Hypothyroid Mononucleosis Connection

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I didn't have mono but I did have Epstein Barr virus as an adult.

ilovethesea

I had acute mono (i.e the in bed for 2 months kind) about 4 yrs before I had thyroid cancer and a partial thyroidectomy. Would not be surprised if it contributed to my hypo symptoms. My doctor at the time told me I was actually lucky my mono was severe, as people who only get a mild form of mono tend to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome afterward. I wonder if chronic fatigue is just another manifestation of hypothyroidism?

(The thyroid cancer Ray Peat has said comes from xrays and I know I had tons of dental xrays over the years as well as a direct throat xray when I was a toddler.)

OP
M

mas

I think that you are spot on correct about the dental x-rays. What makes me even more angry is that RP said that ultrasound imaging is much safer, so why didn't the research & development occur in this ultrasound to be the industry standard to spare the public from harm?

The X-rays are just inches away from delicate brain tissue, nerves, eyes, and our thyroids. It is the elephant in the room but most just don't see it until they become educated.

Bone Density: First Do No Harm
Ray Peat
Ultrasound devices can do an extremely good job of evaluating both bone density and strength [14-16], rather than just density.

Ultrasound stimulates bone repair.

X-rays accelerate the rate of bone loss.

X-rays do their harm at any dose; there is no threshold at which the harm begins.

X-ray damage is not limited to the area being investigated. Deflected x-rays affect adjacent areas, and toxins produced by irradiated cells travel in the bloodstream, causing systemic effects. Dental x-rays cause thyroid cancer and eye cancer. Recent experiments have shown that low doses of radiation cause delayed death of brain cells. The action of x-rays produces tissue inflammation, and diseases as different as Alzheimer’s disease and heart disease result from prolonged inflammatory processes.

RP also states that a toxin is behind viral activation. (I don't have this now but I will look for this reference)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ilovethesea said:
I had acute mono (i.e the in bed for 2 months kind) about 4 yrs before I had thyroid cancer and a partial thyroidectomy. Would not be surprised if it contributed to my hypo symptoms. My doctor at the time told me I was actually lucky my mono was severe, as people who only get a mild form of mono tend to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome afterward. I wonder if chronic fatigue is just another manifestation of hypothyroidism?

(The thyroid cancer Ray Peat has said comes from xrays and I know I had tons of dental xrays over the years as well as a direct throat xray when I was a toddler.)
I had Epstein Barr virus at 29 years old and later ended up diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. It makes me wonder if a teenage body can mount a better response to the virus as opposed to an adult who has a more depleted system due to PUFA accumulation etc. I did always wonder how the same virus caused mono in some and not in others. I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid troubles ilovethesea, I'm glad you found Peat's work.

I don't have EBV, but there is some Cytomegalovirus antibody in my blood. Wonder if that counts as well?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
I don't have EBV, but there is some Cytomegalovirus antibody in my blood. Wonder if that counts as well?
That's another one they tested me for and I think it is considered opportunistic meaning it causes apparent problems in some but seemingly none in others. There is a big deal going on about super bugs and antibiotic resistance but I'm curious if that would really be an issue if the general population wasn't so impaired and saturated with PUFA? I think the best thing we can do is nourish ourselves with proper food and rest and try to maintain an appropriate hormone balance and then hopefully these microbes will pose little threat and our immune system will keep the pathogenic residents in check. :offtopic

Suikerbuik

It's indeed not a single micro-organism that is implicated in disease, but CMV and EBV are ones not to be neglected when compromised/stressed and loaded with pufa (worse for the metabolism, but very detrimental for a proper functioning of the immune system too). And are unfortunately connected to many diseases.

I know CMV digs through your arteries and is a big cause of cardio vascular disease (and almost every adult has it). Aspirin inhibits this process (RP wins again). I used to take some lysine on an empty stomach since I figured it's a herpesvirus after all.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
I know CMV digs through your arteries and is a big cause of cardio vascular disease (and almost every adult has it). Aspirin inhibits this process (RP wins again). I used to take some lysine on an empty stomach since I figured it's a herpesvirus after all.
[highlight=#ffff80]Ray Peat wins again![/highlight]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals