Waking Up At Night, PCOS, Acanthosis Nigricans

Bluebell

So if Shesjay has this diagnosed serious insulin resistance, what's the best way to fit it, peat-style?

Continue with thyroid, dairy/sugar, and have protein earlier in day - are these the main things?

Peata

Bluebell said:
So if Shesjay has this diagnosed serious insulin resistance, what's the best way to fit it, peat-style?

Continue with thyroid, dairy/sugar, and have protein earlier in day - are these the main things?

I would like to know this too.

Katty

mamaherrera said:
I too have PCOS< and have had it for years. I am so interested in all this knowledge you all have about fixing thyroid and how that will perhaps get rid of the "temporary" insulin resistance, so that maybe my PCOS, androgen symptoms will go away. I always have high adronestione (did I spell it right) and it causes me lots of problems. I also struggle so much with sleeping. I used to do low carb, so maybe that caused it, but I would be so happier if I could balance my hormones out. Someone said they have been able to talk directly to Peat, himself, is that true?? If now, is there anyone on this site who could help me out?? I would so love to help prevent any more thinning of my hair from these male hormones, and I don't want to use Rogain in the future.

Your post made made me remember some questions I've had-- maybe someone can enlighten us:

Why does this "temporary" insulin resistance or temporary diabetes, or whatever we're calling it, cause a rise in androgens (if that is indeed what's going on... if not a rise in androgens, what is causing some facial hair, hair loss on head, etc)?

Also, as a separate question: I have had pcos symptoms on and off for some years- but testosterone levels were never high, so what is going on in that instance?

mamaherrera

And to continue on with those good questions, I don't get why we are lowering estrogen to in turn also lower testosterone (androgens) because supposedly testosterone rises to protect us from high estrogen, but then take magnesium, zinc, and other supplements that raise testosterone?? There are lots of intelligent people on here, hopefully they can help. I can't think much more today, had a bad night of sleep, couldn't stop thinking!

PUFA is behind "insulin resistance". And then hypothyroidism itself is listed right along insulin issues among the causes of Acanthosis nigricans.

From Wikipedia:

<<Increased circulating insulin. This activates keratinocyte ILGF receptors, particularly IGF-1. At high concentrations, insulin may also displace IGF-1 from IGFBP. Increased circulating IGF may lead to keratinocyte and dermal fibroblast proliferation.>>

LucyL

Bluebell said:

Ray's article on Glycemia, Starch and Sugar in Context talks about insulin resistance.

Unsaturated fatty acids, adrenaline, and cortisol cause insulin resistance.

The experiments of Bernardo Houssay (1947 Nobel laureate) in the 1940s, in which sugar and coconut oil protected against diabetes, followed by Randle's demonstration of the antagonism between fats and glucose assimilation, and the growing recognition that polyunsaturated fatty acids cause insulin resistance and damage the pancreas, have made it clear that the dietetic obsession with sugar in relation to diabetes has been a dangerous diversion that has retarded the understanding of degenerative metabolic diseases.

Niacinamide, aspirin, sugar, protein and coconut oil are all mentioned in the article to treat diabetic issues.

mamaherrera

good points, getting to the root causes. Now just to stress less to not raise cortisol/adrenaline. that is the key!

Katty

I'm still confused about some of it...
Certain symptoms that have been associated with PCOS, such as facial hair, hair loss on head, and ovarian cysts, can be attributed to high cortisol levels. Can someone explain how the high cortisol levels cause those symptoms.... Does the cortisol raise estrogen... causing unwanted hair?
I think I missed it in Ray's article if he explains it. I know he says that all diabetics are essentially hypothyroid... Which could then lead to hair loss on head. But why the excess hair growth elsewhere (I'm curious to know why both when the testosterone is raised in an individual, and when it isn't).

Also, with pcos, those above-listed symptoms are often coupled with high testosterone levels. Is the cortisol causing the testosterone to rise? Or is something else going on?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I believe the root cause is estrogen. I will have to do some Peat research to back this up. I'm off to hit the books!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found this quote from Ray Peat's article -Estrogen and Brain Aging in Men and Women:Depression, Energy and Stress
Besides providing new insights into biological energy and aging, the recognition that estrogen activates the stress hormone system-the pituitary-adrenal system- also provides clear insight into other problems, such as polycystic ovary syndrome, hirsutism, adrenal hyperplasia, Cushing's disease, etc.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Here's another great quote from the article Autonomic Systems
Ray wrote:
In polycystic ovaries, menopausal symptoms, arthritis, angina pectoris, multiple sclerosis, some types of dementia, and emphysema the relief achieved with a simple improvement of cellular energy can be rapid and complete. Presumably a similar process of biological reorganization is involved in the occasional spontaneous regression of tumors.

mamaherrera

so more sugar, more fruits, more dairy. It's just that PCOS docs have made me so terrified of dairy. I'm doing ok with it, I think, no acne from it. Does milk and such have progesterone?? I Hope so!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
so more sugar, more fruits, more dairy. It's just that PCOS docs have made me so terrified of dairy. I'm doing ok with it, I think, no acne from it. Does milk and such have progesterone?? I Hope so!
Yes, milk is supposed to have a small amount if I remember correctly. It is so good for you anyway that I would drink it even if it didn't have a small amount of progesterone. I think the take away is that it's probably best to try and forget what the PCOS docs told you about dairy. Just keep your eye on the prize! It's the Peat inspired approach in its totality that restores hormone balance and cellular energy.

Peata

Do you think there is benefit to canned fruit? It's hard to get lots of fresh, ripe fruit daily.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
Do you think there is benefit to canned fruit? It's hard to get lots of fresh, ripe fruit daily.
I sometimes eat applesauce from a glass jar. I would also consider other fruits from glass jars. I haven't researched cans enough myself to really know about the risk/benefit. I've occasionally had food from a can though. That's a great topic! I know some cans supposedly have BPA which is a xenoestrogen. :shock: Sometimes you just have to eat and make the best choice possible even if it's not perfect (at least that's what I do). If I get sick from something or learn later it wasn't the best choice I just don't make that choice again. I think frozen fruit might be another option. I'd love to hear what others think!

mamaherrera

yes I've been doing fruit in glass jars, just more expensive, but not by much. ANd thanks about the vote of confidence in milk, I'm loving it honestly. I just want as much progesterone as I can get!! Should we just be doing progesterone just on those days 14-28 of the cycle??? What happens the other 14 days when progesterone is low to begin with and we take nothing????? And I don't always know which day I'm on. I don't keep track. What do you all do?

I am thinking that endotoxin can contribute to insulin resistance and other hormone problems too, so maybe raising metabolism with thyroid meds (in those that need them) and strictly avoiding PUFA while focusing on the Peat foods that work for you....cooked fruit can be easier to digest.

JUST ADDING IN: I use frozen fruit in smoothies, the vitamix predigests it for me :D

Regarding my cycle, I always pay attention to what day I am on...but I am obsessive. :lol:

Peata

A lot of the glass-jarred fruit here is from China. Do you eat it anyway? I can get California canned fruit but it's in cans.

Katty

Blossom said:
I found this quote from Ray Peat's article -Estrogen and Brain Aging in Men and Women:Depression, Energy and Stress
Besides providing new insights into biological energy and aging, the recognition that estrogen activates the stress hormone system-the pituitary-adrenal system- also provides clear insight into other problems, such as polycystic ovary syndrome, hirsutism, adrenal hyperplasia, Cushing's disease, etc.

Thanks Blossom, this is helpful! I appreciate you searching for it.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on this. I can't figure out why some PCOS symptoms go along with high testosterone in some, but not in others. And what is exactly causing the formation of excess body hair when high testosterone isn't present. I guess Peat is giving the bigger picture... I'm curious about the exact pathway of what causes what causes what to lead to the hair growth, etc. Or maybe it's in the articles and I'm just not well-read enough yet to see it.

I have only eaten organic applesauce from a glass jar (not from China). I really don't like the taste of canned fruit and I would never eat anything from China, but that's just me.

I used to like those little mandarin orange slices in cans, I ate a lot of those on cottage cheese when I was growing up. Now I worry about the plastic lining on the cans like Blossom mentioned so I have not eaten canned food in years ('cept tinned oysters). If you can find organic fruit canned in BPA FREE cans maybe that would be okay?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals