Thyroid Supp : where to start ? 🤔

French.cat

Forum Supporter
Hi there !

I'm female, French, 65 kilos, 31 years old and life-long depression and anxiety (+diagnosed ADHD).
I'm trying to eat carbs again after being low carb for a while, but I find myself struggling with weight gain, especially with starch.
When I track my calories, I realize than eating more than 1500 a day make me putt on fat. I precise something : my carbs to protein ratio is 2,5:1 and my fat is around 65/70 gr a day
Unfortunately, If I wanna be able to SLEEP (yeah, I have insomnia too 👌) I HAVE to eat 2500 to 3000 calories.
I think my stress hormones are at the top of the world ^^

Well, I often get cold in my hands and feet, and my digestion is VERY sluggish most of the time ----> worsen the depression
SOOOOO I am thinking about trying the desiccated thyroid glandular I bought from Iherb (brand : Allergy research group) even if the ingredients are not great...
Because I have great energy and anxiety lift after 2500 calories but I also get a LOT of acne and terrible fat gain... I don't want to raise up my set-point weight !!

I do fitness 3 times a week.

How to properly start with my new supplement, to your opinion ?

Thanks A LOT !

Love,

A French Cat

eimearrose

Hi there !

I'm female, French, 65 kilos, 31 years old and life-long depression and anxiety (+diagnosed ADHD).
I'm trying to eat carbs again after being low carb for a while, but I find myself struggling with weight gain, especially with starch.
When I track my calories, I realize than eating more than 1500 a day make me putt on fat. I precise something : my carbs to protein ratio is 2,5:1 and my fat is around 65/70 gr a day
Unfortunately, If I wanna be able to SLEEP (yeah, I have insomnia too 👌) I HAVE to eat 2500 to 3000 calories.

Well, I often get cold in my hands and feet, and my digestion is VERY sluggish most of the time ----> worsen the depression
SOOOOO I am thinking about trying the desiccated thyroid glandular I bought from Iherb (brand : Allergy research group) even if the ingredients are not great...
Because I have great energy and anxiety lift after 2500 calories but I also get a LOT of acne and terrible fat gain... I don't want to raise up my set-point weight !!

Thanks A LOT !

Love,

A French Cat
I also need 2500-3000 to sleep and had terrible digestion and cold extremities too.
I used to use lots of exercise to control my weight and eat what I needed to not feel starving all the time, but my sleep still wasn't great. I did gain some weight when I stopped running, but I think I also needed that to sleep well; having too low body fat keeps you in a stressed state and wrecks sleep. I used to be 54kg but am now 59kg and although I still sometimes wish I was thinner, I'd rather feel warm and sleep through the night.
I don't know the dosage of that dessicated glandular, I have used something like that last year, but I prefer synthetic T4 and T3. I use Tyromix and a little Tyronene from Idealabs, which I get delivered to the UK (Northern Ireland), so I image you could get it delivered to France just fine. I was using a combination of both so that I had a ratio of 1:1 T3:T4 but I am now almost exclusively using Tyromix, 12 drops a day, 4 drops with each meal. That's equivalent to 2 grains per day of what dessicated thyroid would be. I still have plenty of Tyronene (pure T3) and would intend to use it in between meals or before bed in the winter if I feel I need more. If you have strong hypothyroid symptoms, I personally wouldn't mess around with low doses but just try 1-2 grains worth of thyroid and see how you feel after 2 weeks. I don't think taking slightly too much is that dangerous as after 2 weeks you'll know and can cut back. I started off with T3 only as it's got a shorter half life and if you take too much the side effects will be short lived. I used T3 to work out how much I needed, but as it's annoying taking it so often, I started gradually replacing some of the T3 with the combination of T3 and T4 in Tyromix to replace some of the T3. I started out with 3 drops of Tyronene a day, 24mcg, and every 3 days added another drop until I got to 6 drops (48mcg) and then I switched to 6 drops Tyromix (2 per meal) plus 2 drops Tyronene, then went to 4 drops Tyromix per meal. I feel that's a good dose for me to have great sleep, good body temp, pulse is still low but trending up, and my weight has stayed stable (after the initial increase from cutting out 90-100 miles (140-160k) of running a week).
Just to note that most people here seem to start with much smaller doses, but my metabolism was so bad from all the running I didn't want to spend weeks on a suboptimal dose gaining a bunch of unnecessary weight.
For sluggish digestion, I can't eat a classic Peat style diet. I eat lots of soluble fibre in the form of beans and some psyllium husk too. This helps me have normal bowel function. Thyroid supplementation combined with a Peat style diet worsens constipation for me and the carrot salad does absolutely nothing for me. I should note I have coeliac disease and a history of colitis so my solutions may not apply to everyone.
Good luck!

eimearrose

Hi there !

Thanks A LOT !

Love,

A French Cat
I just saw your other thread about depression; when I started thyroid I noted a huge uplift in my mood. I didn't consider myself depressed before then, but it made me so optimistic. I was really sick a few months ago and all supplements, and after a few weeks became really low mood. I decided to restart thyroid and my mood was back to my cheerful self in a few days. I have stayed off all the other supplements. Just to note that thyroid might definitely be worth trying given the range of symptoms you have been dealing with.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals