Swimming downstream from dam spillway? Avoiding chlorine

ReSTART

I like swimming but I don't like chlorine.

Would swimming downstream from a spillway be a good idea?

Perry Staltic

Above or below a spillway is irrelevant. Just don't get so close that you go over (if upstream) or get sucked into the hole at the base (if downstream). What matters is what's being discharged into the river upstream.

OP
R

ReSTART

Sorry, I meant in the river that the water is being discharged into. The dam holds unprocessed rainwater for our city's water supply.

Perry Staltic

Sorry, I meant in the river that the water is being discharged into. The dam holds unprocessed rainwater for our city's water supply.

The rainwater pond should be pretty clean. What's upstream? Lots of cities discharge treated sewage into rivers, and factories dump all kinds of things into rivers.

OP
R

ReSTART

There's roadways near the river further down, which is why I wanted to go closer to the spillway (runoff of car pollutants into river). Certainly no factories or sewerage discharge here.

We have some other rivers further out but then you have issues of potential farmland runoff.

Perry Staltic

Sounds like you're pretty rural. The only other things I can think of are septic tank leakage and roundup runoff from houses up river.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals