Trigonelline - an NAD+ precursor with muscle longevity benefits across species

David PS

Trigonelline is an alkaloid is a zwitterion formed by the methylation of the nitrogen atom of niacin (vitamin B3). It is a product of niacin metabolism that is excreted in urine of mammals. Trigonelline is lower in muscle with the age-related progressive loss of muscle mass and strength (saropenia). Surprising to me, drinking coffee, (especially from light roasted beans) can raise the level of trigonelline in muscle and is it appears to have a much longer life in vivo than some of the other NAD+ precusors. It is laid out in the video below. For convenience, I have included some images from the presentation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S8fkfTPWC0

NAD+ levels are low in Sarcopenic muscle.
Fig. 6c
- Muscle NAD+ levels positively correlate to ALM-index, grip strength, gait speed, and mitochondrial complex I activity.

In more recent work reported in the video,

1701041886350.png

It appears the trigonelline is much more stable than NR and NMR in the human body.
1701082846159.png

This article was mentioned in the video -

Findings of trigonelline demethylating enzyme activity in various organisms and some properties of the enzyme from hog liver

GTW

Trigonelline is named for fenugreek where it was first identified. It's a metabolite of nicotine in smokers. And found with nicotine in tobacco.

OP
David PS

David PS

GTW

Light roasts don't taste as good to me. French and darker not either. But a wee pinch of salt makes them delicious.

Dave Clark

Is the trigonelline in coffee in the final brewed product, or just in the beans? Some components of coffee beans are not there after roasting or brewing, just wondering about this compound.

OP
David PS

David PS

@GTW - Thanks for the tip on adding salt to improve the flavor. I have not yet tried a light roast coffee.

OP
David PS

David PS

Is the trigonelline in coffee in the final brewed product, or just in the beans? Some components of coffee beans are not there after roasting or brewing, just wondering about this compound.

It is my understanding that trigonelline converts into niacin and that this conversion is at least responsible for part of the niacin in the final brewed product. Earlier posts on the forum suggested that dark roasts were desireable because of the high niacin.

This article states that decaf contains less trigonelline than caffeinated coffee.

Ismail

It is my understanding that trigonelline converts into niacin and that this conversion is at least responsible for part of the niacin in the final brewed product. Earlier posts on the forum suggested that dark roasts were desireable because of the high niacin.

This article states that decaf contains less trigonelline than caffeinated coffee.

@David PS

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 6
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom