Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

J.R.K

“Exercise is pivotal for the maintenance of physical and mental wellbeing. Although essential, exercise often results in stress, particularly in animals. The degree of stress is dependent on the conditions of the exercise. During exercise, a racehorses may experience different types of stress, including oxidative (1), heat (2), hypoxic (3), hormonal (4) and glucose stress (5). As a result of these aforementioned stress responses, levels of hormones become altered, including cortisol (6), adrenaline (7) and noradrenaline (8). Among these hormones, the steroidal hormone cortisol is the primary stress hormone produced by the adrenal gland. During the onset of stress, the pituitary-adrenal axis secretes corticotrophin-releasing hormone, which stimulates the secretion of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). ACTH then in turn stimulates the adrenal gland to secrete cortisol (9). Cortisol increases blood glucose levels and suppresses the digestive system (10,11). In addition, it affects the brain regions that control fear, motivation and mood (12). Prolonged secretion of cortisol may lead to physical and psychological effects (13). Indeed, serious mental issues associated with cortisol secretion include exaggerated negative cognitions, increased feelings of anxiety and helplessness in response to stress (14).”

An interesting study @Rinse & rePeat, I wonder though about the mechanisms of how sulphur or in this case MSM, inhibits cortisol. I remember Dr Peat referencing that high sulphur content was a factor in the hair greying. This statement has had me wondering about the effects that MSM might have on aging. Any thoughts on this?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
An interesting study @Rinse & rePeat, I wonder though about the mechanisms of how sulphur or in this case MSM, inhibits cortisol. I remember Dr Peat referencing that high sulphur content was a factor in the hair greying. This statement has had me wondering about the effects that MSM might have on aging. Any thoughts on this?
I took MSM for many years, many years ago, and it was great for my skin. I have recommended it to friends and family for their joint and arthritic pain, receiving many thanks for their relief. I am only experimenting again with it, since I seem to have found a pure source. Thanks for the heads up about the gray hair, I have never heard that before. I am thinking this may be because MSM can bind to vitamin and minerals, so maybe it is binding to copper before it can be used. This is why it is recommended to take in the morning a half hour before eating.

David PS

I have no idea of the mechanism but Stephanie Seneff wrote an interesting blog about why she considers sulpur to an important mineral that is overlooked by the FSA.

Coincidently, Stephanie has grey/white hair.
Stephanie_Seneff_head_shot.jpg

J.R.K

I have no idea of the mechanism but Stephanie Seneff wrote an interesting blog about why she considers sulpur to an important mineral that is overlooked by the FSA.

Coincidently, Stephanie has grey/white hair.
Stephanie_Seneff_head_shot.jpg
Your thoughts mirror my own @David PS. Another person that promotes sulphur is Patrick Timpone who like Dr Seneff also has grey hair.

J.R.K

I took MSM for many years, many years ago, and it was great for my skin. I have recommended it to friends and family for their joint and arthritic pain, receiving many thanks for their relief. I am only experimenting again with it, since I seem to have found a pure source. Thanks for the heads up about the gray hair, I have never heard that before. I am thinking this may be because MSM can bind to vitamin and minerals, so maybe it is binding to copper before it can be used. This is why it is recommended to take in the morning a half hour before eating.
You might also tell your friends to increase their calcium intake for their arthritis as well @Rinse & rePeat . I find that being mindful of this helps with joint pain as well.

It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep
Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You might also tell your friends to increase their calcium intake for their arthritis as well @Rinse & rePeat . I find that being mindful of this helps with joint pain as well.

It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep
Ray Peat
I agree with what you are saying here. Having just read the book “The MSM Miracle ”, and having impressive results with it curing the arthritis that was setting in several of my fingers I was just excited about it. The people who I recommended it to were in their upper years and on medications dealing with pain, and I was no expert on diet back then either, eating dairy myself as well as calcium supplements. I didn’t know back then how much grains play a part in pain and calcium depletion, and even now, it would be near impossible getting most people to give up their grains to cure their pains. They are much happier for the quick fix.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your thoughts mirror my own @David PS. Another person that promotes sulphur is Patrick Timpone who like Dr Seneff also has grey hair.
Almost everyone over the age of forty has gray hair. I took it for twenty years and it didn’t give me gray hair. With that being said, the source and purity is important.

EDIT: I think it is the heavy meat and grain intake that is graying people early. MSM is in our bodies in abundance in our youth, so it can’t be the MSM itself. It has got to be how or when they are taking it, depleting other minerals, or the source, or it has nothing to do with graying. Why was I spared it graying my hair?

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Typically, white people start going gray in their mid-30s, Asians in their late 30s, and Blacks in their mid-40s. Half of all people have a significant amount of gray hair by the time they turn 50.”

“Also, a vitamin B-12 deficiency or problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature graying that’s reversible if the problem is corrected, Benabio says.”

J.R.K

Almost everyone over the age of forty has gray hair. I took it for twenty years and it didn’t give me gray hair. With that being said, the source and purity is important.

EDIT: I think it is the heavy meat and grain intake that is graying people early. MSM is in our bodies in abundance in our youth, so it can’t be the MSM itself. It has got to be how or when they are taking it, depleting other minerals, or the source, or it has nothing to do with graying. Why was I spared it graying my hair?
Perhaps the use of orange juice as a chelator and the regular use of coffee and milk as well? These are all known to chelate heavy metals or prevent there absorption on a case by case basis.
I didn’t know back then how much grains play a part in pain and calcium depletion, and even now, it would be near impossible getting most people to give up their grains to cure their pains. They are much happier for the quick fix.
Indeed @Rinse & rePeat grains are a guilty pleasure, but I find that using strictly sourdough as a benchmark helps a lot as it is difficult to find, thus the temptation is less strong as a result for me anyway.
But I can only speak for myself has anyone noticed a metallic like sensation when eating grains after being off them for awhile? I think it might be the iron added to the enriched flour.

As for MSM I wonder if there is any information on this supplement. I know he cautioned about anything that had a methyl group attached to it. But I cannot say if this would be applicable to MSM. Or if the sulphur is mounted on a methionine based product. But I did find this on the product as to how it works.

MSM has long been thought of as a sulfur donor for sulfur containing compounds such as methionine, cysteine, homocysteine, taurine, and many others.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Perhaps the use of orange juice as a chelator and the regular use of coffee and milk as well? These are all known to chelate heavy metals or prevent there absorption on a case by case basis.

Indeed @Rinse & rePeat grains are a guilty pleasure, but I find that using strictly sourdough as a benchmark helps a lot as it is difficult to find, thus the temptation is less strong as a result for me anyway.
But I can only speak for myself has anyone noticed a metallic like sensation when eating grains after being off them for awhile? I think it might be the iron added to the enriched flour.
I was speaking of high phosphorus.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
As for MSM I wonder if there is any information on this supplement. I know he cautioned about anything that had a methyl group attached to it. But I cannot say if this would be applicable to MSM. Or if the sulphur is mounted on a methionine based product. But I did find this on the product as to how it works.

MSM has long been thought of as a sulfur donor for sulfur containing compounds such as methionine, cysteine, homocysteine, taurine, and many others.

“MSM-rich foods

You may already be eating foods that naturally contain sulfur or MSM. Common foods rich in this compound can include:

coffee
beer
tea
milk
tomatoes
alfalfa sprouts
leafy green vegetables
apples
raspberries
whole grains”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Since adding MSM back into my diet this past few months, I am taking it differently than I did before. I am taking it in the morning well before eating and only the half recommended dosage, and not everyday. I thought the cortisol angle was an interesting one. I never had problems taking it everyday for years until changing brands, and that is when I stopped taking it. I don’t have pain of any sort so I am only taking it for my skin, though it is well known to thicken hair and speed up it’s growth, I don’t need that benefit either.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Due to low concentration, MSM for supplemental use is not isolated from plant sources but rather oxidized from the commercial solvent DMSO. For instance, OptiMSM produced by Bergstrom Nutrition is manufactured by oxidizing DMSO with hydrogen peroxide, followed by multiple distillation purification steps.23 This makes production of MSM more feasible and also reduces the production of organic waste.
In vitro experiments conducted by Ahn et al. showed similar effects on the activation of NLRP3 between commercially produced MSM and MSM isolated from 1 kg of either onion, garlic, or chives,43 demonstrating similar efficacy between naturally occurring and synthetically produced MSM.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Another major source of sulfur in your diet is methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM. This sulfur-containing compound naturally occurs in high concentrations in many plants and herbal remedies, such as horsetail. Plant foods that are typically high in MSM include Brussels sprouts, garlic, onions, asparagus, legumes, kale and wheat germ. However, as the sulfur content of soil influences sulfur concentrations in plants, these foods can vary greatly in their MSM content. Foods that come from animal sources are more reliable in their MSM contents, including eggs, meat, poultry, fish and milk.“

J.R.K

“MSM-rich foods

You may already be eating foods that naturally contain sulfur or MSM. Common foods rich in this compound can include:

coffee
beer
tea
milk
tomatoes
alfalfa sprouts
leafy green vegetables
apples
raspberries
whole grains”

This might be the best way to get MSM in that it would be balanced with other naturally occurring substances in foods.
That being said though I would concede it would be dependant upon the levels of MSM available in the foods you choose. For example I would not think that drinking a forty gallon barrel of coffee or a horse trough full of alfalfa sprouts a day to-get your required dosage would be a plan that would last long term.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This might be the best way to get MSM in that it would be balanced with other naturally occurring substances in foods.
That being said though I would concede it would be dependant upon the levels of MSM available in the foods you choose. For example I would not think that drinking a forty gallon barrel of coffee or a horse trough full of alfalfa sprouts a day to-get your required dosage would be a plan that would last long term.
I posted it to say MSM is a good thing and the wrong source makes it a bad thing, Ray Peat has mentioned that as his main concern. Eggs are very high in it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The good thing about MSM is that your body will just excrete what it doesn’t use.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals