Anyone overcome "coffee bloat"?

Vileplume

Lately I've been getting bloated from coffee, even with multiple brands and brewing styles: cold brew, chemex, french press.

I've read about several other forum members also reporting this same thing.

Has anyone overcome coffee bloat, or resolved digestive issues from coffee? Any ideas how to tolerate it better?

A

Adf

One teaspoon Activated charcoal taken morning and night seem to drastically help me with any bloat. That might help, although I don't get coffee bloat so I can't say for sure.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

One teaspoon Activated charcoal taken morning and night seem to drastically help me with any bloat. That might help, although I don't get coffee bloat so I can't say for sure.
Thanks. I do like AC but it didn’t stop the bloating from coffee. But I found out that I don’t get bloated if I do the coffee as espresso or in a French press.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

have you tried instant? no water just pour it into coffee.
I tried it once like a year ago and thought it gave me stomach discomfort, so I never tried again. But it could’ve been something else that day irritating my intestines. Do you digest it better than other forms of coffee?

I was getting bloated from pourover and cold brew coffee made in a chemex, but unfiltered forms of coffee—French press and espresso—don’t seem to cause any bloating, which resolved insomnia issues from coffee as well.

Cloudhands

for me the bloat was literally the volume of liquids i was consuming.
Another thing me and my gf both stopped is white sugar or honey. They would give us bloating if we had any other kind of stress in our lives. Maple syrup doesnt do this to us.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

@Cloudhands i also do better with no sugar or honey. Honey makes me super bloated, and white sugar feels like it worsens my tongue coating.

High liquid doesn’t seem to make me bloated but I think it makes the tongue coating worse. And coffee+milk seems to sit heavier than the same amount of just straight milk.

Luann

Or, join us at this no-coffee thread, where we are all very sleepy. Lol
The high liquid is why I can never stick to the classic Peat diet.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Or, join us at this no-coffee thread, where we are all very sleepy. Lol
The high liquid is why I can never stick to the classic Peat diet.
Lol, I did see that thread and jumped in. I’ve been following along.

I feel like coffee energizes my brain in a healthy and constructive way, so I’m reluctant to give it up.

Cloudhands

Lol, I did see that thread and jumped in. I’ve been following along.

I feel like coffee energizes my brain in a healthy and constructive way, so I’m reluctant to give it up.
i drink coffee all day, acutely extra liquid isnt a big deal, but over the course of a day it decreases my blood osmolarity and makes it so i need to eat un-culinary amounts of salt to stay warm and calm

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

i drink coffee all day, acutely extra liquid isnt a big deal, but over the course of a day it decreases my blood osmolarity and makes it so i need to eat un-culinary amounts of salt to stay warm and calm
In those cases, how do you get salt? On food or on its own?

Cloudhands

In those cases, how do you get salt? On food or on its own?
usually i put it on meat or eggs or cheese or something. Just enough that it ruins the food a little. I think espresso would overcome the same issue that instant does. I emailed ray a while ago and we agreed that the metals in espresso machines can be dangerous, but i personally wouldnt care lol

Luann

So, I always thought that the issue with high liquid was that it diluted and caused you to pee out more than just salt. But if you are are replacing the other nutrients too I guess that works

Cloudhands

So, I always thought that the issue with high liquid was that it diluted and caused you to pee out more than just salt. But if you are are replacing the other nutrients too I guess thathat works
i think maybe other nutrients as well, i just think that the macro minerals are the ones that make the biggest acute difference

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I think coffee's freshness and a recent roasting date make a big difference.

Lately I've been getting Peet's coffee roasted within the last two weeks. Costco carries it, and each bag lists the date it was roasted. It digests without issue.

Veritas IV

To the OP,

The one time i get noticeable negative effects from coffee is drinking it too soon after meals. I can drink some about 20 or 30 minutes before a meal, but after a meal i need to wait approx 60 to 90 minutes otherwise i go into a mild torpor. I had noticed this many years ago. Others' experience here and old studies posted in this forum are what alerted me that this feeling likely isn't healthy, so now i wait longer.

The one thing i can't recall is if coffee promotes persorption having it too soon after certain meals.

Your case does sound different though, wondering if it has to do with mold-toxins etc, or even brew method as you mentioned.

Also, paper coffee filters do remove certain substances, Cafestrol and Kahweaol, but i've never researched if it's truly beneficial to do so.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

To the OP,

The one time i get noticeable negative effects from coffee is drinking it too soon after meals. I can drink some about 20 or 30 minutes before a meal, but after a meal i need to wait approx 60 to 90 minutes otherwise i go into a mild torpor. I had noticed this many years ago. Others' experience here and old studies posted in this forum are what alerted me that this feeling likely isn't healthy, so now i wait longer.

The one thing i can't recall is if coffee promotes persorption having it too soon after certain meals.

Your case does sound different though, wondering if it has to do with mold-toxins etc, or even brew method as you mentioned.

Also, paper coffee filters do remove certain substances, Cafestrol and Kahweaol, but i've never researched if it's truly beneficial to do so.
Thanks for sharing that. Do you drink it black?

Veritas IV

Thanks for sharing that. Do you drink it black?
NP

Around 3oz whole milk, 1tsp sugar or honey, sometimes with collagen powder. And more recently , sometimes with a 1/4 tsp baking soda or less to not notice it.

Standard drip brew with paper filter or instant. Darker beans preferred. Will eventually buy the ceramic pour over to avoid plastic coffee makers.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

To the OP,

I’ve been thinking about this more. Why do you think coffee induces this torpor when taken too closely to a meal? Do you think it has to do with the persorption, or coffee causing some digestive interference?

I’ve noticed that milk+sugar on its own digests fine for me, it always feels light. However, sometimes coffee with the same amount of milk will lead to a heavy feeling, like it sits in the gut long afterward.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals