A thread for Great movies to watch

Demyze

Herbie

White Tiger -2012

Russian ww2 tank film.

After one has watched enough films, they cannot watch Hollywood anymore.

DMF

"The Magdelene Sisters"
Well done underappreciated film about real life monsters in positions of authority, taking place in Ireland, 1950's

A

Adf

Definitely not a 'favorite' but I thoroughly enjoyed Willy's Wonderland. I don't know why but I enjoy most of Nic Cage's movies, even the ones most others don't. He has a weirdness or quirkiness that I think is artful. Great artists are all wacky.

I absolutely hated Black Panther, the movie was so dark in most of the action scenes I couldn't see a thing, not to mention it was so boring.

I know my opinions differ from others, but I sometimes wonder whether so many opinions of movies today are based on group/mob think. I honestly do not believe how Black Panther did so well, it was one of the worst Marvel MCU films IMO, worse than any of the Iron Man sequels (which werent nearly as good as IM1 but still pretty good).

Jennifer

The Wizard of Oz
Rudy
Karate Kid I and II
Iron Eagle
Rocky
Say Anything
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
The Goonies
Forrest Gump
Remember the Titans
Saving Private Ryan
A Few Good Men
Good Will Hunting
When Harry Met Sally
Dirty Dancing
An Officer and a Gentleman
Stand by Me
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
This Is Spinal Tap
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
The Sound of Music
It’s a Wonderful Life
West Side Story
To Kill a Mockingbird
My Fair Lady
Rebel Without a Cause
Kate & Leopold

Herbie

All the films posted are from the IMDb top 250. I propose everyone watch the top 250, watch whatever those films lead you onto from directors and actors. Then check the 250-500.

VitoScaletta

Good Will Hunting
A Shawshank Redemption
The Silence Of The Lambs + Red Dragon
A Bronx Tale
Come And See (Russian)
This Is England
The Thing (both..)
Bone Tomahawk
The Russian films: Brother 1 and 2
Scarface
The Basketball Diaries
Howl's Moving Castle and also Spirited Away
Fight Club
Interstellar
Hereditary (good horror film)
Terminator 1 and 2
Shrek films
Boyz N The Hood
Taxi Driver
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Full Metal Jacket
Purgatory (Russian movie, interesting combat depiction of Chechen war)
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre
No Country For Old Men
Elephant, both films

L

Lord Cola

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTAIbHtb04

Texhnolyze
In a man-made underground society, descendants of a banished generation vie for control of the crumbling city of Lux. Ichise, an orphan turned prize fighter, loses a leg and an arm to satisfy an enraged fight promoter. On the brink of death he is taken in by a young woman doctor and used as a guinea pig for the next evolution of Texhnolyze. With his new limbs, Ichise is taken under the wing of Oonishi, a powerful leader of Organ, an organization with some hold on Lux. As Ichise is drawn deeper into a war for territorial control of the city, he learns of his possible future from the young girl prophet Ran, who guides him from the shadows in his darkest times. With the explosion of the warfare, Ichise must uncover the truth about Lux and fight for his survival as he realizes his destiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zsazsa

Solaris
Original title: Solyaris
2h47m
Director Andrei Tarkovsky
A psychologist is sent to a station orbiting a distant planet in order to discover what has caused the crew to go insane.

Taglines
Let us take you with us to Solaris, planet of mystery, embodiment of man's latent conflict with the unknown. Man, face to face with his conscience, and with his past.
Genres
Drama Mystery Sci-Fi
Soundtracks
The Little Organ Book: Ich Ruf Zu Dir, Herr Jesu Christ - BWV 639
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach

The movie is a philosophical discussion about how we are enslaved by fruitless desires

Tales from the Golden Age
Original title: Amintiri din epoca de aur
2h35m
Directors Hanno Höfer, Razvan Marculescu, Cristian Mungiu
Tales from the Golden Age is composed of 5 unconventional short stories, each one dealing with the late communist period in Romania, told through its urban myths from the perspective of ordinary people. The title of the film refers to the alluded "Golden Age" of the last 15 years of Ceausescu's regime.

Top review
9/10
Brilliant.....and scarily close to the truth.
I was born in Bucharest in 1980 and we lived there till we emigrated to Canada in 88. I remember a lot of these type of situations vividly. The pig in the apartment....I almost bloody died laughing. The Ceausescu hat one....brilliant. This is movie was absolutely hilarious if you lived, or know, what living in Eastern Europe at that time was like. The lineups for groceries, the lack of basic neccesities, hot water only in certain times of the day, having to line up and push your car to get gas, having to "know a guy" to get certain thing be it gas, meat, bread, fruit.....Romanians became very resourceful. Its movies like this that make me proud of Romanian cinema!!

One year after watching the movie I met a person from Romania who guaranteed it to be very factual. Dark-ish humor.

Hayley

I really enjoyed this one:

8ADEEE1B-F0C2-41F6-A852-7ECB28A1263C.jpeg

Vileplume

-Jerry Maguire
-Moon
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-Old Joy
-Her
-Life Itself

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back