Acceptable Dress Shoes?

Cirion

Totally random question, figured this thread was most appropriate on these sub forums. I have a big job interview coming up next Monday, and I hope to make a good impression.

I have no fashion sense. And so, I come to you guys...

Would you consider the black variant of these shoes acceptable for a job interview? Technically they are hiking shoes...

Men's Boulder Boot Leather

Normally I get their nine-to-five shoes for my "dress" shoes but they are sold out of my size =( Also I can't / don't want to buy or wear "traditional" dress shoes as most of these tear up my feet. I am in love with this company because the huge toebox makes my toes so happy. And I am a fan of minimalistic footwear also.

L16_large.jpg

4raven_1024x1024.jpg

Show the rest please, not only your boots.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well the rest of the lower body would be standard black chinook (or whatever the dress pants are called), black socks etc. Followed of course with probably a white dress shirt (can never go wrong there), a solid tie, and a dark dress jacket. I'm reasonably confident in the rest of my outfit, just not sure how the boots will work out... I THINK they will... I guess looking for mental reassurance before I buy it =P

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah that's not what I meant by chino. I thought that's what they're called. I would look roughly like this, this is pretty much typically my go-to style for interviews with only mild differences.

HZ00182_001.jpg

Yeah that's not what I meant by chino. I thought that's what they're called. I would look roughly like this, this is pretty much typically my go-to style for interviews with only mild differences.

HZ00182_001.jpg
Well those boots then are PUFA boots in your otherwise fully saturated outfit

Whats the weather there in your place? Do you drive a car or use public transport to get to that interview?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I'm flying down to orlando FL (I live in st. louis currently). So probably pretty hot. Will be getting a rental car. Maybe I should just buy feet-raping shoes then. It's not like I'd wear them for anything other than super special occasions like interviews and maybe the occasional high-class date or funeral or something. I can pack more comfortable shoes and just slip into them the morning of the interview. I'm rather excited as getting this job would officially jump me into the magical land of six digit income. The actual % raise is not MASSIVE but definitely enough to merit moving for (especially since they'd probably handle the relocation fees anyways) but there's something psychologically awesome about breaking the 6 digit income barrier that I just want =P Plus, florida has no state income tax, which is like another raise of its own.

Last edited:
I donated them to this fellah after

OP
Cirion

Cirion

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I donated them to this fellah after

lol nice.

Sad... I don't think I can do the shoes I posted above, no methods to expedite shipping, can't risk the shipping time, cutting it too close.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

lampofred

Don't think there would be too much of an issue if the pants covered the laces. But if it's a more appearance-oriented firm like a banking or consulting firm as opposed to a tech firm I think it might be a little bit risky

EDIT: The Rockport's look good

Last edited:
I think I got you link to Canadian website, lol. Check they have US page too

jacob

lampofred

I'm flying down to orlando FL (I live in st. louis currently). So probably pretty hot. Will be getting a rental car. Maybe I should just buy feet-raping shoes then. It's not like I'd wear them for anything other than super special occasions like interviews and maybe the occasional high-class date or funeral or something. I can pack more comfortable shoes and just slip into them the morning of the interview. I'm rather excited as getting this job would officially jump me into the magical land of six digit income. The actual % raise is not MASSIVE but definitely enough to merit moving for (especially since they'd probably handle the relocation fees anyways) but there's something psychologically awesome about breaking the 6 digit income barrier that I just want =P Plus, florida has no state income tax, which is like another raise of its own.

I read according to ancient sources (Greek/Roman) improving thyroid (or "vital heat" as they called it) will naturally get you more wealth. This might be proof your thyroid function is on an upward trend...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I read according to ancient sources (Greek/Roman) improving thyroid (or "vital heat" as they called it) will naturally get you more wealth. This might be proof your thyroid function is on an upward trend...

Yeah I actually had a pretty good day today. I think I'm onto something with calorie timing (50% at breakfast, 30% at lunch, 20% at dinner). I was doing something more like 20% at breakfast, 30% at lunch, and 50% at dinner and wondered why I always felt like **** during the day and manic in the evenings. It's clear and obvious when I look at it in this lens lol

I absolutely believe improved metabolism and wealth is a pretty strong correlation. On the anabolic men forums I used to post on, this one guy said he went from low end office monkey to CEO. I believe it. Being high energy is massive to your overall well-being. Also we see here that lots of people getting healthy are starting to make their own businesses also. Haidut is a prime example, he owns a big supplement company now and frequently does interviews with various people. It's obvious to me that my own companys' CEO is ultra high energy. He looks great, athletic, always vibrant, energetic, full of life, crystal clear talking patterns, extremely good with people, etc etc etc.

tygertgr

I'd be more hesitant to hire anyone over early 20s who showed up to a white collar interview in boots or bargain bin shoes. This stuff is not hard to figure out. It exhibits a lack of taste and discernment to not "get it".

Decent boots (red wing, etc.) cost $300+, not $65. Similar for dress shoes. It's a one time investment. Just buy Allen Edmonds or Alden. I also hope you're not also under the misapprehension that you're wearing a suit when you spent $200 on it. That looks ridiculous and is literally worse than a solid attempt at business casual.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I'd be more hesitant to hire anyone over early 20s who showed up to a white collar interview in boots or bargain bin shoes. This stuff is not hard to figure out. It exhibits a lack of taste and discernment to not "get it".

Decent boots (red wing, etc.) cost $300+, not $65. Similar for dress shoes. It's a one time investment. Just buy Allen Edmonds or Alden. I also hope you're not also under the misapprehension that you're wearing a suit when you spent $200 on it. That looks ridiculous and is literally worse than a solid attempt at business casual.

Point taken, but I don't "need" this job, so I'm not desperate and going to spend $1000-2000 on clothing for it. I do want it, but not badly enough to spend that much. But, I am going to go ahead and wear the Oxford and not the Lems shoes prolly. I'm not 20s, in my 30s and already make close to 100k so like I say, its not a massive raise, not enough to make me wanna go all out. If it were like double my income, then sure maybe.

I personally think its shallow for companies to expect you to spend $1000's for a one time thing. Look good sure, but save the $5000 suits for maybe a $5M a year positions IMO... now that I can understand more. That just makes you look too much like a try-hard for a position that's not super high end-scale, but that's just me. I think it's also a tad bit different if you're planning to wear suits every day also. Let's also not forget that usually the people interviewing me are literally dressing like hobos so they don't exactly set the bar high. The last interview I went with, the main interviewer wore a short sleeved polo which had tons of pieces of lint stuck in it that was clearly visible, and I'm interviewing with the same exact company this time, so yeah, I'm not worried about under-dressing lol! =P If the guy was interviewing me and the role were reversed (IE, I was interviewing him) then even I would not have hired him -- there was zero effort in the way he dressed. There's a double standard, that somehow employers are above employees.

This is what's wrong with corporate America IMO. So much ridiculous shallowness and double standards. And I say this, and I'm not even a liberal. But I can see why people are liberals, because of things like this. If the interviewer/manager is wearing trashy clothes, they simply cannot expect an employee to wear $2,000 worth of clothes.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals