YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“From an Ayurvedic perspective, foods are categorized into three groups known as gunas – sattvic, rajasic, and tamasic. These gunas represent the qualities and effects of food on the body and mind.

• Sattvic foods are considered to be pure, clean, and nourishing. They promote mental clarity, spiritual growth, and a peaceful state of mind. Examples of sattvic foods include fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, and ghee and Ayurvedic buttermilk
  • Rajasic foods are stimulating and can lead to an active, restless mind. They may contribute to aggression, agitation, and increased ego. Examples of rajasic foods include spicy, salty, and sour foods, as well as stimulants like caffeine.
  • Tamasic foods are considered to be heavy, dull, and difficult to digest. They can lead to lethargy, depression, and clouded thinking. Examples of tamasic foods include meat, alcohol, processed and deep-fried foods, and leftovers.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know it is way out of season, but I am planting saffron, crocus, bulbs today…

“Saffron is nicknamed the sunshine spice. This is not just due to its distinct color but also because it may help brighten your mood.

In a review of five studies, saffron supplements were significantly more effective than placebos at treating symptoms of mild-to-moderate depression (6Trusted Source).

Other studies found that taking 30 mg of saffron daily was just as effective as Fluoxetine, Imipramine, and Citalopram — conventional treatments for depression. Additionally, fewer people experienced side effects from saffron than from other treatments (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).

Both the saffron petals and thread-like stigma appear to be effective against mild-to-moderate depression (1Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The paper found that women who ate the highest level of ultraprocessed food had a 50 percent higher risk of developing depression in the future compared with those women that ate the lowest amount.”

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Thank you for the explanation - appreciate it :)

100% . I did like the therapeutic feeling of chopping up a salad and eating it right away. I suppose I get that same feeling from frying some steak/liver haha.

Honestly... I liked feeling like I was a part of something, you know? But funnily enough, I did it because I believed it was making me more healthy. I was never too fussed about animal rights, although it was a nice feeling knowing I'm not harming any animals.

But I feel most health gurus have hidden agendas. The raw vegans who tell you to only eat, 'raw living foods', coincidentally sell extremely expensive whole food supplements/online courses/retreats.

Why I love Peat so much is I just saw this well spoken man, sharing a sensible approach to health: produce energy as efficiently as possible with as little stress as possible. When he doesn't know something, he will just say he doesn't know. He has one product, Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible), and just really seems like he has a really well rounded view on life in general. I also love the respect he is shown from everybody that has the chance to interview him.
About this line:
"Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible)"
How does it work for you?
How much do you take a day?
Thanks.
Paul

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Thank you for the explanation - appreciate it :)

100% . I did like the therapeutic feeling of chopping up a salad and eating it right away. I suppose I get that same feeling from frying some steak/liver haha.

Honestly... I liked feeling like I was a part of something, you know? But funnily enough, I did it because I believed it was making me more healthy. I was never too fussed about animal rights, although it was a nice feeling knowing I'm not harming any animals.

But I feel most health gurus have hidden agendas. The raw vegans who tell you to only eat, 'raw living foods', coincidentally sell extremely expensive whole food supplements/online courses/retreats.

Why I love Peat so much is I just saw this well spoken man, sharing a sensible approach to health: produce energy as efficiently as possible with as little stress as possible. When he doesn't know something, he will just say he doesn't know. He has one product, Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible), and just really seems like he has a really well rounded view on life in general. I also love the respect he is shown from everybody that has the chance to interview him.
About this line:
"Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible)"
How does it work for you?
How much do you take a day?
Thanks.
Paul

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“But some women prefer to use progesterone without interruption after the menopause, for its protective antistress effects. Slender people usually find that two or three drops are enough, but this amount may be repeated once or twice as needed to relieve symptoms. Adequate protein in the diet and good thyroid function help the body to produce its own progesterone; even if the ovaries have been removed, the adrenal glands and brain continue to produce progesterone.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Although there is some evidence that a deficiency in copper may be correlated with anxiety, there is more evidence to suggest that copper overload has a greater influence on the development of anxiety.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A diet that provides enough calcium to limit activity of the parathyroid glands, and that is low in phosphate and polyunsaturated fats, with sugar rather than starch as the main carbohydrate, possibly supplemented by niacinamide and aspirin, should help to avoid some of the degenerative processes associated with high phosphate: fatigue, heart failure, movement discoordination, hypogonadism, infertility, vascular calcification, emphysema, cancer, osteoporosis, and atrophy of skin, skeletal muscle, intestine, thymus, and spleen. The foods naturally highest in phosphate, relative to calcium, are cereals, legumes, meats, and fish. Many prepared foods contain added phosphate. Foods with a higher, safer ratio of calcium to phosphate are leaves, such as kale, turnip greens, and beet greens, and many fruits, milk, and cheese. Coffee, besides being a good source of magnesium, is probably helpful for lowering phosphate, by its antagonism to adenosine.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Simply eating an adequate amount of calcium and magnesium can alleviate many problems related to stress and aging that are considered serious, such as heart arrhythmia, pancreatitis, and tissue calcification. The antiinflammatory, anti-allergy actions of calcium and magnesium are well established, and there is clear evidence that obesity and various emotional disturbances can result from their deficiency.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“ (a form of vitamin B3) has been shown in animals to work in the brain in ways similar to anxiety medications. One study found that niacinamide helped people get through withdrawal from benzodiazepines—a common problem.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In good health, especially in children, the stress hormones are produced only in the amount needed, because of negative feedback from the free saturated fatty acids, which inhibit the production of adrenalin and adrenal steroids, and eating protein and carbohydrate will quickly end the stress. But when the fat stores contain mainly PUFA, the free fatty acids in the serum will be mostly linoleic acid and arachidonic acid, and smaller amounts of other unsaturated fatty acids. These PUFA stimulate the stress hormones, ACTH, cortisol, adrenaline, glucagon, and prolactin, which increase lipolysis, producing more fatty acids in a vicious circle. In the relative absence of PUFA, the stress reaction is self limiting, but under the influence of PUFA, the stress response becomes self-amplifying.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was posted by @welshwing elsewhere…

“With regards to the prevention of souring; sour raw milk is very widely used. It is given to invalids, being easily digested, laxative in its properties, and not unpleasant to take. But, after pasteurization, the lactic acid bacilli are killed. The milk, in consequence, cannot become sour and quickly decomposes, while undesirable germs multiply very quickly.

Pasteurization’s great claim to popularity is the widespread belief, fostered by its supporters, that tuberculosis in children is caused by the harmful germs found in raw milk. Scientists have examined and tested thousands of milk samples, and experiments have been carried out on hundreds of animals in regard to this problem of disease-carrying by milk. But the one vital fact that seems to have been completely missed is that it is CLEAN, raw milk that is wanted. If this can be guaranteed, no other form of food for children can, or should, be allowed to take its place.

Dirty milk, of course, is like any other form of impure food — a definite menace. But Certified Grade A Milk, produced under Government supervision and guaranteed absolutely clean, is available practically all over the country and is the dairy-farmer’s answer to the pasteurization zealots.

Recent figures published regarding the spread of tuberculosis by milk show, among other facts, that over a period of five years, during which time 70 children belonging to a special organization received a pint of raw milk daily. One case only of the disease occurred. During a similar period when pasteurized milk had been given, 14 cases were reported.

Besides destroying part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk and encouraging growth of harmful bacteria, pasteurization turns the sugar of milk, known as lactose, into beta-lactose — which is far more soluble and therefore more rapidly absorbed in the system, with the result that the child soon becomes hungry again.

Probably pasteurization’s worst offence is that it makes insoluable the major part of the calcium contained in raw milk. This frequently leads to rickets, bad teeth, and nervous troubles, for sufficient calcium content is vital to children; and with the loss of phosphorus also associated with calcium, bone and breain formation suffer serious setbacks.

Pasteurization also destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk, causes constipation and generally takes from the milk its most vital qualities.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The short video in this link is worth watching. I found the commenters at the bottom worth reading too, about supplementing zinc….

“In other words, people who suffer from anxiety have way too much copper in their bodies, and not enough zinc.”

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Vegetarianism in any of its various forms, particularly veganism, has been increasing in popularity over the past few years, especially among the young population in the United States. While several studies have shown that a vegan diet (VD) decreases the risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, veganism has been associated with adverse health outcomes, namely, nervous, skeletal, and immune system impairments, hematological disorders, as well as mental health problems due to the potential for micro and macronutrient deficits.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Saffron has shown promise as a natural treatment for mental health disorders, including anxiety and depression.

A review of 23 studies found that, compared to placebo treatments, saffron treatments had a significant positive effect on symptoms of depression and anxiety. The review also noted that saffron had similar effects on depressive symptoms as antidepressant medications.“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals