Willow bark

Morten

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know in what dose willowbark should be consumed on a daily basis for an adult? And what about sideeffects?

Attachments

• 1691939815657.png
    1691939815657.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 9

tokimaturi

What's your motivation for using it instead of aspirin? And what are you using it for? Pain? If you've been using aspirin, at what dosage was it?

Here's something to read: Is white willow bark a good substitute for aspirin dosing?

Other alternatives to aspirin would be sodium salicylate (mix aspirin with a small amount of sodium bicarbonate in boiling water) or methyl salicylate (gaultheria or wintergreen).

LucH

Hi,
Salcin must be standardized at minimum 15%.
Note that there are other contituents active. Mine contains 450 mg with bark extract (250 mg + other bark extracts).
White wollow bark has no "bad influence" on stomachal tissue.
Once a day would be better, not to counteract homeosotasy (own-hormone lowering pain).
Excerpt:
Willow bark has been used for analgesia at daily doses of 1 to 3 g of bark, corresponding to salicin 60 to 120 mg. A clinical study of patients with lower back pain used willow bark at a dose of salicin 120 to 240 mg/day. A proprietary extract of willow bark, Assalix , was standardized to contain 15% salicin. The pharmacokinetics of salicylic acid delivered from willow bark have been studied, and plasma half-life is approximately 2.5 hours. Another pharmacokinetic study of salicylic acid from salicin found peak levels within 2 hours after oral administration.
Willow Bark Uses, Benefits & Dosage - Drugs.com Herbal Database

wzuo

Why would you want to do this if there's extracted alternative that is active substance of bark? There may be some unneeded things like celulose or tannins in bark. I remember Willow bark was not very tasty due to tannins.

If you want to find more info about Salix see Wierzba – Salix w praktycznej fitoterapii « Medycyna dawna i współczesna sorry that it is not English, you can use Google translate to translate from Polish language. This guy is expert about herbs and its usage. Havent found anybody that has bigger knowledge than him.

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
Why would you want to do this if there's extracted alternative that is active substance of bark? There may be some unneeded things like celulose or tannins in bark. I remember Willow bark was not very tasty due to tannins.

If you want to find more info about Salix see Wierzba – Salix w praktycznej fitoterapii « Medycyna dawna i współczesna sorry that it is not English, you can use Google translate to translate from Polish language. This guy is expert about herbs and its usage. Havent found anybody that has bigger knowledge than him.
Thanks

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
What's your motivation for using it instead of aspirin? And what are you using it for? Pain? If you've been using aspirin, at what dosage was it?

Here's something to read: Is white willow bark a good substitute for aspirin dosing?

Other alternatives to aspirin would be sodium salicylate (mix aspirin with a small amount of sodium bicarbonate in boiling water) or methyl salicylate (gaultheria or wintergreen).
I thought it was easier for the stomach, than sensitized salicylic. But my knowledge is limited. Thank for your answer.

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
Hi,
Salcin must be standardized at minimum 15%.
Note that there are other contituents active. Mine contains 450 mg with bark extract (250 mg + other bark extracts).
White wollow bark has no "bad influence" on stomachal tissue.
Once a day would be better, not to counteract homeosotasy (own-hormone lowering pain).
Excerpt:
Willow bark has been used for analgesia at daily doses of 1 to 3 g of bark, corresponding to salicin 60 to 120 mg. A clinical study of patients with lower back pain used willow bark at a dose of salicin 120 to 240 mg/day. A proprietary extract of willow bark, Assalix , was standardized to contain 15% salicin. The pharmacokinetics of salicylic acid delivered from willow bark have been studied, and plasma half-life is approximately 2.5 hours. Another pharmacokinetic study of salicylic acid from salicin found peak levels within 2 hours after oral administration.
Willow Bark Uses, Benefits & Dosage - Drugs.com Herbal Database
Ok. so white willow bark does not irritate the gut? My goal was the make a mix of niacinamide, baking soda and salicylic(in some form), if such a mix is possible. Is for my mother, had cancer near the nose. No treated with surgery. So a kind of long term support, does this sound odd?:)

tokimaturi

Ok. so white willow bark does not irritate the gut? My goal was the make a mix of niacinamide, baking soda and salicylic(in some form), if such a mix is possible. Is for my mother, had cancer near the nose. No treated with surgery. So a kind of long term support, does this sound odd?:)
Mixing aspirin with baking soda does make it easier on the stomach. From what I've heard, people who've had stomach problems with aspirin have done fine with white willow bark. Same with methyl salicylate (wintergreen). I'm not sure what species "willow bark" is made from and if it's different. The reason why you get sodium salicylate from aspirin and baking soda is because aspirin is acid and baking soda is base. I'm not sure if willow bark extract would react with baking soda.

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
Mixing aspirin with baking soda does make it easier on the stomach. From what I've heard, people who've had stomach problems with aspirin have done fine with white willow bark. Same with methyl salicylate (wintergreen). I'm not sure what species "willow bark" is made from and if it's different. The reason why you get sodium salicylate from aspirin and baking soda is because aspirin is acid and baking soda is base. I'm not sure if willow bark extract would react with baking soda.
Ok, so white willow or methyl salicylate and baking soda together should be fine? And those two result in sodium salicylate, makes sense:) Do you know what dose. Could one mix niacinamide together with the two others? Thanks for your time, really appreciate it....

GTW

Wintergreen tea is good but caution use of essential oil methyl salicylate oral. It's normally topical.

tokimaturi

Ok, so white willow or methyl salicylate and baking soda together should be fine? And those two result in sodium salicylate, makes sense:) Do you know what dose. Could one mix niacinamide together with the two others? Thanks for your time, really appreciate it....
Methyl salicylate is an ester of salicylic acid and doesn't cause stomach problems as far as I know. It's very potent so care should be taken as to dosing. As a liquid 1ml equals 1400mg of aspirin. 1ml is about 20-30 drops, so one drop equals 45-70mg aspirin. No need to mix with baking soda though you can take it separately. It has a strong taste so diluting it with water or something else is a must. Avoid products that have additional ingredients such as linalool or limonene.

You can try mixing white willow with baking soda. Make sure the white willow is completely dissolved in water, perhaps you need hot water. Then add the baking soda and mix. If you get a fizz, it's reacting and creates sodium salicylate. White willow shouldn't cause stomach problems even without baking soda so you can take it by itself as well.

If you take a regular aspirin, dissolving it in hot water and mixing in baking soda gets you sodium salicylate. I don't remember the exact amount of baking soda needed but it's something similar to the amount of aspirin, so very little. If after reacting it tastes acidic, you didn't use enough baking soda and there is some unreacted acetylsalicylic acid left.

You can mix niacinamide with any of these but you can also take it by itself. Niacinamide tastes quite bitter.

OP
M

Morten

Forum Supporter
Methyl salicylate is an ester of salicylic acid and doesn't cause stomach problems as far as I know. It's very potent so care should be taken as to dosing. As a liquid 1ml equals 1400mg of aspirin. 1ml is about 20-30 drops, so one drop equals 45-70mg aspirin. No need to mix with baking soda though you can take it separately. It has a strong taste so diluting it with water or something else is a must. Avoid products that have additional ingredients such as linalool or limonene.

You can try mixing white willow with baking soda. Make sure the white willow is completely dissolved in water, perhaps you need hot water. Then add the baking soda and mix. If you get a fizz, it's reacting and creates sodium salicylate. White willow shouldn't cause stomach problems even without baking soda so you can take it by itself as well.

If you take a regular aspirin, dissolving it in hot water and mixing in baking soda gets you sodium salicylate. I don't remember the exact amount of baking soda needed but it's something similar to the amount of aspirin, so very little. If after reacting it tastes acidic, you didn't use enough baking soda and there is some unreacted acetylsalicylic acid left.

You can mix niacinamide with any of these but you can also take it by itself. Niacinamide tastes quite bitter.
Thanks, you are so kind, spending time to answer:))

GTW

Methyl esters are not going to behave the same the alcohol moiety. Be cautious.
The name aspirin derives from spirea, another plant source of salicylate. Salicylate from salix, Willow.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals