What is the best cheese to eat?

Barry

From a Peat perspective, which is the best? I heard Georgi Dinkov mention that vegetable rennet was bad, but animal rennet was good? Looking through the hundreds of cheeses at the supermarket, I saw some with "rennet" as an ingredient. Also cheese cultures, and enzymes.

From a Peat perspective, which is the best? I heard Georgi Dinkov mention that vegetable rennet was bad, but animal rennet was good? Looking through the hundreds of cheeses at the supermarket, I saw some with "rennet" as an ingredient. Also cheese cultures, and enzymes.

Ray Peat says they are all pretty much bad and to look for cheeses that are made with rennet only. Rennet only cheeses are hard to find, but I get mine here….

VitoScaletta

I buy Parmigiano-Reggiano which is made in Italy. Either 200 gram vacuum packed pieces with a little authentic stamp/badge which it's made in Italy or from a local store which sells real Parmigiano-Reggiano, presumably they get pieces from a wheel. Both cost around 4.80 USD per 100 grams / 48 USD per 1 kilogramme.

I think this is the best option because it's made with real animal rennet and no other things aside from salt and milk. Can get expensive but I don't eat much. I get the rest of my Calcium from ground eggshell powder, fruits (not much but it adds up, along with OJ, buckwheat, well-boiled green leafy vegetables), dates. I can't digest straight milk well so I don't drink it. I should maybe try Yogurt or fermented milk products.

1652548973220.png

The vacuum packed 200 gram pieces look like this basically, maybe different packaging in different countries, this picture I found online.
Notice the red and yellow badge. Parmigiano-Reggiano is trademarked and can only be made in a specific region in Italy, so real packages would have that.
I know these 200 gram packages are available all over the world.

There are probably other cheeses which exist which are fine with acceptable ingredients but generally this works well and it's the best solution for me, as it's most reliably available.

VitoScaletta

I buy Parmigiano-Reggiano which is made in Italy. Either 200 gram vacuum packed pieces with a little authentic stamp/badge which it's made in Italy or from a local store which sells real Parmigiano-Reggiano, presumably they get pieces from a wheel. Both cost around 4.80 USD per 100 grams / 48 USD per 1 kilogramme.

I think this is the best option because it's made with real animal rennet and no other things aside from salt and milk. Can get expensive but I don't eat much. I get the rest of my Calcium from ground eggshell powder, fruits (not much but it adds up, along with OJ, buckwheat, well-boiled green leafy vegetables), dates. I can't digest straight milk well so I don't drink it. I should maybe try Yogurt or fermented milk products.

View attachment 36701
The vacuum packed 200 gram pieces look like this basically, maybe different packaging in different countries, this picture I found online.
Notice the red and yellow badge. Parmigiano-Reggiano is trademarked and can only be made in a specific region in Italy, so real packages would have that.
I know these 200 gram packages are available all over the world.

There are probably other cheeses which exist which are fine with acceptable ingredients but generally this works well and it's the best solution for me, as it's most reliably available.
Beware, if you eat this before bed it's best to eat alongside well cooked oxtail soup / gelatin, to counter some of the Tryptophan, etc.
Generally it's known not to eat cheese before bed. Can also mess with MAO, and of course it generally has high Tryptophan

Neeters 27

The best cheese to eat is the one that tastes the BEST to YOU silly!!!!! my favourite is a type of Polish swiss-like semi hard cheese called Babuni
Swiss type maturing cheese. It is characterised with a slightly sweet taste and oval holes. This cheese is recommended for the whole family according to the makers of it. it has a nice nutty taste, not fatty, delicious.

Lilac

Lately I really like Gouda, with the red wax coating, and "animal rennet" listed on the label. I sprinkle a little extra salt on it. It's not too expensive, either. I get it at Trader Joe's, but it's widely available.

Rybba

I found a packaged cheddar cheese brand in the supermarket that has the following ingredients: Milk, salt, cultures, enyzme (rennet). Would this probably be okay? I've been eating it for lunch for the last few weeks (it is rather tasty). Perhaps the added cultures may not be ideal. Every other cheese I looked at was made with "non-animal rennet".

AlaskaJono

I believe Parmigianno is made from raw milk. I know for sure French cheeses like Brie is made from raw milk. I mention this as many folks may have some issue with milk as they know it, but not products made from raw milk. Mon Pere Brie is available in the US, and Australia, and is fantastic. Bon apétit.

I believe Parmigianno is made from raw milk. I know for sure French cheeses like Brie is made from raw milk. I mention this as many folks may have some issue with milk as they know it, but not products made from raw milk. Mon Pere Brie is available in the US, and Australia, and is fantastic. Bon apétit.

“Both Traditional French Brie and Camembert were made with raw milk. However, the USDA in the US requires that all cheeses made with raw milk be aged at least 60 days before being sold in the US. Brie and Camembert are both aged less than 60 days, so most of what we see is made from pasteurized milk.”

Lollipop2

I found a packaged cheddar cheese brand in the supermarket that has the following ingredients: Milk, salt, cultures, enyzme (rennet). Would this probably be okay? I've been eating it for lunch for the last few weeks (it is rather tasty). Perhaps the added cultures may not be ideal. Every other cheese I looked at was made with "non-animal rennet".
The cultures are probably fine - though they could be lab created. A reputable cheese company will most likely be using traditional cheese cultures.

Now the enzyme (rennet) I would be more concerned about because of the way they wrote it. The enzyme is most likely vegetarian rennet which is lab made GMO product. Anytime you see enzyme on a cheese label, it is a lab created GMO product.

AlaskaJono

@Rinse & rePeat ... Oh yeah, rules n regs... can't have people eating REAL French brie. Anyhow, brie does have Vit K2. So still a good bargain, even if it is Un-Chill filtered. (Brie on Rye crackers with a little honey - mmmm.)

incrp

Another good Italian cheese is Pecorino Romano made from raw ews mik

Dave Clark

Depends on whether you are talking for taste or for health. My opinion, for health, organic, raw, grass-fed cheese is the best. I am fortunate enough to live in an Amish community where I can go to the farms and get it, but it can be ordered on-line, only it becomes more expensive that way.

@Rinse & rePeat ... Oh yeah, rules n regs... can't have people eating REAL French brie. Anyhow, brie does have Vit K2. So still a good bargain, even if it is Un-Chill filtered. (Brie on Rye crackers with a little honey - mmmm.)
This is my favorite way to have Brie! It is good by itself or topped with honey or a jam.

Attachments

• CC15F7BA-5826-49DB-BE26-301EEF899D2D.jpeg
    CC15F7BA-5826-49DB-BE26-301EEF899D2D.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 43
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals