Request: Ray Peat's View Of The Immune System

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
From another point of view, having a certain limit will be better, and you would have to satisfy the different requirements, so your goal will not be an infinite number.

Exactly that's why I said:
Oh hey iron is needed to make hemoglobin, that protein transports oxygen and carbondioxide the more iron the better. Let's get it to the upper end of the reference range.. We know better!
'
Right, you misunderstood me.

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Albuminuria in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
Have you got a link to the full text? The authors compensated, what did they compensate for?: Albumin, and not vitamin D. The study says nothing about people with diseases or environmental factors and vitamin D level. At least not in the abstract. (And is what it is ALL about - correlation is NOT causation)

Even in the abstract the authors say:
Limitations
The cross-sectional design of this study does not allow demonstration of temporal or causal relationships between vitamin D and albuminuria.

Conclusions
Additional studies are needed to clarify the relationship of vitamin D with albuminuria and determine whether vitamin D therapy prevents or improves markers of kidney and cardiovascular disease.

I didn't say correlation is causation, this study is one piece of data.

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
Traslated to vitamin D: Exactly it raises red flags, but this doesn't say that the solution must be vitamin D!!

Then the problem would never be solved. At some point vitamin D should increase, otherwise the problem isn't solved.

Suikerbuik

Right, you misunderstood me.
Sorry my mistake then. If the more the better is about the antiestrogenic effect then see how calcitriol (1,25D(OH)2) works by inhibiting aromatase:
Calcitriol decreases the expression of aromatase, the enzyme that catalyzes estrogen synthesis selectively in BCa cells and the breast adipose tissue surrounding BCa, by a direct repression of aromatase transcription via promoter II as well as an indirect effect due to the reduction in the levels and biological activity of PGE2, which is a major stimulator of aromatase transcription through promoter II in BCa. Calcitriol down-regulates the expression of estrogen receptor alpha and thereby attenuates estrogen signaling in BCa cells including the proliferative stimulus provided by estrogens. We hypothesize that the inhibition of estrogen synthesis and signaling by calcitriol and its anti-inflammatory actions will play an important role in the use of calcitriol for the prevention and/or treatment of BCa.
Promoter II: a Vitamin D response element. A DNA sequence that has affinity for the 'activated' VDR protein (activated by 1,25D(OH)2).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20156557
this study is one piece of data.
It's not conclusive data thus we may not conclude anything. Certainly not make the conclusion that 40 ng/ml is a minimum value, because lower values will make you prone to albumin loss in the urine, that's just nonsense.
Then the problem would never be solved. At some point vitamin D should increase, otherwise the problem isn't solved.
Never say never, but this a factor what makes health so immensely complicated and why people usually never get cured and always got to be careful think about what they do or don't do. I don't speak about variable symptoms, just the long-term overall health of someone and the consequences for daily life.

Luckily Peat's info is out there, and with Peat's info we certainly can take things in ouw own hands. Doctors are FAR FAR FAR more away from the problem with their seemingly problem solving medicines... Peating is great when you're healthy, great when you're not healthy, but don't be afraid when his approach doesn't completely solve the problem (or cure you) as is it far more complicated. In these cases the immune system becomes an important and not to be neglected part of healing.

Only message I have is that some approaches (vit. D is one) may negatively affect the immune system, though in first instance (short-term) you will feel better because of that effect. That makes you believe you're doing everything right, while you actually aren't. Time will tell what's truth, but don't take anything someone tells you. No one has all answers and no one is completely right in everything he or she says, not I, neither Peat, nor someone else.

Edit: typos as always, the ones you find next are yours :)

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
It's not conclusive data thus we may not conclude anything.

unless you combine it with other data. I didn't claim it by itself was conclusive.

Wilfrid

Suikerbuik said:
25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Albuminuria in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
Have you got a link to the full text? The authors compensated, what did they compensate for?: Albumin, and not vitamin D. The study says nothing about people with diseases or environmental factors and vitamin D level. At least not in the abstract. (And is what it is ALL about - correlation is NOT causation)

Even in the abstract the authors say:
Limitations
The cross-sectional design of this study does not allow demonstration of temporal or causal relationships between vitamin D and albuminuria.

Conclusions
Additional studies are needed to clarify the relationship of vitamin D with albuminuria and determine whether vitamin D therapy prevents or improves markers of kidney and cardiovascular disease.

Here is the link to the full study:

http://libgen.org/scimag/get.php?doi=10 ... 007.04.015

Wilfrid

@Suikerbuik,

So, you think that for someone with serious health problems when it comes to body's own homeostatis regulating system, the less we interfer with it the better?
My own ( and unfortunately long :( ) observation and experience with the crohn's seems to confirm that.

Suikerbuik

Thank you Wilfrid. The albumin study just confirms what I have been saying. I am studying this subject for some years now, maybe because of what I know, I go to fast through some very important pieces of information, you actually need to think this way. The raw data completely fits what I say. The information between the lines may bring some confusion and this information is the base of their conclusion:

Animal and cell-culture studies showed that vitamin D suppressed transcription of renin, decreased circulating angiotensin II levels, prevented
podocyte loss and glomerulosclerosis, and decreased urine albumin excretion.10-13
That's true (works through VDREs too, like the antiestrogenic effects of Vit. D). Anyway cell-culture and animal studies are not sick humans!

Comparing Italian subjects with type 1 diabetes and persistent microalbuminuria (n 22) with those with a normal albumin excretion rate (n 24), lower levels of both 25-hydroxyvitamin D (26.5  5.2 versus 36.0  4.5 ng/mL [66  13 versus 90  11 nmol/ L]; P  0.01) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D (24.7  5.6 versus 38.8  8.9 pg/mL [64  15 versus 101  23 pmol/L]; P  0.01) were reported.37 In 100 Japanese persons with type 2 diabetes, low 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D level correlated with greater urine ACR (r 0.21; P  0.05).38
Acknowledges the importance of vitamin D 1,25(OH)2D. Next time I'd suggest a study to see if vit.D (25OH) really improves VDR activation, recent studies say it doesn't (I know those were not T2D studies) anyway than the fact that 25D is a VDR antagonist should make one thinking.. We will also need long term studies (YEARS), not short term. Or just play it easy and use 1,25(OH)2 as a prescription drug for these patients. Then we're talking.

In vitamin D–deficient rats, vitamin D therapy decreased apoptosis of podocytes, prevented glomerulosclerosis, and decreased albuminuria.12,13
Check out the references number 12 and 13, they used 1,25(OH)2D in these studies NOT 25D! .....

This study did not assess levels of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, the most potent vitamin D metabolite. 25- Hydroxyvitamin D was measured in NHANES III because, compared with 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, it is present at much greater levels, better reflects vitamin D intake from dietary and cutaneous sources, has a long half-life, and has a wide range of distribution.
A detrimental mistake they made here, see the T1D study above.

There's more that the authors assume is right (at least in theory it can be) but is actually wrong in practise.

Suikerbuik

Wilfrid said:
@Suikerbuik,

So, you think that for someone with serious health problems when it comes to body's own homeostatis regulating system, the less we interfer with it the better?
My own ( and unfortunately long :( ) observation and experience with the crohn's seems to confirm that.

Unfortunately my experience is like yours, and research acknowledges this indeed. Biology is not a machine, every stimulus needs to be dealt with, and actually the body knows what it does. Everything is logic in the end, this is what research confirms more and more. We humans just don't know why the body does that - we don't see the logic yet. So we focus on symptoms and markers that are actually results and not a cause, but because we know those markers are symptoms are associated with damage and disease and we know how to manipulate those markers and symtpoms, we manipulate them. This manipulation is incredibly difficult for the body to adapt to.

We should look long-term and not short-term to understand things. Short-term research and the results often don't reveal the effects on an organism in the long run. Then there's the interpretation of data that is really difficult. An holistic approach or 'hypothesis' like one that Peat has is needed to understand biology behind a whole organism. Like a peat diet and lifestyle (stress reduction), with as little as possible supplements. I know peat would acknowledge this :)

One example of the beauty of nature:
We know PUFA is detrimental to a human body, but the body is made so ingenious that PUFAs increase fat metabolism through activation of PPARs. PUFA are the fats that the body burns first compared to saturated fats it also lowers the glucose metabolism (glucose sparing, in a way we don't want). As if the body wants to get rid of that crap (PUFAs) as soon as possible. This is one example that nature knows what it does while we don't.. and there are way more.

Edit: A bit more clarity for those are not familair with the terms (though it is still too simple). PPARs are proteins that have the ability to sense molecules. Fat molecules with high affinity for especially unsaturated fats. When these PPARs sense PUFA they upregulate the production of certain proteins involved in fatty acid oxidation and lower glucose oxidation.

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
PUFA are the fats that the body burns first compared to saturated fats it also lowers the glucose metabolism (glucose sparing, in a way we don't want).

Peat claims saturated fats are burned preferentially, and that that explains why the percentage of PUFA stored is higher than PUFA consumed.

Mittir

j. said:
Peat claims saturated fats are burned preferentially, and that that explains why the percentage of PUFA stored is higher than PUFA consumed.

RP mentioned that fat cells preferentially burns saturated fat for it's energy supply.
this is a very slow process. That is why our fat storage becomes more unsaturated
over a long period of time. I think someone posted a study here showing how thigh and buttock
fats had more PUFA than abdominal fat. I think FPS site has that study.
RP also mentioned that body preferentially burns vegetable oils when ingested.
It becomes a problem when vegetable oil gets stored.
He also mentioned that medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil
is oxidized more than other fats. There are studies that measured
preferential metabolism of different fatty acids. Long chain saturated
fat has the lowest rate compared to short chain saturated fat.
Lauric acid has higher rate than vegetable oil.
Then linoleic acid has higher rate than palmitic acid etc.
He also mentioned that at rest our cells prefer saturated fat.
I think the order of preference is different when we ingest fat and
when we are burning fat at rest . There other factors involved.
He also discussed how estrogen interacts with PUFA.

Suikerbuik

Thank you Mitter. I didn't make a difference between chain length, different tissues and other factors. Saturated fats are indeed optimal for some tissues. Anyway vegetable oils do increase beta oxidation compared to saturated fatty acids. I excluded MCT because of the different mechanisms these fats enter the body. MCTs can directly be transported to the liver (portal vein) whereas fatty acids with more carbons don't (via chylomicrons). besides that MCTs are smaller molecules that don't require the carnitine shuttle. Not sure if MCTs like (P/M)UFA do increase overal beta-oxidation rate though.

Anyway see these studies if you want to know more.
Check out these studies.
The enhanced CPT I and L3HOAD activity observed in chickens fed the SUN-enriched diet is in agreement with the findings of Leyton et al. (1987), who reported a greater rate of β-oxidation of unsaturated compared with saturated fatty acids.
In conclusion, the lower abdominal fat deposition occurring in broiler chickens fed a SUN-enriched diet compared with those fed a TAL-enriched diet may be explained by an increased rate of β-oxidation of unsaturated dietary fats and reduced endogenous fatty acid synthesis despite higher dietary fat absorption.
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/12/3034.full

The study (leyton et al. 1987) they refer to:
http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...85a.pdf&code=b69dd96044a4957bd36eebf438633b36

Study done in humans.
Conclusions: In summary, lauric acid is highly oxidized, whereas the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids are fairly well oxidized. Oxidation of the long-chain, saturated fatty acids decreases with increasing carbon number.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/4/905.long

Parsifal

Suikerbuik said:
That's interesting, I recall from somewhere that Peat advised vitamin D supplementation during winter no?
And there is vitamin D in haidut's oestroban as well?
So why should someone with vitamin D defficiency avoid vitamin D supplementation?

Suikerbuik

If the vit.d. metabolism is functioning like it should.. but unfortunately that's not always the case.
It's all about body chemistry and vit. D test on its own isn't telling you much.
If I recall right there is only 400iu in estroban, that's an appropriate dose for most.

Parsifal

Suikerbuik said:
post 103933 If the vit.d. metabolism is functioning like it should.. but unfortunately that's not always the case.
It's all about body chemistry and vit. D test on its own isn't telling you much.
If I recall right there is only 400iu in estroban, that's an appropriate dose for most.
No, there is 1000IU. How do you know if the vit.D metabolism is not functioning like it should?

Last edited by a moderator:

Suikerbuik

By measuring some of the metabolites involved such as: calcium, PTH, 1,25D, 25D and possibly other inflammatory markers as 25D is known to be affected by inflammatory processes, and 1,25D may also be subject to variability in that respect.

LeVere

This isn't Ray Peat's idea, but yesterday I found a comprehensive theory of immunology called "Morphostasis" that seems incredibly compatible with Ray's theories.

It's the basic idea that the body doesn't actually "recognize pathogens" but recognizes damaged or poorly functioning tissue, and mounts an adaptive response to this. More details: home_page

Big fan of the morphostatic hypothesis. As far as I'm concerned the evidence backs it up to the point that one can conclude that there is no actual 'immune' system. Germ Theory science confuses immunity for commensality between germ and host.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals