Taurine Every Day For Ever And Ever. Problematic?

Greenie

So taurine really helps me with constipation and water retention. also my overall mood and motivation. I've been taking daily for 6 weeks or so- ranging between 1 and 4 grams a day. Before that, I was taking on and off- sometimes for a couple weeks, off a week, back on... yadda yadda.

My question: do I really need to take a month off? I stopped taking last week for 3 days and immediately felt the negative effects of constipation and water swelling. @haidut

lindsay

My I ask what your starting dose was? I took a 1 gram dose last week for two days and it gave me terrible nausea and a migraine for almost 3 days. I thought it was something I'd eaten, but then I made the correlation between starting the new supplement and the onset of the symptoms, which went away after I stopped taking it.

paymanz

if you take a normal dose like 1-2 gram a day it should be ok.in long term only concern is beta alanine functional deficiency.
and there is always a general concern about all supplements which is impurities.
monitoring how your body respond is probably best answer. :2cents:

OP
G

Greenie

My starting dose was quite high actually,, I was trying 5g Taurine with 5g of Glycine 3X a day. Planned to do that for a week but only lasted a day. It gave me diarrhea and my skin broke-out (not sure if related to taurine but maybe it caused a testosterone increase?) I had to drop down to just a gram or two of taurine with 5g of glycine twice a day. Now I take anywhere between 1 and 4g daily with glycine. I always take with food or else it can give me a stomach ache. Dissolving in juice seems to help if it's bothering my tummy too.

snowboard111

Taurine (and analogs) increase T4 into T3 conversion 2-fold

Haidut wrote this in that thread and i've had the same experience... Started with 5g a day for a month, then 10g a day for another month and after I stopped and didn't felt like the effect diminish whatsoever. I don't think there's any problems with a lower dose (1 to 3g) a day...

"...after 1 month of taurine intake the benefits reach a plateau and you can discontinue use. The endogenous taurine levels after a month of loading do not decrease until 2-3 months after discontinuation. Similar to creatine I guess.The endogenous taurine levels after a month of loading do not decrease until 2-3 months after discontinuation. Similar to creatine I guess."

lindsay

My starting dose was quite high actually,, I was trying 5g Taurine with 5g of Glycine 3X a day. Planned to do that for a week but only lasted a day. It gave me diarrhea and my skin broke-out (not sure if related to taurine but maybe it caused a testosterone increase?) I had to drop down to just a gram or two of taurine with 5g of glycine twice a day. Now I take anywhere between 1 and 4g daily with glycine. I always take with food or else it can give me a stomach ache. Dissolving in juice seems to help if it's bothering my tummy too.

May I ask what brand you use? I bought NOW Foods brand - it's pure Taurine powder and was pure agony. I'm afraid to touch it again, but not entirely unwilling to give it a try with food - maybe in small doses at first to make sure I don't end up with a nauseous migraine again.

Ritchie

May I ask what brand you use? I bought NOW Foods brand - it's pure Taurine powder and was pure agony. I'm afraid to touch it again, but not entirely unwilling to give it a try with food - maybe in small doses at first to make sure I don't end up with a nauseous migraine again.
I've used Taurine powder from both Pure Bulk and True Protein (Buy Taurine Powder). Both are excipient/additive free and seem to be very pure and great quality.

OP
G

Greenie

I also you Pure Bulk

Hugh Johnson

if you take a normal dose like 1-2 gram a day it should be ok.in long term only concern is beta alanine functional deficiency.
I've been taking several grams of taurine for like 10 months. Could you point me out to some info about this interaction? I'm only finding beta alanine causing taurine deficiency info.

Stryker

"with one molecule of taurine "buffering" each of the beta alanine molecules, the negative effects of beta alanine on the electron transport chain were blocked."

"
Co-ingestion (not necessarily at the same time) of adequate amounts of taurine or its precursors, methionine, respectively cysteine, would thus be the imperative prerequisite to benefit from the proven ergogenic effects (esp. during high-intensity exercise) of beta alanine."

i also could not find much about taurine effecting levels of beta alanine , i guess why not supplement both?

Last edited:

paymanz

haidut

Forum Supporter

The human studies showed that a loading protocol of 15g daily for a month replenished the stores and then scaling down to "just" 3g daily for another 6 months maintained the tissue levels. So, taking some time off is OK but if the dose was physiological then it will take some time to feel the effects again.

Hugh Johnson

Frankdee20

I've used Taurine powder from both Pure Bulk and True Protein (Buy Taurine Powder). Both are excipient/additive free and seem to be very pure and great quality.

Generally, the powders have zero excipients. I use the NOW Foods Double Taurine 1 gram capsules. Only contains the gelatin capsule, and vegetable stearate. I like powders but the dosing isn't accurate nor convenient. Who the hell is going to be on the run measuring out a gram ?

Inaut

Generally, the powders have zero excipients. I use the NOW Foods Double Taurine 1 gram capsules. Only contains the gelatin capsule, and vegetable stearate. I like powders but the dosing isn't accurate nor convenient. Who the hell is going to be on the run measuring out a gram ?

Mine came with a scoop.......

yomama

I'm taking it daily since more than 4 years now because my condition, in a range from 500mg up to 3gr depending on my current status and never felt/noticed a bad effect, blood tests all fine and improving since then.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I'm taking it daily since more than 4 years now because my condition, in a range from 500mg up to 3gr depending on my current status and never felt/noticed a bad effect, blood tests all fine and improving since then.

That's pretty sensational. I'd be budging on a year now myself too. A great staple for sure.

What's your blood sugar levels like?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals