Anemia?

P

Peatress

Red Blood Cells
Haemoglobin116 g/L (Range: 115 - 155)
Haematocrit0.356 (Range: 0.33 - 0.45)
Red Cell Count4.44 x10^12/L (Range: 3.95 - 5.15)
MCV80.4 fL (Range: 80 - 99)
MCHL 25.9 pg (Range: 27 - 33.5)
MCHC322 g/L (Range: 300 - 350)
RDW14.0 (Range: 11.5 - 15)

White Blood Cells
White Cell Count4.44 x10^9/L (Range: 3 - 10)
Neutrophils2.42 x10^9/L (Range: 2 - 7.5)
Lymphocytes1.68 x10^9/L (Range: 1.2 - 3.65)
Monocytes0.30 x10^9/L (Range: 0.2 - 1)
Eosinophils0.03 x10^9/L (Range: 0 - 0.4)
Basophils0.02 x10^9/L (Range: 0 - 0.1)

Iron Status
Iron11.5 umol/L (Range: 6.6 - 26)
TIBC45 umol/L (Range: 41 - 77)
Transferrin Saturation26 % (Range: 20 - 55)
Ferritin73 ug/L (Range: 13 - 150)
Vitamin B12 - ActiveH >255.0 pmol/L (Range: 25.1 - 165)
Folate - Serum14.6 ug/L

Clotting Status
Platelet Count325 x10^9/L (Range: 150 - 400)
MPV10.3 fL (Range: 7 - 13)

Is there anything in this test to explain delayed healing? Would it be helpful to raise my iron and haemoglobin?

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter

Red Blood Cells
Haemoglobin116 g/L (Range: 115 - 155)
Haematocrit0.356 (Range: 0.33 - 0.45)
Red Cell Count4.44 x10^12/L (Range: 3.95 - 5.15)
MCV80.4 fL (Range: 80 - 99)
MCHL 25.9 pg (Range: 27 - 33.5)
MCHC322 g/L (Range: 300 - 350)
RDW14.0 (Range: 11.5 - 15)

White Blood Cells
White Cell Count4.44 x10^9/L (Range: 3 - 10)
Neutrophils2.42 x10^9/L (Range: 2 - 7.5)
Lymphocytes1.68 x10^9/L (Range: 1.2 - 3.65)
Monocytes0.30 x10^9/L (Range: 0.2 - 1)
Eosinophils0.03 x10^9/L (Range: 0 - 0.4)
Basophils0.02 x10^9/L (Range: 0 - 0.1)

Iron Status
Iron11.5 umol/L (Range: 6.6 - 26)
TIBC45 umol/L (Range: 41 - 77)
Transferrin Saturation26 % (Range: 20 - 55)
Ferritin73 ug/L (Range: 13 - 150)
Vitamin B12 - ActiveH >255.0 pmol/L (Range: 25.1 - 165)
Folate - Serum14.6 ug/L

Clotting Status
Platelet Count325 x10^9/L (Range: 150 - 400)
MPV10.3 fL (Range: 7 - 13)

Is there anything in this test to explain delayed healing? Would it be helpful to raise my iron and haemoglobin?
WBC are overall on the lowish end, though not at an alarming level by any means. Many things can cause this including B6, B12, folate deficiency, chronic infection or parasites and more rarely hepatitis. Other that are possible include adrenal dysfunction, parathyroid hyperfunction, multiple food allergies. Since b12 and folate look ok (though functional deficiency can't be ruled out), I would look at possible stealth infections. If you have recently done a gut cleanse, that makes chronic low-grade infection less likely and further detective work would need to be done.

OP
P

Peatress

Thank you @chrstn4o

My WBC has always hovered on the lowish side for as long as I can remember. I can rule out functional b12 and folate deficiencies as I've had those investigated.
It's unlikely to be hapatitis as I don't have symptoms in keeping with that issue - also liver function test is normal. Low grade infection is possible but I would expect CRP to be elevated but it's within range - 0.4 mg/l (Range: 0 - 5). Adrenal dysfunction is possible, so is food allergies. As for parathyroid hyperfunction I would have to look into that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I think your results look good. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit are a little low but that may be because you are female. Eating meat might help.

OP
P

Peatress

I think your results look good. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit are a little low but that may be because you are female. Eating meat might help.
Thank you. I've not had the appetite for meat of late but will make more of an effort.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thank you. I've not had the appetite for meat of late but will make more of an effort.
Strips of beef like in a stir fry (using coconut oil) might be more appetizing than a big hunk of roast beef. Try that.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Thank you @chrstn4o

My WBC has always hovered on the lowish side for as long as I can remember. I can rule out functional b12 and folate deficiencies as I've had those investigated.
It's unlikely to be hapatitis as I don't have symptoms in keeping with that issue - also liver function test is normal. Low grade infection is possible but I would expect CRP to be elevated but it's within range - 0.4 mg/l (Range: 0 - 5). Adrenal dysfunction is possible, so is food allergies. As for parathyroid hyperfunction I would have to look into that
Forgot to mention stress. Saw similar lowish wbc values on a client of mine last week that is doing some fairly serious workouts along with job stress and less than optimal feeding schedule. If you're active, don't eat much, and have unrecognized stress, these things may also be contributing to it.

David PS

Chronically high PTH can cause anemia. Below is a good thread on PTH.

OP
P

Peatress

Forgot to mention stress. Saw similar lowish wbc values on a client of mine last week that is doing some fairly serious workouts along with job stress and less than optimal feeding schedule. If you're active, don't eat much, and have unrecognized stress, these things may also be contributing to it.
No workouts/No calorie restriction. I have injuries so I guess the stress is constant considering the pain (I don't take pain killers).
Chronically high PTH can cause anemia. Below is a good thread on PTH.

I would be very surprised if I have elevated PTH because I get plenty of calcium, vitamin D and magnesium. I guess testing is the only way to find out.

OP
P

Peatress

I've reviewed previous blood work and it looks like my current white blood count is the highest value recorded for many years. So, hopefully, things are moving in the right direction. Things that I think might have contributed to suppression of WBC

Autoimmunity
Repeated vaccines (last one 4 years ago)
Excess radiation exposure
Pufa (although I have been strict on pufa in the last 4 years I was previously keen on fish oils).

Cellular and Biochemical Effects of Combined X-Ray Radiation and Storage on Whole Blood

Neutropenia as an Adverse Event following Vaccination: Results from Randomized Clinical Trials in Healthy Adults and Systematic Review

OP
P

Peatress

1693951033076.png

AlaskaJono

Yes you can make an effort. Iron from red meat is good for most people, and can help top up the RBC. I have seen a lot of people (clients) particularly women who went the Veggie leaning/whitemeat way, and of course had eye floaters and tired easily, headaches, drained from monthly menses sessions, and craved chocolate, and went for the café Latte, or mocha, and not the balanced diet way.... as in Tao. Balanced meaning Protein/Carbs/Veggies, in the ratio that balances you out. and Protein for some means that must eat some red meat regularly, almost daily (doesn't have to be big T-bone steaks, just a small portion like your fist size, depending on age and climate etc... . Just my experience in treating 1000s people over 30 years.
You are moving in the right direction so... good on ya! ...keep experimenting and make sure you move everyday. :):

Beatrix_

This is a rat study, but is something I observed on my own blood test results, so perhaps there are any sulfites in your food? I saw a drop in lymphocytes from consuming coconut oil in the blood results of my father, my husband and my own.

P.S. coconut products always have sulfites added, and in some countries there is no legal demand to disclose it. Fresh coconut naturally contain sulfites to some degree.

Beatrix_

Beatrix_

Another source loaded with sulfites is vinegar, and I have been doing the vinegar hack for better glucose absorption ( @David PS ) with excellent results, but I noticed a strong drop in Zinc in lab results of my mother and my own, despite high consumption of zinc-rich foods - an issue likely to affect more females. I opted to keep with the vinegar and added a Zn supplement. Sulfites are also known to destroy B1, so it is important to watch for it and supplement if ingestion of B1-rich foods is low.

David PS

Another source loaded with sulfites is vinegar, and I have been doing the vinegar hack for better glucose absorption ( @David PS ) with excellent results, but I noticed a strong drop in Zinc in lab results of my mother and my own, despite high consumption of zinc-rich foods - an issue likely to affect more females. I opted to keep with the vinegar and added a Zn supplement. Sulfites are also known to destroy B1, so it is important to watch for it and supplement if ingestion of B1-rich foods is low.
Thank you for the tag. I will watch to ensure that I have food sources of zinc in my diet.

OP
P

Peatress

Yes you can make an effort. Iron from red meat is good for most people, and can help top up the RBC. I have seen a lot of people (clients) particularly women who went the Veggie leaning/whitemeat way, and of course had eye floaters and tired easily, headaches, drained from monthly menses sessions, and craved chocolate, and went for the café Latte, or mocha, and not the balanced diet way.... as in Tao. Balanced meaning Protein/Carbs/Veggies, in the ratio that balances you out. and Protein for some means that must eat some red meat regularly, almost daily (doesn't have to be big T-bone steaks, just a small portion like your fist size, depending on age and climate etc... . Just my experience in treating 1000s people over 30 years.
You are moving in the right direction so... good on ya! ...keep experimenting and make sure you move everyday. :):
Thank you for the encouragement. I've never been vegan or even vegetarian but I haven't always found it easy to consume red meat. The change in food craving (the absence of) comes as a result of challenging health issues. I'm eating red meat now but cautious not to exceed safe phosphate levels - not that I know what they are but if my kidneys start to hurt I will report here.

OP
P

Peatress

Additional interesting info:

Thank you. I do eat coconut oil but not enough to cause issues. The problem is if I were to limit my food choices to foods I tolerate or foods that do not cause me issues I would starve. Sulphite does block thiamine. I used to be very concerned about this in the past but not so much now as I no longer consume high sulphite foods, as least not in large quantities. Mind you some people say gelatin has sulphite and I eat this daily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals