Sugar Is "addictive" Because Is Stops The Stress Response

haidut

Forum Supporter
In a framework where doing things repeatedly because they benefit you is considered addiction, the conclusion of this study is not really surprising. But the good news is, Peat is right again. Sugar protects the brain from the destructive effects of cortisol. There is a clinical trial in Germany studying the effects of cortisol blocking drugs on dementia.
So, sugar to the rescue.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/eating-sugar- ... 53695.html

"...The findings suggest an explanation of how, mechanistically, sugar may positively reinforce its habitual consumption in people experiencing chronic stress," Laugero said by email. Without the sugar, the researchers might have expected to see a surge in cortisol during the experiment because they gave the women impossibly difficult math problems to complete in their heads – a challenge designed to trigger a stress response – before the MRIs. But the women who drank beverages sweetened with sugar had MRIs showing significantly higher activity in the hippocampus and lower levels of stress-induced cortisol than the MRIs of women who had aspartame. Normally, acute stress blocks activity in the hippocampus, the researchers write in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

jaa

I've been hoping to see a study like this. Thanks for posting haidut!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rightagain

stargazer1111

Perhaps this is a stupid question. But, does this mean we should consciously down extra sugar in stressful situations? Sort of like it is a medicine?

stargazer1111

I've read the whole study. One of the interesting things I noticed is that the reduced cortisol output from sucrose consumption seems to occur even when one is not immediately consuming the sucrose. In other words, consuming a certain amount of sucrose in the diet alters how you respond to stress in the long-term.

schultz

I've read the whole study. One of the interesting things I noticed is that the reduced cortisol output from sucrose consumption seems to occur even when one is not immediately consuming the sucrose. In other words, consuming a certain amount of sucrose in the diet alters how you respond to stress in the long-term.

Very interesting. I'll have to take a look at the study.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Perhaps this is a stupid question. But, does this mean we should consciously down extra sugar in stressful situations? Sort of like it is a medicine?

Yes, Ray has said this so many times - increase sugar consumption in stressful situations.

L

lollipop

In other words, consuming a certain amount of sucrose in the diet alters how you respond to stress in the long-term.
This is interesting and somewhat I can confirm anecdotally. When eating low carb, I just had zero resilience or tolerance, but was thinner. Since starting on this Peat theory and adding carbs - mostly fruit, honey, milk, occasionally cane sugar, as well as potatoes and white rice maybe 3x a week along with the rare rare bread (just made my own for fun), I have gained some weight BUT overall energy levels and resilience and tolerance are sky high in comparison.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Cortisol only rises for two reasons - inflammation or perceived deficiency of glucose inside the cell. So, if you eat sugar and there is enough glycogen then there is no need for cortisol to rise since enough glycogen exists to meet the energetic demands.

encerent

Cortisol only rises for two reasons - inflammation or perceived deficiency of glucose inside the cell. So, if you eat sugar and there is enough glycogen then there is no need for cortisol to rise since enough glycogen exists to meet the energetic demands.

What about psychological reasons?

Last edited:

stargazer1111

It is interesting for me as well. I have thrown caution to the wind and have just started drinking juice/consuming sugar relatively non-stop throughout the day rather than doing a meal and going for a few hours without food and feel my absolute best when I do this. I might just continue doing that for a while to see what happens.

Regina

It is interesting for me as well. I have thrown caution to the wind and have just started drinking juice/consuming sugar relatively non-stop throughout the day rather than doing a meal and going for a few hours without food and feel my absolute best when I do this. I might just continue doing that for a while to see what happens.
But you also need protein to keep stress down.

stargazer1111

Oh, trust me. I know. My body throws a fit when I don't give it enough protein! I drink lots of milk and am addicted to steak.

lvysaur

Milk doesn't have enough protein. You really need cheese or meat/eggs.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Sugar should be prescribed for people with mood disorders. There are two guaranteed ways to put me into an agitated depression: coffee on an empty stomach, and not refeeding after a workout. Even drinking solely coke all day will keep my mood up. Amazing brown elixir of metabolism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What about psychological reasons?

The psychological stress also increases energetic requirements. Ultimately it all comes down to ability to produce energy to meet demands of various situations. So, cortisol will rise whenever the perceived availability of fuel cannot meet the perceived demands of the situation, be that running away from a predator, or simply being sick with the "flu".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals