What About Lanolin/Woolwax

Kray

Ray said in some interview that deodorized lanolin is good stuff if you can find it.
Hmmm, most of the brands I've searched through the past week don't add the word "deodorized" to their labels. Do you know the context of his comment-- was it simply because the smell non-deodorized puts off, or purity issues with non-d? Can't think it's the latter; if you read up on mfg of lanolin, it goes through a pretty thorough purifying process. There is virtually no smell in either of two products I purchased, one from a small NZ farm, and another from a reputable nutritional supplement company.

I'm finding out some really interesting things about lanolin throughout my search. It still contains vitamin D- how much is hard to say, since I haven't found any brand to claim how much- and it naturally contains AHAs, as well as being naturally anti-fungal and non-occlusive (unlike mineral oil). I think there are other nourishing factors in lanolin but I can't remember offhand, and it is very moisturizing.

Many on the forum prefer to apply vitamin D topically, which I have done sporadically in the past. I am using lanolin for skin dryness and rashes and have been adding a few drops of liquid D3 to the mix, which gives the added benefit of making the lanolin more spreadable, since its tackiness is somewhat offputting initially. So far I am liking it with the vitamin D. You could also use some other carrier oil, such as jojoba for spreadability.

:M :B.

Hmmm, most of the brands I've searched through the past week don't add the word "deodorized" to their labels. Do you know the context of his comment-- was it simply because the smell non-deodorized puts off, or purity issues with non-d? Can't think it's the latter; if you read up on mfg of lanolin, it goes through a pretty thorough purifying process. There is virtually no smell in either of two products I purchased, one from a small NZ farm, and another from a reputable nutritional supplement company.

I'm finding out some really interesting things about lanolin throughout my search. It still contains vitamin D- how much is hard to say, since I haven't found any brand to claim how much- and it naturally contains AHAs, as well as being naturally anti-fungal and non-occlusive (unlike mineral oil). I think there are other nourishing factors in lanolin but I can't remember offhand, and it is very moisturizing.

Many on the forum prefer to apply vitamin D topically, which I have done sporadically in the past. I am using lanolin for skin dryness and rashes and have been adding a few drops of liquid D3 to the mix, which gives the added benefit of making the lanolin more spreadable, since its tackiness is somewhat offputting initially. So far I am liking it with the vitamin D. You could also use some other carrier oil, such as jojoba for spreadability.
He said that in the context of if you don't want to smell like lanolin then deodorized is good and can be hard to find. He was not saying regular lanolin is bad though. It's all good.

Kray

He said that in the context of if you don't want to smell like lanolin then deodorized is good and can be hard to find. He was not saying regular lanolin is bad though. It's all good.
Thought so, but thanks for clarifying, just the same!

Kray

@Kray i just got mine from amazon...it says it's almost odorless....it is lovely on my lips so far!
So glad you like it! I'm enjoying mine too. In tough spots I'm adding a few drops of jojoba to blend easier. Any tips you have to share, or did you just buy as lip balm?

So glad you like it! I'm enjoying mine too. In tough spots I'm adding a few drops of jojoba to blend easier. Any tips you have to share, or did you just buy as lip balm?
No tips, it is just balm for me. I have softened water at home so my skin stays pretty soft through winter.

I did mix it with a bit of coconut oil to smooth it easier.

And thanks for finding the lanolin...I have been searching (half-heartedly) for something like this

Kray

No tips, it is just balm for me. I have softened water at home so my skin stays pretty soft through winter.

I did mix it with a bit of coconut oil to smooth it easier.

And thanks for finding the lanolin...I have been searching (half-heartedly) for something like this
Sure, glad I was able to help, it's always nice to share great finds and get feedback. Wishing you the best!

Kray

Sure, glad I was able to help, it's always nice to share great finds and get feedback. Wishing you the best!
Quick question- have you used coconut oil much for skin up to now? How about jojoba oil? Just wondering if one would be preferable over the other for skin dryness, rash (other than just for help in smoothing lanolin).

Quick question- have you used coconut oil much for skin up to now? How about jojoba oil? Just wondering if one would be preferable over the other for skin dryness, rash (other than just for help in smoothing lanolin).
I do use coconut oil sometimes...I don't use it everyday but I slather it all over my body from time to time. I like to use it in the summer on my legs so I don't have dry looking legs. It's completely edible so I don't feel weird using so much.

I haven't used jojoba in years so I can't comment. I picked it because it was not as comedogenic and at the time I was looking for a face moisturizer. I think having soft water is the best for me, though. It saves me from a lot of rashes. When I can't have soft water, I use bottled water to cleanse my face or it will get very red.

Kray

I do use coconut oil sometimes...I don't use it everyday but I slather it all over my body from time to time. I like to use it in the summer on my legs so I don't have dry looking legs. It's completely edible so I don't feel weird using so much.

I haven't used jojoba in years so I can't comment. I picked it because it was not as comedogenic and at the time I was looking for a face moisturizer. I think having soft water is the best for me, though. It saves me from a lot of rashes. When I can't have soft water, I use bottled water to cleanse my face or it will get very red.
Very interesting. May I ask, what type of water softening system do you use? Does your water system filter out chlorine, or just soften the minerals in the water?

I used to have a softener that used potassium salt but it was labor-intensive and we finally opted for a whole house carbon filter. Now we are in a different part of the country and the water is good, but since moving here I have had more trouble with my skin (no filters). Part of the reason I'm using lanolin is to protect and hydrate my skin from the dryness and now, from harshness of winter cold. Lanolin is helping for sure, but your comment has piqued my interest into water softening.

Last edited:
I have well water, no chlorine. The softener just replaces the Calcium and Magnesium ions for Sodium. For some reason the hard minerals really bother my skin

Kray

I have well water, no chlorine. The softener just replaces the Calcium and Magnesium ions for Sodium. For some reason the hard minerals really bother my skin
Sorry- I was editing my last post when you sent yours. So, you are saying you have a sodium softener? Do you know that your particular well source is especially hard, or just natural levels of magnesium and calcium make your skin dry? Is it just dryness or do you have itchy bumpy rashes, etc, if I can ask?

Sorry- I was editing my last post when you sent yours. So, you are saying you have a sodium softener? Do you know that your particular well source is especially hard, or just natural levels of magnesium and calcium make your skin dry? Is it dry or do you have itchy bumpy rashes, if I can ask?
I don't know of any other kind of real softener, though you can use KCl instead of NaCl, if you restrict sodium and have cash to burn.

My well water is quite hard, naturally. Every source of water has a different level of minerals, there is no "natural" level.

My skin gets dry and will even get very itchy to the point of making red bumpy rashes, it gets unbearable, grown men do not seem to suffer since they are so greasy lol.

Kray

I don't know of any other kind of real softener, though you can use KCl instead of NaCl, if you restrict sodium and have cash to burn.

My well water is quite hard, naturally. Every source of water has a different level of minerals, there is no "natural" level.

My skin gets dry and will even get very itchy to the point of making red bumpy rashes, it gets unbearable, grown men do not seem to suffer since they are so greasy lol.
Thanks for clarifying on the water hardness.

Seriously, I share your burden on the itchy skin. It would be so nice to find out that's all I need to fix my skin. I had used an attachable shower head carbon filter for a time but it was only to filter chlorine. I may revisit water softening systems and see what's out there these days. Your information is very helpful, thank you. Hope the lanolin is a winner, and I may also give CO a try.

I don't need clarification on your second point about men 😄.

Thanks for clarifying on the water hardness.

Seriously, I share your burden on the itchy skin. It would be so nice to find out that's all I need to fix my skin. I had used an attachable shower head carbon filter for a time but it was only to filter chlorine. I may revisit water softening systems and see what's out there these days. Your information is very helpful, thank you. Hope the lanolin is a winner, and I may also give CO a try.
yeah I would definitely give it a try! It took years for me to connect the dots :confused:
I don't need clarification on your second point about men 😄.
lol...they have it so easy!:arghh:

Kray

I mean the water softener, I would give the water softener a try
Wow, sounds like it's worth trying. Years, that's my case. Some really tough ones,. Had you thought food or supplement sensitivity, before you realized it was the water? Our current water hardness is about 1/4 of our last water. But, we may have had some "conditioning" in our system that mitigated some of the hardness. Wish we could do a soft water test before plunking down lots of money on something. Maybe a shower head to experiment. I will research further.

Wow, sounds like it's worth trying. Years, that's my case. Some really tough ones,. Had you thought food or supplement sensitivity, before you realized it was the water? Our current water hardness is about 1/4 of our last water. But, we may have had some "conditioning" in our system that mitigated some of the hardness. Wish we could do a soft water test before plunking down lots of money on something. Maybe a shower head to experiment. I will research further.
Yeah I tried the chlorine carbon shower filter, no help, and lots of lotions were the only thing that would kinda help. At a different house with less hard water it took a few years to really get annoyed. One fall I ended up with weirdly rashy armpits out of nowhere. Then it happened again the next fall. I started to notice a seasonal pattern so that led me to the water somehow. I was trying so hard to not get a softener...I used to hate the slippery feel.

Now I can't imagine life without it. You can get a cheaper one at Lowes/Home depot, if you can handle a little plumbing. It works just as well, just make sure to use the cleanser every once in a while, as with any softener.

Kray

Yeah I tried the chlorine carbon shower filter, no help, and lots of lotions were the only thing that would kinda help. At a different house with less hard water it took a few years to really get annoyed. One fall I ended up with weirdly rashy armpits out of nowhere. Then it happened again the next fall. I started to notice a seasonal pattern so that led me to the water somehow. I was trying so hard to not get a softener...I used to hate the slippery feel.

Now I can't imagine life without it. You can get a cheaper one at Lowes/Home depot, if you can handle a little plumbing. It works just as well, just make sure to use the cleanser every once in a while, as with any softener.
That's really encouraging to hear. So glad you figured it out too. What cleanser do you mean? For the plumbing?

That's really encouraging to hear. So glad you figured it out too.
Good! It really makes my eczema flare up, and I think that is why I had it so bad as a teen, my parents moved to where we had hard well water! Whenever that comes back, I finally understand something needs to change.

I also am very very sensitive to laundry detergent. Right now I use Seventh Generation unscented. Even Arm&Hammer unscented version makes my armpits break out. I just discovered that one recently. I don't use perfumes and I can smell everyone else's strongly. I have to wash my step-kids clothes all by themselves or the detergent stank will get on my kids clothes.
What cleanser do you mean? For the plumbing?
Yes just the water softener specific cleanser. If you neglect that eventually the water softener clogs up and won't perform and you may think it is junk. Maintenance is important for many things.

edit: No I haven't heard of cleaning the plumbing, just add the cleanser liquid/powder whatever it is, to the salt tank.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals