SURVIVAL - RECIPES & More…

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I posted this answer, as to how I am protecting my garden from critters. birds and pests, in another thread and thought it would be useful here….

“First of all I planted the majority of my garden on my patio, under my gazebo, so the birds and animals are a little more reluctant to come where I tend to be. Planting this way on the patio keeps the weeds away too. I will have to see how things play out in the yard, with the fruit trees, some of the berry bushes, artichokes and peas. I rigged an owl on my fence to rotate when there is a breeze, and the squirrels are staying away. I have been blending garlic cloves in water and pouring it in the my yard where the squirrels and birds reside. I have also been boiling orange peels and spraying it on everything, and especially if I see any leaves nibbled. I disposed my used coffee grounds all over the place since animals and pests don’t like the smell of coffee. A trick I am trying now too, on my young passion fruit and blueberry bush, is to clean the hair out of a hair brush and tuck it around the new plant. The human smell is a repellent and it seems to be working so far, because something was eating the leaves and now they are leaving them alone. I have had good luck with cayenne and cinnamon powder too. Companion planting has been a huge help, planting other plants, which critters and bugs dont like the smell of, like marigold, onions, mint, basil and such with other plants. It is a ghost town in my yard now compared to the squirrel fest I had going on this same time last year without a garden.”

Attachments

• FAEAE55D-5B45-4FC3-A723-E017F8577798.png
    FAEAE55D-5B45-4FC3-A723-E017F8577798.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is a list of what I have planted so far…

-orange trees (2 kinds)
-lemon trees (2 kinds)
-finger lime tree
-Anna apple tree
-blueberries (2 kinds)
-raspberries (3 kinds)
-boysenberries
-strawberries (2 kinds)
-pineapple guava tree
-passion fruit vine
-donut peach tree
-ice cream banana tree
-avocado tree
-melons (3 kinds)
-tomatoes (3 kinds)
-black carrots
-artichokes (2 kinds)
-peas (3 kinds)
-jigsaw peppers
-onions (2 kinds)
-stinging nettle
-rosemary
-mint
-chives

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Rosemary supposedly deters small pests like mice. Several people have recommended tucking small sprigs of dried Rosemary into the backs of cabinets to ward of mice and rats during the winter.

Rosemary is also helpful in warding off smaller pests like mosquitoes and is an ingredient in my Homemade Bug-Off Bars.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“So, you have an onion or two that you bought from the grocery store, that have now sprouted in the pantry. And you're wondering, "Can I plant these sprouted onions and regrow a new, fresh onion?"

In short the answer is, YES! You can plant a sprouted onion and grow a new one. Actually, usually you can get sometimes get three new onions from one sprouted onion!”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Don't throw those scraps away! Discover easy and effortless ways to regrow onions and save money on groceries.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Never was the orange peel more needed than in recent times of drought. So everyone thought. Then the mice plague hit NSW.

“These days, we have farmers reaching out to us [for orange peel] more than ever because a lot of the grain and hay that they had to feed their livestock has been eaten by mice. The farmers tell us that, for some reason, the mice won’t touch orange peel.””

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the most unique options in home pest control for your garden is using aluminum foil. Tear off a few pieces of the foil and shred the aluminum up into a multitude of pieces.

Mix the shredded aluminum foil into the mulch of your garden. The foil will reflect light up onto your plants, deterring any insects and other pests from feeding off the elements inside your garden.

Using foil balloons is also a great way to deter pests without mixing aluminum into your mulch. Tie a few of these balloons to the posts around your garden. The shiny material and reflected light will scare away any insects or four-legged pests.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Fishing line. Nobody really knows why this one works, but it does. Got a row of seedlings? Drive a stake into each end of the row, then string 20-lb or greater fishing line monofilament) from one stake to the other, right above the row of plants. There is something about this fishing line that birds can’t stand, and it keeps them from coming near your wee veggies for their afternoon snack.”

Jennifer

Here is a list of what I have planted so far…

-orange trees (2 kinds)
-lemon trees (2 kinds)
-finger lime tree
-Anna apple tree
-blueberries (2 kinds)
-raspberries (3 kinds)
-boysenberries
-strawberries (2 kinds)
-pineapple guava tree
-passion fruit vine
-donut peach tree
-ice cream banana tree
-avocado tree
-melons (3 kinds)
-tomatoes (3 kinds)
-black carrots
-artichokes (2 kinds)
-peas (3 kinds)
-jigsaw peppers
-onions (2 kinds)
-stinging nettle
-rosemary
-mint
-chives

If you don’t mind me asking, did you plant your peach tree in the ground or a pot? I have some donut peach pits I saved that I’d like to grow in a pot to protect them from frost and animals, but I’m not sure if it’s ideal? Berries, melons, grapes and figs do fine potted, but my avocado’s growth was stunted so I’m not sure how ideal pots are for trees?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If you don’t mind me asking, did you plant your peach tree in the ground or a pot? I have some donut peach pits I saved that I’d like to grow in a pot to protect them from frost and animals, but I’m not sure if it’s ideal? Berries, melons, grapes and figs do fine potted, but my avocado’s growth was stunted so I’m not sure how ideal pots are for trees?
I put my peach tree in the ground. I am growing passion fruit, pineapple guava, finger lime, boysenberries, melons and some blueberries in pots.

Jennifer

I put my peach tree in the ground. I am growing passion fruit, pineapple guava, finger lime, boysenberries, melons and some blueberries in pots.

Hmm…then I may try it in a pot and if it doesn’t seem to be doing well, I can transfer it to the ground. Thank you, Rinse! :)

Jennifer

Let me know if it works and gives fruit.

Okay, will do. I just checked and apparently, unlike apple trees, peaches have no dwarf rootstock to keep the trees small, however, some varieties naturally grow smaller. They’re called “natural dwarfs” and the donut peach/Stark Saturn peach is a natural dwarf so it should hopefully thrive in a pot.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Okay, will do. I just checked and apparently, unlike apple trees, peaches have no dwarf rootstock to keep the trees small, however, some varieties naturally grow smaller. They’re called “natural dwarfs” and the donut peach/Stark Saturn peach is a natural dwarf so it should hopefully thrive in a pot.
Oh good! I was fine putting mine in the ground if it is going to give me more peaches, especially those donut peaches, they are SO good! Mine has already grown a foot in the last month!

Jennifer

Oh good! I was fine putting mine in the ground if it is going to give me more peaches, especially those donut peaches, they are SO good! Mine has already grown a foot in the last month!

Yes, they’re delicious! If you like grapes, you might also enjoy muscats. My favorite is a pink variety. It has a delicately sweet, floral flavor like the donut peach, and it’s not only as aromatic as honey but pretty, as well. If I lived where you live, I would plant my peach tree in the ground too, but there are too many animals in the woods here mistaking my garden for an all-you-can-eat salad bar. lol

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, they’re delicious! If you like grapes, you might also enjoy muscats. My favorite is a pink variety. It has a delicately sweet, floral flavor like the donut peach, and it’s not only as aromatic as honey but pretty, as well. If I lived where you live, I would plant my peach tree in the ground too, but there are too many animals in the woods here mistaking my garden for an all-you-can-eat salad bar. lol

I have skunks, possums, squirrels, coyotes, fox, bobcats, hawks, owls, and raccoons, and it is a battle to keep them out of my yard, but so far so good. As you can see in my peach tree pic I have lots of land, and orange groves beside and behind me. I planted red flame grapes, but I may get a second vine and get your recommendation.

Attachments

• EB070B1E-51BC-4B12-9F1D-0195240CB15F.jpeg
    EB070B1E-51BC-4B12-9F1D-0195240CB15F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

Jennifer

I have skunks, possums, squirrels, coyotes, fox, bobcats, hawks, owls, and raccoons, and it is a battle to keep them out of my yard, but so far so good. As you can see in my peach tree pic I have lots of land, and orange groves beside and behind me. I planted red flame grapes, but I may get a second vine and get your recommendation.

Your peach tree is so cute! I’m glad you’ve been able to keep the animals out of your yard. It’s a battle, for sure. I’m dealing with the same animals, as well as deer, moose, bears, wild turkeys, vultures, porcupines, groundhogs and chipmunks, but it looks like we live in two different landscapes. I’m surrounded by acres of dense woods:

3ED2D488-C2DE-4B03-BF7D-C66CBF66922A.jpeg 2549E079-DCB1-4F15-A183-1FEEBD34347E.jpeg 559E0D1F-61FB-477D-982E-2A71E2606833.jpeg

I’ve tried the things you’ve mentioned, as well as spraying the plants with pig’s blood (I will never do that again), but none of it has worked. My garden is against my house but they still come right up to it. The turkeys will even knock on our windows, no joke:

20230505_064727.jpg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your peach tree is so cute! I’m glad you’ve been able to keep the animals out of your yard. It’s a battle, for sure. I’m dealing with the same animals, as well as deer, moose, bears, wild turkeys, vultures, porcupines, groundhogs and chipmunks, but it looks like we live in two different landscapes. I’m surrounded by acres of dense woods:

View attachment 51246 View attachment 51247 View attachment 51250

I’ve tried the things you’ve mentioned, as well as spraying the plants with pig’s blood (I will never do that again), but none of it has worked. My garden is against my house but they still come right up to it. The turkeys will even knock on our windows, no joke:

View attachment 51252
Oh wow! You do have a worse situation Jennifer! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Jennifer

Oh wow! You do have a worse situation Jennifer! Thanks for sharing the pics!

You’re welcome, Rinse. :) It’s okay really. It looks like you consume a lot more plants than I do. There are only a handful of fruits I consume and they make up such a small portion of my diet now so there’s plenty of room on my deck to grow them in pots. The railing acts as a deterrent for the larger animals and I’ll be able to net the peach tree easily, since it shouldn’t grow beyond 6’.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals