dioxide and reduces water retention, is very effective for preventing seizures.

The sleep-inducing effect of salty food is probably related to the anti-excitatory effects of hyperosmolarity, of adequate thyroid function, and of carbon dioxide.”

“Eating salty food around bedtime usually has a sleep-inducing effect, and it helps to maintain blood volume (which tends to decrease during the night), and to restrain the nocturnal rise of aldosterone, and other indicators of stress or inflammation. Eating gelatin, which lacks tryptophan, will reduce the formation of serotonin, and is likely to limit the formation of aldosterone.”

“When people force themselves to drink a certain amount of water every day, even when they don't feel thirsty, they are activating complex adaptive processes unnecessarily. Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed.

When extra water consumption is combined with a low salt diet--as physicians have so often recommended--a healthy person can adapt easily, but for a hypothyroid person it can have disastrous effects.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I slept exceptionally well last night, not waking even once, from 10:30 to 6:30. After reading some Ray Peat stuff on baking soda, I decided to try some before bed last night, a half teaspoon, and I am stunned how well that worked. I will try it again and again to be sure that was what made such a big improvement, I did have chocolate last night too. I usually wake up once in the night and take honey, and I am pretty wide awake after seven hours of sleep.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Egg shell powder is good source of dietary calcium but should be used sparingly because of the potential of intestinal irritation. Always consume egg shell powder with a meal, preferably containing plenty of saturated fat. Coffee, ripe fruits, a quality orange juice, bone broth, and epsom salt baths are recommended magnesium sources.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“So in many situations, magnesium imitates thyroid function, but the two together really are simply energizing the tissue; and you can go from crampy legs, or many old people get "jumpy legs" -- a funny sensation that makes their legs kick when they try to go to sleep -- you can go from that hyperactivity of the legs to many other conditions including heart rhythm problems, insomnia, muscle pains in general, many states that are considered degenerative diseases, but are simply low thyroid/low magnesium states that prevent efficient energy production.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
1698336012545.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@J.R.K brought to my attention buckwheat honey, and I finally found some. I took a big spoonful of it last night at bedtime, as well as a gently fried egg yolk and slept like a healthy baby. Buckwheat honey is higher in minerals than Manuka or other raw honeys. It is much darker in color like molasses…

“According to Science, the reason honey helps you sleep is that your brain is in a high-energy state while you’re sleeping! During sleep, the brain requires as much, or even more, energy than during the day. By feeding your brain some honey, a natural source of simple, calorie-dense energy brain before bed, you allow it to get to work on recovery, memory consolidation, immune system restoration and learning. If your body is short on energy to power your brain, it may begin producing cortisol and adrenaline: stress hormones meant to wake you up and get you to eat more.”

“Buckwheat has tiny flowers, which means bees that make buckwheat honey have to work extra hard to collect enough nectar. But the result is incredible: a highly nutritious honey, often compared to New Zealand Manuka Honey, full of bioactive, immune-supporting properties, antioxidants and trace elements and minerals!

Raw & unfiltered Buckwheat Honey, like Elias Cold Pressed Buckwheat Honey is one of the best possible sources of energy for your brain. With its mixture of fructose and glucose, your body is able to quickly and easily process it into liver glycogen, getting your brain back into its normal, non-starved state ASAP.

Other benefits of Cold Pressed Buckwheat Honey are that it promotes healing in the body, supports immune function, and boosts antioxidants. It’s also great for soothing sore throats and coughs. Some people even use honey as a part of their skin care regimen. It has also been found to help keep blood sugar levels regulated, compared to using raw or white sugar, maple or other syrups as sweeteners.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Progesterone exerts a sleep induction or hypnotic effect and is a potent respiratory stimulant that has been associated to a decrease in the number of central and obstructive sleep apnea episodes in men. The literature also contains a substantial amount of data on the effect of apnea in women with obesity-hypoventilation during menopause. This review attempts to outline the specific role of progesterone in normal sleep and breathing as well as its possible therapeutic effects in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Research suggests the active substances found in saffron have sleep-inducing properties and may have a beneficial effect on sleep quality and duration.

A recent review that included five studies and 379 participants found that treatments containing saffron or its active substances, including crocin, helped improve sleep quality and sleep duration.“

J.R.K

@J.R.K brought to my attention buckwheat honey, and I finally found some. I took a big spoonful of it last night at bedtime, as well as a gently fried egg yolk and slept like a healthy baby. Buckwheat honey is higher in minerals than Manuka or other raw honeys. It is much darker in color like molasses…

“According to Science, the reason honey helps you sleep is that your brain is in a high-energy state while you’re sleeping! During sleep, the brain requires as much, or even more, energy than during the day. By feeding your brain some honey, a natural source of simple, calorie-dense energy brain before bed, you allow it to get to work on recovery, memory consolidation, immune system restoration and learning. If your body is short on energy to power your brain, it may begin producing cortisol and adrenaline: stress hormones meant to wake you up and get you to eat more.”

“Buckwheat has tiny flowers, which means bees that make buckwheat honey have to work extra hard to collect enough nectar. But the result is incredible: a highly nutritious honey, often compared to New Zealand Manuka Honey, full of bioactive, immune-supporting properties, antioxidants and trace elements and minerals!

Raw & unfiltered Buckwheat Honey, like Elias Cold Pressed Buckwheat Honey is one of the best possible sources of energy for your brain. With its mixture of fructose and glucose, your body is able to quickly and easily process it into liver glycogen, getting your brain back into its normal, non-starved state ASAP.

Other benefits of Cold Pressed Buckwheat Honey are that it promotes healing in the body, supports immune function, and boosts antioxidants. It’s also great for soothing sore throats and coughs. Some people even use honey as a part of their skin care regimen. It has also been found to help keep blood sugar levels regulated, compared to using raw or white sugar, maple or other syrups as sweeteners.”
I am happy to hear that you had such good results using buckwheat honey for a sleep aid.
Were you able to replicate these results in a consistent manner, or are you still experimenting and it is to early to tell yet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals