Caffeine May Be More Evil Than You Think!

pboy

some random dude said caffeine is 'bad' so now its evil. It has a personality that is malicious and its out to get you! if you drink any coffee, you must go confess this sin to your priest and pay the church. It also helps to lash yourself in penance

Don't worry, it will be too expensive fifty years from now anyway.

Kasper

Kasper if you are functioning good you dont get bad symptoms of you suddenly dont drink coffee one day. I can drink 2 liters of coffee one day and drink nothing the day after and i dont feel anything.

Do you really feel nothing ? Hard to believe. But maybe you are some kind of superhuman that restores all his lost receptor sensitivity in his sleep every evening.. Who knows. I think most people do feel something if they suddenly quit drinking coffee. This guy Dewitt is quite an extreme example:
http://peatarian.com/42553/diary-of-a-coffee-addict

I get kind of similar symtpoms if I suddenly drop ritalin.

So please calm down all people

Haha, sorry to share my thoughts, I will keep myself quite now...

I would rather worry about the methylphenidate than the coffee but I get your point.

bradley

Such_Saturation, what trailer are you referring to?

Such_Saturation said:
Ray Peat is simply evolving into a Starchild (this ia best seen in the trailer for the movie those two hipster guys are making :mrgreen: ).

starchild-ricostruz1.jpg

bradley said:
Such_Saturation, what trailer are you referring to?

Such_Saturation said:
Ray Peat is simply evolving into a Starchild (this ia best seen in the trailer for the movie those two hipster guys are making :mrgreen: ).

starchild-ricostruz1.jpg

I found it on Pranarupa's Facebook page, it seems promising.

lindsay

All this talking about how bad caffeine is (or how it's good and bad) means I need to go and make another pot of espresso- mwah ha ha ha ha! But seriously - am I the only one who feels no bad effects from coffee, despite being hypothyroid? Maybe you all should switch to espresso - I think it's superior on many levels. Little amount requiring lots of milk or cream and sugar and it has lots more magnesium, which helps.

Jenn

I used to be hyper sensitive to caffeine. One sip of highly diluted green tea by accident one day had me wired all night. I could have a few sips of coffee in the AM and have lots of energy, but I would be borrowing the energy from the next couple of days.

Then I changed my diet and started supplementing magnesium and using salt on my food, etc. After about 6 months I tried a little coffee with milk and evil sugar. I felt fine the next day. By accident one day, I went to a friend's house in the afternoon and we shared some coffee with cream from her cow and sugar. It was so yummy, I had 2 cups. I got home and had another cup with gelatin because it was cold. I had the BEST, deepest, longest sleep I had had in YEARS and felt wonderful the next day.
So, in my experience, coffee is lovely but it can magnify weaknesses in your own personal metabolism as it speeds up the metabolism. I drink more coffee in the winter than in the summer. Some days I have it with are as every meal, some days I don't have any at all.

lindsay

Jenn said:
I drink more coffee in the winter than in the summer. Some days I have it with are as every meal, some days I don't have any at all.

Coffee has been a necessity for me with the shorter days. In summer, I don't need to drink nearly as much coffee as I do in winter. I don't feel much of an effect from it, other than it slightly boosts my energy levels and gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning :) The magnesium is one of the reasons I switched to espresso though - you get far more magnesium when you use an espresso machine (from the high pressure) than you do from regular coffee.

Also, perhaps it is the magnesium in the espresso, but I feel real relaxed after a cup of coffee (like I could take a nap) and then an energy boost a couple hours later.

Jenn

My understanding is the darker the roast, the less caffeine in the brew. I think I read that on a "roast your own beans" site. I attempted to make espresso once. It just tasted burnt to me. I gave the rest of the bag to a friend. She told me I did it wrong, but happily accepted the gift.<L> If I could afford it, I would only drink light roasted Kona.<G>

Raypmom

lindsay said:
All this talking about how bad caffeine is (or how it's good and bad) means I need to go and make another pot of espresso- mwah ha ha ha ha! But seriously - am I the only one who feels no bad effects from coffee, despite being hypothyroid? Maybe you all should switch to espresso - I think it's superior on many levels. Little amount requiring lots of milk or cream and sugar and it has lots more magnesium, which helps.

No, Coffee helps me. DAILY!!

What brand of espresso do you use ? I use espresso grounds, store brand. I use the drip method, how do you make yours? Espresso machine?

lindsay

Raypmom said:
lindsay said:

What brand of espresso do you use ? I use espresso grounds, store brand. I use the drip method, how do you make yours? Espresso machine?

I buy varying types of coffee beans, but usually from Wholefoods. I grind them on the fine espresso grade setting, and then I make coffee with an espresso machine - an electric one with high pressure steam. It was a christmas gift last year and I love it :)

Raypmom

lindsay said:
Raypmom said:
lindsay said:

I buy varying types of coffee beans, but usually from Wholefoods. I grind them on the fine espresso grade setting, and then I make coffee with an espresso machine - an electric one with high pressure steam. It was a christmas gift last year and I love it :)

I baught a D'longhi I think it's called? I returned it shortly after. It was pretty weird and the amount of time it took for just a small cup. I'm looking to buy a much better one soon. I love coffee so much.

lindsay

Raypmom said:
It was called a D'longhi Pump Espresso.

That looks way nicer than mine!! I just have a regular old Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I am going to look for a better one in the future, but for now, it gets the job done :)

I cannot survive without coffee, especially this time of year. I'm shocked at how much more magnesium espresso has and like you said lindsay, with less water there's more room for milk and honey.

I'm thinking this sounds like a perfect Christmas gift to myself, thanks for the inspiration ladies!

:coffee

Steven e

I noticed a long time ago that Thai iced tea didn't make me jittery or have other negative effects of caffeine. That in spite of the fact that it is usually made with very strong tea. Must be the huge amount of sugar and the fact that I'm never having it unless with a full meal at a dining establishment. My ex-wife spent some time living in Northern Italy. She said that breakfast was usually small and sweet, basically pastries, with a shot of espresso. She said the espresso is served hot and you dump enough sugar in it to cool it down so you can slam it like a shot. It all makes sense now. I use an italian stovetop espresso maker by Stella that is awesome. The gasket burned out, so I ordered another one from italy. I figured it was the one cup model since it's very small and only makes less than 1/2 cup. I got the one cup gasket and it was tiny. Turns out I had the 4 cup maker! People are slamming huge cups of coffee all at once with no regard to physiological state. I know that's what I did for years... huge cup first thing before breakfast. No wonder it makes us feel like crap. I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to experimenting with reintroducing coffee! I miss it like a long lost love :cry: . sipping a big hot cup in the morning is nice, but milky, heavily sweetened shots all day long sounds pretty awesome too!

tara

Welcome steven e :welcome

khan

Is caffeine a diuretic for those who are hypothyroid or diuretic for everyone?

Curt :-)

@Kasper, I've always wondered the same thing; Peat sounds like an elderly person with the shakes or Parkinson's, or something. I don't think I've seen a video of him, but his voice has a kind of timid feeling to it. And I always thought that someone with such good cognitive function would converse faster, and say "um" a lot less lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals