The World’s Oldest Family Claims Eating Oatmeal Twice Daily Is The Secret

Bluebell

consistency was a bit loose, not thick. When dumped on plate it flowed to the edge neatly. Not watery. He was healthy, didn't drink. At one point he took some pycnogenol and it made his hair fall out. He stopped. I'm sure the gelatin was his addition not his Mom's . Trust me, he is a little Elf , witty , fun, he did things the traditional way. Was teaching me to build dry rock walls and weaving bushes, braiding bushes to create a living fence. Repaired doors on our barn with old hinges, etc. Yet, a couple of times experiencing the oatmeal ritual was enough for me. He lived in our spare bedroom for weeks while working around our Farm. And when he dumped the oatmeal on the plate, I would say, John wait......let me get my things so I can get out of the room.
It was a tad too OCD for me. It was a ritual......the same, the same, the same. And I was a Sound Recordist for 20 years, so listening to that spoon click that plate was beyond nails on a chalkboard for me. Everyone's different........thank goodness!
I love it, he sounds like a right character, a traditional Elf from Wales!

Peatress

Can you point to any quote where he was encouraging fruit fiber? He always said pectin in juice was terrible, to make sure it was well filtered.
Even if you strain fruit juice soluble fiber remains. He encouraged the eating of many different fruits

Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

Dr. Peat promoted the eating of fiber to manage estrogen and endotoxins. Not sure what kind of "peating" you claim you were doing if you don't know that.

InChristAlone

Even if you strain fruit juice soluble fiber remains. He encouraged the eating of many different fruits

Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

Dr. Peat promoted the eating of fiber to manage estrogen and endotoxins. Not sure what kind of "peating" you claim you were doing if you don't know that.
He was a fan of insoluble fiber in raw carrots. Carrots are toxic so I didn't eat them. He absolutely did not promote the eating of all kinds of fruits with their fiber. He believed pectin caused endotoxin. Please show me where he said to eat all kinds of fruit. He said a quart of well filtered OJ per day. It was the community that ate fruit not Ray. Ray always just had a quart of OJ per day.

Peatress

He was a fan of insoluble fiber in raw carrots. Carrots are toxic so I didn't eat them. He absolutely did not promote the eating of all kinds of fruits with their fiber. He believed pectin caused endotoxin. Please show me where he said to eat all kinds of fruit. He said a quart of well filtered OJ per day. It was the community that ate fruit not Ray. Ray always just had a quart of OJ per day.
That list of approved fruits was compiled from interviews/articles/personal correspondences.

Carrots are not toxic - many people eat carrots without issue. Some people rinse it to reduce the carotene. If carrot don't agree with you don't eat them.

Happycat

I have a friend born & raised in Wales. And quite a singer. He ate a giant 'Plate' of oatmeal everyday. Dumped it on a big plate because he says that's what his Mom did so it makes him think of her. When he stayed with us I had to leave the room because watching him eat this was insane. He would sprinkle sugar over the top of the oatmeal in a thin layer, then sprinkle gelatin (collagen) in a thin layer .......then look to his right, look to his left it was like a ritual and TUCK in. With a spoon......
click, slide, slurp......click, slide, slurp and on & on till finished. Click spoon on plate, slide spoon to get oatmeal, slurp down the hatch. Had to leave the room!
Sorry...long story long.......when he had a colonoscopy his Doctor naturally videoed it. He asked him to sign a form to let him use it as a teaching tool. Told him and gave him a copy of the video, that he had the cleanest, healthiest, pinkest, finest colon he had ever seen in all the years of being a Doctor.
Why did he have a colonoscopy? It is quite a serious procedure.

GTW

Why did he have a colonoscopy? It is quite a serious procedure.
No ***t, pun intended. But the manipulative medical Pimps recommend once every 10 years after a certain age, blissfully ignoring the risk benefit analysis for those without any suggestive symptoms.

InChristAlone

That list of approved fruits was compiled from interviews/articles/personal correspondences.

Carrots are not toxic - many people eat carrots without issue. Some people rinse it to reduce the carotene. If carrot don't agree with you don't eat them.
The beta carotene is an issue even if you rinse it, it's still extremely orange. And unless you see whole pieces of carrot in your poop then you absorb it especially if you use coconut oil with it like he suggests people do.

I'm not sure why you believe Ray was advising lots of whole fruit eating. He really was not. He bought oranges to juice them.

Here is a collection of Peat quotes:

Asking about salycilic acid intolerance due to reaction to fruits:
The fruits you mention all seriously increase serotonin. A sore throat is a quick effect, but some people get migraines from them. The pectin in raw apples causes the intestine to release serotonin into the blood, so well cooked apples have much less effect. Fruits contain almost no salicylic acid.

I found this Peat quote on fiber and thought I'd post it here. This is from Endotoxin, stress, depression March 2011 newsletter
Ray wrote:
By the 1980's studies in animals were showing that some kinds of fiber, including oat bran, pectin, corn bran, metamucil, undegraded carrageenan, agar, psyllium, guar gum and alfalfa were carcinogenic, increasing the incidence of colon cancer and possibly ovarian and breast cancer.
Question: do you believe a fiber free diet is possible in context of gut health and transit time for elimination.

"I’ve had a fiber-free diet for many years."

This is an interesting response and I might ask if he could elaborate at all. I think we are all under the impression that RP eats some amounts of fiber, carrots, mushrooms, turnips, fruit, etc. I'm wondering now if these are more recommendations but not necessarily what he actually eats.

Q. I know you advise the usual carrot/bamboo/mushrooms for fibers. I saw a comment of yours that commented about potato fiber being protective against bowel cancer, I wondered if there were any other fibers that you don't often talk about, that protect against bowel cancer in a similar way?
In general, cellulose fibers do protect against bowel cancer, but a few plant fibers that contain lignin or that are fermentable increase cancer. Wheat bran is the only common cereal fiber that’s protective.

Cancer Res. 1986 Apr;46(4 Pt 1):1727-34.
Relationship between colonic luminal pH, cell proliferation, and colon
carcinogenesis in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine treated rats fed high fiber diets.
Jacobs LR, Lupton JR.
The comparative effects of different fibers on colonic luminal pH, crypt cell
proliferation, and colon carcinogenesis were studied in 120 male Sprague-Dawley
rats. The animals were divided into five equal groups and fed either a basal
fiber free diet or the basal diet supplemented with 10% pectin, cellulose or
guar, or 20% oat bran for up to 30 weeks. 1,2-Dimethylhydrazine was given at 20
mg/kg body weight as a weekly s.c. injection for 12 weeks. Food intake and weight
gain were similar in all diet groups. At sacrifice, in vivo pH measurements
showed that compared to fiber free rats, all fibers significantly acidified large
bowel luminal contents (P less than 0.05). In the guar group 62.5% of rats
developed colonic tumors compared to 33.4% of the fiber free rats (P less than
0.05). The yield of proximal colonic adenocarcinomas in the oat bran, pectin, and
guar groups was increased by 4.5 to 5 times over the fiber free level (P less
than 0.05-0.025). Pectin and guar provided the greatest stimulus to cell
proliferation. A lower luminal pH was associated with a higher tumor yield and
increased epithelial cell proliferation. Thus, acidification of colonic contents
by high fiber diets failed to inhibit rat colon carcinogenesis, while the
consumption of soluble fibers, such as oat bran, pectin, and guar, was associated
with enhancement of proximal colon carcinogenesis.

Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1986 Dec;183(3):299-310.
Relationship between dietary fiber and cancer: metabolic, physiologic, and
cellular mechanisms.
Jacobs LR.
The relationships between fiber consumption and human cancer rates have been
examined, together with an analysis of the effects of individual dietary fibers
on the experimental induction of large bowel cancer. The human epidemiology
indicates an inverse correlation between high fiber consumption and lower colon
cancer rates. Cereal fiber sources show the most consistent negative correlation.
However, human case-control studies in general fail to confirm any protective
effect due to dietary fiber. Case-control studies indicate that if any source of
dietary fiber is possibly antineoplastic then it is probably vegetables. These
results may mean that purified fibers alone do not inhibit tumor development,
whereas it is likely that some other factors present in vegetables are
antineoplastic. Experiments in laboratory animals, using chemical induction of
large bowel cancer, have in general shown a protective effect with supplements of
poorly fermentable fibers such as wheat bran or cellulose. In contrast, a number
of fermentable fiber supplements including pectin, corn bran, oat bran,
undegraded carageenan, agar, psyllium, guar gum, and alfalfa have been shown to
enhance tumor development.
Possible mechanisms by which fibers may inhibit colon
tumorigenesis include dilution and adsorption of any carcinogens and/or promoters
contained within the intestinal lumen, the modulation of colonic microbial
metabolic activity, and biological modification of intestinal epithelial cells.
Dietary fibers not only bind carcinogens, bile acids, and other potential toxins
but also essential nutrients, such as minerals, which can inhibit the
carcinogenic process. Fermentation of fibers within the large bowel results in
the production of short chain fatty acids, which in vivo stimulate cell
proliferation, while butyrate appears to be antineoplastic in vitro. Evidence
suggests that if dietary fibers stimulate cell proliferation during the stage of
initiation, then this may lead to tumor enhancement. Fermentation also lowers
luminal pH, which in turn modifies colonic microbial metabolic acidity, and is
associated with increased epithelial cell proliferation and colon carcinogenesis.
Because dietary fibers differ in their physiochemical properties it has been
difficult to identify a single mechanism by which fibers modify colon
carcinogenesis. Clearly, more metabolic and physiological studies are needed to
fully define the mechanisms by which certain fibers inhibit while others enhance
experimental colon carcinogenesis.

Prev Med. 1987 Jul;16(4):566-71.
Effect of dietary fiber on colonic cell proliferation and its relationship to
colon carcinogenesis.
Jacobs LR.
The addition of specific fiber supplements to semipurified diets has been shown
to stimulate large bowel cell proliferation in laboratory rodents. Relatively
insoluble fibers such as cellulose, which is poorly fermented, the more-soluble
oat bran, and inert bulking agents such as kaolin produce little or no effect on
cell growth. On the other hand, wheat bran, pectin, guar gum, and degraded
carageenan all stimulate large bowel cell proliferation, the greatest growth
response tending to occur in the cecum or proximal colon. The proximal large
bowel is also the major site for the intestinal fermentation of dietary fiber and
any other nonabsorbed carbohydrates. The fermentation of fiber by colonic
microorganisms results in the production of short-chain fatty acids and a lower
pH of large bowel contents, metabolic events known to be associated with
increased epithelial cell growth. In general, factors that stimulate cell growth
also enhance tumor development, a concept that holds true in the colon even for
dietary fibers such as pectin and guar gum. Wheat bran can also stimulate colon
carcinogenesis when fed only during carcinogen exposure. Oat bran and corn bran
may stimulate colon carcinogenesis by increasing fecal bile acid excretion, a
feature of many soluble fibers, while the acidification of large bowel contents
is associated with an increased frequency of chemically induced colonic cancers.

A greater understanding of colonic metabolism and cell physiology is needed to
define fully the mechanisms by which dietary fibers modify colon cancer
development.

J Nutr. 1997 Nov;127(11):2217-25.
Wheat bran diet reduces tumor incidence in a rat model of colon cancer
independent of effects on distal luminal butyrate concentrations.
Zoran DL, Turner ND, Taddeo SS, Chapkin RS, Lupton JR.
Faculty of Nutrition, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-2471, USA.
To investigate the effects of dietary fibers in colonic luminal physiology and
their role in the prevention of colon cancer, a study was conducted using two
diet groups and two treatment groups in a 2 x 2 factorial design. The two diets
differed only in the type of dietary fiber, wheat bran and oat bran, and the two
treatments were injection with the colon-specific carcinogen azoxymethane, or
saline, as a control. There were 34 rats in the carcinogen-injected groups and 11
saline-injected rats per diet group. The goal of the study was to determine if a
moderate consumption (6 g/100 g diet) of wheat bran or oat bran would alter the
development of colonic tumors in this rat model of colon cancer, and if the
differences in tumor incidence were correlated to luminal butyrate
concentrations, luminal pH or fecal bulk. Short-chain fatty acid concentrations
(SCFA) were measured in feces during the first half of the study (the promotion
phase of tumor development) and again at the end of the study. Rats consuming oat
bran had greater body weights (P < 0. 002), produced much larger concentrations
of all SCFA, including butyrate, in both the proximal and distal colon (P <
0.0001), had more acidic luminal pH values (P < 0.0001), but also had
significantly more development of colon tumors (
P < 0.03). Alternatively, rats
consuming wheat bran produced more typical molar ratios of the SCFA (65:10:20),
had a relatively greater concentration of butyrate than propionate, and produced
a larger volume (P < 0.05) and more bulky stool than the rats fed oat bran. The
results of this study support other evidence that an acidic luminal pH is not
protective in and of itself, and that diets containing wheat bran are protective
against colon cancer development. In addition, these data show that large luminal
butyrate concentrations in the distal colon alone, as were present in the rats
consuming oat bran diets, are not protective of tumor development.

Cancer Res. 1989 Aug 15;49(16):4629-35.
Biochemical epidemiology of colon cancer: effect of types of dietary fiber on
fecal mutagens, acid, and neutral sterols in healthy subjects.
Reddy B, Engle A, Katsifis S, Simi B, Bartram HP, Perrino P, Mahan C.
Division of Nutrition and Endocrinology, American Health Foundation, Valhalla,
New York 10595.
Several epidemiological studies suggest an inverse relationship between fiber
intake and colon cancer risk. Animal model studies indicate that this inhibitory
effect depends on the source of dietary fiber. Because of the potential
significance of certain colonic mutagens and secondary bile acids in the
pathogenesis of colon cancer, the effect of types of supplemental fiber on fecal
mutagens and bile acids was studied in human volunteers. Seventy-two healthy
individuals consuming high-fat/moderately low-fiber diets were screened for fecal
mutagenic activity using the Ames Salmonella typhimurium/microsomal assay system.
Twenty-one of them were found to excrete high levels of mutagens, and 19 of them
were recruited for the diet intervention study. All participants provided two
24-h stool specimens and a 4-day food record while consuming their normal
(control) diet. They were then asked to consume the control diet plus 10 g of
dietary fiber from wheat bran, oat fiber, or cellulose for 5 wk. After each fiber
period, they were asked to consume their control diet. At the end of each fiber
and control diet period, each subject provided two 24-h stool specimens. Stool
samples were analyzed for bile acids and mutagens using the Ames strains TA98 and
TA100 with or without S9 (microsomal) activation. The concentrations of fecal
secondary bile acids (deoxycholic acid, lithocholic acid, and 12-ketolithocholic
acid) and of fecal mutagenic activity in TA98 and TA100 with and without S9
activation were significantly lower during the wheat bran and cellulose
supplementation periods. Oat fiber supplementation had no such effect on these
fecal constituents. Thus, the increased fiber intake in the form of wheat bran or
cellulose may reduce the production and/or excretion of mutagens in the stools
and decrease the concentration of fecal secondary bile acids in humans.

Prev Med. 1987 Jul;16(4):540-4.
Fiber, stool bulk, and bile acid output: implications for colon cancer risk.
McPherson-Kay R.
Dietary fiber has direct effects on stool bulk and bile acid output that may be
of relevance in the etiology of colon cancer. Most types of fiber increase the
total volume of stool and reduce the concentration of specific substances,
including bile acids, that are in contact with the bowel wall. However, fibers
differ in their effect on stool bulk, with wheat fiber being a more effective
stool bulking agent than fruit and vegetable fibers. In addition, the extent to
which a specific fiber reduces bile acid concentration will be modified by its
concomitant effects on total fecal sterol excretion. Whereas wheat bran reduces
fecal bile acid concentration, pectin, lignin, and oat bran do not.
These three
fibers significantly increase total bile acid output. Bile acids act as promoters
of colonic tumors in mutagenesis assay systems and in various animal models.
Human epidemiological studies show a relationship between various dietary
variables, including fat and fiber intake, fecal concentration of bile acids, and
colon cancer risk.
"You've mentioned that beans have a low quality of protein. Is an amino acid in a bean not the same chemical structure of an amino acid in milk or eggs? If the amino acids from the beans are absorbed, aren't they used in the same way that the amino acids from milk and eggs are used once in the bloodstream? This is assuming that the person has no negative reactions from the beans and that they are properly prepared."

RE: "One factor is the balance of the amino acids, but other factors are the indigestible fiber and the unsaturated fats."

Me:I have been searching good allergen-free fructose and have given up, All are made from corn. Instead, I've decided on using instead agave syrup and pear juice, as they have 80% and 70% fructose respectively. I was hoping to run a few tests on myself first, and see how my glucose tolerance test would look like with agave, pear juice, regular cane sugar, and white rice. Then, I'd like to test the use on some friends who are diabetic, and see how they respond. Would agave be a good replacement for pure fructose?

Ray: A problem with apples and pears is their pectin content, which can potentially cause bowel inflammtion. The high temperature necessary to concentrate the agave fluid (called aguamiel before it’s fermented into pulque) into a sort of molasses causes a Maillard reaction, producing toxins, but I don’t think that product is sold in the US. The “agave nectar” that’s sold in the US is made from the core of the plant, rather than the juice, so it's a very artificial industrial product, and it’s risky in a variety of ways, including allergens.

[2022]
[me] Hey Dr Peat,
I was wondering if there is any relationship between the gut and the lungs/heart and how well they function in relation to gut health.

I've noticed the more starch and fermentable fibers i eat the worse my breathlessness and heart palpitations, maybe there is a relationship to endotoxin, excess serotonin, estrogen and histamine?

[Ray] The connection is very close. A clean intestine helps.

“HD: So cascara would be pretty for improving bowel motility and excretion?

RP: Yeah and some of the so-called soluble fibres, even pectin for example from fruit can greatly increase the production of serotonin and disturb the sleep.

Michael Mohn

Wow and Peat would have cited a study claiming whole grains cause colon cancer.

Peat was eating cooked oat bran for breakfast.

Very high levels of fiber in the diet increase the risk of colon cancer doesn't say to avoid fiber completely. Supplementing chronically fiber while reducing sugar will cause constipation and fermentation, increasing endotoxin.

Nothing wrong with Peat's opinions.
You obviously struggle with nuances and complex ideas.

Just stick to your vitamin A bashing.

Honeycomb

I am currently reading Nutrition for Women again. It’s quite fascinating! A little reminder that Dr Peat’s texts (and/or interviews) are very nuanced and contextual ...

“The daily use of a few spoonfuls of bran in the breakfast cereal, or of a carrot as a snack (or grated, as a salad), can prevent practically all constipation. A high fiber diet also lowers the risk of bowel cancer ...” p84 - Laxatives

“Since all nutrients work together, it’s generally best to eat a variety of foods at each meal.”
Greens and vegetables should be eaten with the animal proteins.”
“Many people are ruining their health by avoiding too many foods.” p81 - Interactions

“Soon after waking, a piece of fruit. For breakfast, an egg and cereal or toast (using pre-soaked grain for the cereal or bread) ; milk on cereal, butter on toast. Two hours after breakfast, a snack of cheese (1/2 ounce) and raw carrot. For lunch, a tuna salad ; fruit or milk if more calories are needed. For supper, maybe oyster stew and a salad and a potato - or, a chicken breast, well boiled spinach or broccoli, and fruit. Just before bed, another snack of milk and fruit.” p90 - One woman’s typical diet for a day

Dr Peat often talked about how cooking and soaking can greatly reduce the anti-thyroid effects of certain foods like grains and vegetables.
As we know, he tried and experimented with many foods (including oatbran) throughout his life.

I think that we should try to eat a variety of foods (that make us feel good) and take care with how we prepare food. Peeling and de-seeding fruit or vegetables can also help remove lectins and pectins.

Of late, I have been enjoying a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every morning. The article put a smile on my face so thank you @Clyde for sharing. I soak my oats overnight, cook them slowly with milk and water, a sprinkle of vanilla powder and butter, I add some fruit (usually cooked apples) and serve with some honey on top. It’s delicious and it also makes me feel warm.

youngsinatra

Oats have a good amount of soluble fiber, which are good for phase III detoxification.

I think legumes/beans are better than oats due to their high folate and molybdenum content. (up to 1200mcg Mo/100g)

Peatress

“The fruit comes with many of the minerals which work in place of insulin and have a slightly suppressive effect on the insulin. And the fruit has a strange side effect. It happens to promote cholesterol production, and that's one of the reasons I emphasize having plenty of fruit sugar because the fructose, while it doesn't cause obesity, it does help your liver to produce more cholesterol, which is then available if your thyroid is functioning, to turn into the protective hormones pregnenolone and progesterone.”

“But in a practical situation where a person might want to raise their cholesterol, you can usually do it just by eating lots of fruit because for several reasons. The minerals and sugar in the fruit give the liver the energy it needs to make adequate cholesterol and there's, they call it a U-shaped curve of mortality. You have an ideal range of cholesterol for a given age and when you're below that range, your mortality increases.”

“So it's no problem at all to get your high cholesterol down to normal, but to get low cholesterol up to normal so that you have the defensive anti-cancer, anti-aging, anti-stress hormones, fruit is really the only practical thing I know of that will help the liver recover from the toxic unsaturated fats and estrogens and other things that block cholesterol production.”

“Is that it triggers a great surge of insulin and the insulin then triggers cortisol and so if you can eat foods that don't trigger insulin that's the ideal thing and fruit happens to be the best single type of food for not triggering the stress reaction because it combines very small amounts of protein with large amounts of sugar and the minerals Potassium happens to handle the sugar in place of insulin and the fructose component of fruit sugar doesn't require insulin so eating a lot of fruit even in one meal a day produces much smaller amount of insulin obesity and cortisol than eating just one big meal of meat and potatoes for example.”

“Bananas, again, excel in their high serotonin content, which has, before people were aware of it, they were diagnosing intestinal tumors when they found high serotonin content in the urine, because some tumors produce excess serotonin. And if you eat bananas or prunes and plums, kiwis, several types of fruit are high in serotonin, so that's just one factor to be aware of, but starch and allergens are probably generally more important. And pretty much that leaves some things like watermelons and grapes and citrus fruits, oranges in particular.”

“And so even apples, some brands of apples have quite a high allergen content, and cooking many of the allergenic fruits makes them safer to eat. And the same with the starches. Very well cooked starchy fruits are much safer than the raw fruits. And a third factor in fruits to watch out for is the serotonin content.”

Q: Sophie, she's in Jacksonville, Florida. Dr. P, what are your thoughts on cactus fruit like prickly pear and dragon fruit?

A: Some research says that they have high calcium to phosphate ratio. - The main thing is they're delicious foods and growing in the desert, they do tend to have lots of minerals. In some of the traditional areas of Mexico, they cook down the prickly pear fruit, make a mush of it and then concentrate it and it's one of the most delicious candies I've ever tasted.

InChristAlone

Haha this is quite hilarious. Peat changed his mind multiple times on fiber. But I think @charlie who has run this forum for over a decade would concur with me that in general he recommended against fruit and grain fiber and usually promoted only strained OJ because ripe fruit is hard to come by (he's not wrong on that ripe fruit is very hard to find, that's why I prefer bananas).

InChristAlone

Peat was eating cooked oat bran for breakfast.

Very high levels of fiber in the diet increase the risk of colon cancer doesn't say to avoid fiber completely. Supplementing chronically fiber while reducing sugar will cause constipation and fermentation, increasing endotoxin.

Nothing wrong with Peat's opinions.
You obviously struggle with nuances and complex ideas.

Just stick to your vitamin A bashing.
I quoted Peat multiple times about fiber and you attack me for not knowing nuance? Might need more of that carrot salad! 😂

Peatress

Out of interest @InChristAlone walk us through what you were doing when you were "peating" I'm particularly interested in the early days when you first discovered Dr. Peat's work.

InChristAlone

Out of interest @InChristAlone walk us through what you were doing when you were "peating" I'm particularly interested in the early days when you first discovered Dr. Peat's work.
Early days I just had a baby. I still was eating fruit instead of only juice. I was doing very well health wise, but not getting much sleep obviously from nursing all the time. So my temp ended up pretty low. It kinda shocked me because I was learning how important thyroid was. So I went on thyroid. 1 grain a day. I also eventually started drinking coffee with lots of sugar as the Facebook groups were suggesting to prevent blood sugar crashes. I eventually started consuming more and more OJ instead of fruit and learned how bad whole grains and beans were so I stopped any of those. I think oatmeal was more of a staple in our family until then but not everyday. I came from Weston a price style diet. I did epsom salt baths pretty regularly. I took thiamine every once in a while. I ate liver every once in a while. I was still consuming raw milk when I first started but stopped after a yr or so. Switching to grocery store whole milk was awful. I developed a very white furry tongue on a diet of milk and OJ with some other stuff that varied day to day such as pulled pork or burgers. I wasn't always strict about my diet (I'm sure only the most obsessive people are). Being a very stressed Mom I ate some convenience foods. But I tried to limit fried foods and vegetables oils of course. I lost a lot of weight breastfeeding and using coffee and eating a lot of chocolate. I thought I was dying. Then even eating a carrot upset my stomach. I couldn't eat a bean burrito from Chipotle at all without panic attacks. I had one of the worst panic attacks after eating some refried beans for two days. Seriously thought I was going to end up in a mental hospital or have my kids taken away because my health was so bad. We also had a moldy house for 4 yrs. But I started healing while in mold by quitting coffee, OJ, chocolate, and milk and did cheese or ice cream and bananas instead.

Anyway it's really hard to sum up over a decade of eating. But I definitely avoided fiber on the Ray Peat lifestyle to avoid endotoxin.

I am now eating black beans everyday no anxiety or depression even premenstrually. I don't drink any juice. I eat one to two bananas a day. Seasonal fruit in the summer. The rest is white rice, pasta and meat. It's healing my stomach and intestine to finally tolerate fiber again.

Honeycomb

Haha this is quite hilarious. Peat changed his mind multiple times on fiber. But I think @charlie who has run this forum for over a decade would concur with me that in general he recommended against fruit and grain fiber and usually promoted only strained OJ because ripe fruit is hard to come by (he's not wrong on that ripe fruit is very hard to find, that's why I prefer bananas).
As a researcher, Dr Peat would have been constantly evolving. Science is really a way of thinking about the world. Scientists and researchers are always learning, experimenting, evaluating and consequently changing their minds.

I personally have huge respect for him as a person and am very thankful for his work. I am learning.

But, you are quite right about him recommending strained orange juice and advising against eating unripe fruit. He did.

I don’t know what you eat now or ate in the past but I don’t think that anyone should continue to eat the same things and expect the results to be different either.

Happycat

No ***t, pun intended. But the manipulative medical Pimps recommend once every 10 years after a certain age, blissfully ignoring the risk benefit analysis for those without any suggestive symptoms.
Wow, that's crazy, I didn't know that.
Here in Scotland , after the age of 50 they send you a stool sample test every year, to do at home, and if there's something wrong with that, they investigate further.

Happycat

I have always loved to have fiber in my diet, wheatbran and oatbran, my digestion seems better for it.

Since adding psyllium fiber and beans every day (doing a not very strict version of the Karen Hurd bean protocol) my gut is very very happy, no more bloating and I have almost no pain in my gallbladder.

Can you point to any quote where he was encouraging fruit fiber? He always said pectin in juice was terrible, to make sure it was well filtered.
he ate fruit and would talk about it, other than bananas and apples. Chermoyas were mentioned for instance.

freyasam

“The daily use of a few spoonfuls of bran in the breakfast cereal, or of a carrot as a snack (or grated, as a salad), can prevent practically all constipation. A high fiber diet also lowers the risk of bowel cancer ...” p84 - Laxatives
If only this were true for me! (and at least two other people I know) Maybe that works for mild constipation but not moderate to severe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom