Talc in Aspirin

kettlebell

This is a typical ingredients list in aspirin in the UK:

Active Ingredient: Each Tablet contains: 300mg Aspirin, Also contains: Lactose, Potato Starch and Talc.

Many of us use higher therapeutic doses of aspirin each day. I am not at all concerned about the lactose or potato starch (Some might be) but my main concern is with the talc.

Up until about 1/2 an hour ago I believed it to be Talc (Aluminium) Which is incorrect. The talc is Magnesium Silicate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Is this an issue? I know nothing about this substance, especially in higher doses (from taking up to 3gm a day aspirin)

Any input greatly received.

If anyone know of any other brands in the uk which are as cheap and have less exipients, any suggestion would be gratefully received.

jyb

kettlebell said:
This is a typical ingredients list in aspirin in the UK:

Active Ingredient: Each Tablet contains: 300mg Aspirin, Also contains: Lactose, Potato Starch and Talc.

Many of us use higher therapeutic doses of aspirin each day. I am not at all concerned about the lactose or potato starch (Some might be) but my main concern is with the talc.

Up until about 1/2 an hour ago I believed it to be Talc (Aluminium) Which is incorrect. The talc is Magnesium Silicate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Is this an issue? I know nothing about this substance, especially in higher doses (from taking up to 3gm a day aspirin)

Any input greatly received.

If anyone know of any other brands in the uk which are as cheap and have less exipients, any suggestion would be gratefully received.

I also live in the UK and I share your concern. I tried looking for aspirin with less ingredients (esp. talc), whether on UK online stores or local pharmacies, without success. I believe the ideal is pure aspirin powder, especially since we are taking it regularly. I didn't find it online for human consumption, please let me know if you succeed.

3g is a lot, what are the effects you are looking for? I never tried more than 300mg a day. Since you are doing 3g, what brand of vitamin K are you using?

OP
K

kettlebell

Hi JYB,

Life Extension super K is my preferred source. Im getting plenty more K in milk also. Im currently at 1500mg a day, always with food and always dissolved in warm water.

jyb

In the meantime, you could filter the tac and starch using a paper filter. I've read some people doing it. Maybe someone here could confirm that it is a good method, ie it does let all the acid go through while stopping talc and starch. For sure the larger white particules obtained once aspirin is dissolved are stopped by the filter.

Lucy

Isn't aspirin (ASA) quite insoluble in water? Because of that, I wonder about the recommendations to dissolve it in water to get rid of impurities...

jyb

Lucy said:
Isn't aspirin (ASA) quite insoluble in water? Because of that, I wonder about the recommendations to dissolve it in water to get rid of impurities...

I didn't think about that, I just assumed it.

Maybe the soluble aspirin should be preferred... it has more unwanted ingredients though.

Lucy

Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. - RP

I really wonder about this as I'm so sensitive to fillers at the moment... I have now even started using salicylic acid to avoid them :?

OP
K

kettlebell

jyb said:
In the meantime, you could filter the tac and starch using a paper filter. I've read some people doing it. Maybe someone here could confirm that it is a good method, ie it does let all the acid go through while stopping talc and starch. For sure the larger white particules obtained once aspirin is dissolved are stopped by the filter.

Thankyou jyb :):

key

Lucy said:

no asa easily dissolves in warm water(you can tell by the sour taste)

Dan W

jyb, I'd echo kettlebell's recommendation of Life Extension Super K, Peat specifically recommended it somewhere. the only additives are medium chain triglycerides, gelatin, glycerin, olive oil, beeswax and carob.

I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I found BC Headache Pain Reliever Powder to be the "cleanest" (see my aspirin brand ingredient listings) other than pet aspirin. But I am also curious if anyone has found pure aspirin powder intended for human consumption.

Lucy

I can only find plenty of sources for USP acetylsalicylic acid from China (Alibaba etc.).

jaketthomas

I don't know why anyone on Earth would recommend taking Aspirin as a supplement. It's a pharmaceutical creation, made in a lab, isolated from the beneficial compounds in White Willow Bark Extract. I don't understand why someone wouldn't just take White Willow Bark instead.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn, wow!!! Do you counteract the blood thinning with vitamin K?

Jenn, I am really appreciating everything you are sharing with us. Its really awesome that you have been doing this a while already, and have the experience. Thank you!!

Jenn

Oops, not 325 g, but 325 mg tablets. ;)

No, I do not take any K supplements. I back off if I experience any bruising, but that is very rare. I started with only taking one or 2 per day years ago....3 would cause bruising. As my metabolism increased and the gelatin repaired previous damage, I could take a lot more.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn, very cool. Thank you!

jyb

I notice the need for vit K with just one 325mg per day. I see the need after a few days. Vit K makes the blood thinning effect disappear immediately.

Beebop

kettlebell and jyb what brands are you guys using now? I'm using Co-op aspirin which has talc, starch and lactose. I want to find a better source.

I looked into the horse aspirin (on amazon) and was going to contact a vet to find out if it's safe for humans, but then I noticed it actually isn't pure, but has flavourings.

Talc is harmful if it comes into contact with mucous membranes on the outside of the body. In the stomach hopefully it all gets dissolved in stomach acid and turns into... something else?

jyb

@Beebop: I have not found anything yet here that doesn't have that formulation. It's the same thing for salt, every brand seems to use the same anti-caking agent. There isn't much diversity in these products, different brands but same ingredients.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals