Aspirin Could Reverse The Effects Of Tooth Decay

Soren

Forum Supporter
Aspirin could REVERSE the effects of tooth decay by helping teeth to 'self-repair', scientists discover

Chock up another win for aspirin.

"The new research findings, which were presented at the British Society for Oral and Dental Research Annual Conference in Plymouth, found that low-dose aspirin 'significantly increased' the rebuilding of minerals which restores strength and function."

"It also stimulated existing stem cells in the tooth to regenerate the damaged tooth structure."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4858672/Aspirin-REVERSE-effects-tooth-decay.html#ixzz4rwpK3Snh

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
don't think its been fully published yet. Just presented at this dentistry conference in the UK.

this is all I could find,

031 Aspirin Induces Osteogenic Differentiation of Dental Pulp Stem Cells. Rankin, R.2 , Lundy, F. T.2 , Schock, B.2 , Zhang, S.2 , About, I.1 , Linden, G.2 , Irwin, C.2 , El Karim, I. A.2 1 Faculté d'Odontologie , University of d-Aix Marseille 2Queen's University Belfast.

https://www.bsodr.org.uk/meetings/plymouth-2017/BSODR-Plymouth-2017-Oral-and-Poster-Schedule.pdf

This is an older study
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v17/n12/full/nm.2542.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Stem cell–based regenerative medicine is a promising approach in tissue reconstruction. Here we show that proinflammatory T cells inhibit the ability of exogenously added bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BMMSCs) to mediate bone repair. This inhibition is due to interferon γ(IFN-γ)–induced downregulation of the runt-related transcription factor 2 (Runx-2) pathway and enhancement of tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) signaling in the stem cells. We also found that, through inhibition of nuclear factor κB (NF-κB), TNF-α converts the signaling of the IFN-γ–activated, nonapoptotic form of TNF receptor superfamily member 6 (Fas) in BMMSCs to a caspase 3– and caspase 8–associated proapoptotic cascade, resulting in the apoptosis of these cells. Conversely, reduction of IFN-γ and TNF-α concentrations by systemic infusion of Foxp3+ regulatory T cells, or by local administration of aspirin, markedly improved BMMSC-based bone regeneration and calvarial defect repair in C57BL/6 mice. These data collectively show a previously unrecognized role of recipient T cells in BMMSC-based tissue engineering.

Another
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Background: This study investigates the effects of aspirin (ASA) on the proliferative capacity, osteogenic potential, and expression of growth factor–associated genes in periodontal ligament stem cells (PDLSCs).

Methods: Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) from PDL tissue were isolated from human premolars (n = 3). The MSCs’ identity was confirmed by immunophenotyping and trilineage differentiation assays. Cell proliferation activity was assessed through 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide assay. Polymerase chain reaction array was used to profile the expression of 84 growth factor–associated genes. Pathway analysis was used to identify the biologic functions and canonic pathways activated by ASA treatment. The osteogenic potential was evaluated through mineralization assay.

Results: ASA at 1,000 μM enhances osteogenic potential of PDLSCs. Using a fold change (FC) of 2.0 as a threshold value, the gene expression analyses indicated that 19 genes were differentially expressed, which includes 12 upregulated and seven downregulated genes. Fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9), vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGFA), interleukin-2, bone morphogenetic protein-10, VEGFC, and 2 (FGF2) were markedly upregulated (FC range, 6 to 15), whereas pleotropin, FGF5, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, and Dickkopf WNT signaling pathway inhibitor 1 were markedly downregulated (FC 32). Of the 84 growth factor–associated genes screened, 35 showed high cycle threshold values (≥35).

Conclusions: ASA modulates the expression of growth factor–associated genes and enhances osteogenic potential in PDLSCs. ASA upregulated the expression of genes that could activate biologic functions and canonic pathways related to cell proliferation, human embryonic stem cell pluripotency, tissue regeneration, and differentiation. These findings suggest that ASA enhances PDLSC function and may be useful in regenerative dentistry applications, particularly in the areas of periodontal health and regeneration.

Birdie

Thank you.

kdvwest

Low dose as in baby aspirin or lower using drops?

I assume taken internally and not as a topical agent left on for X number of minutes.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Decided to give this some practical application to this by making some mouthwash.

Made using water, 1000mg of crushed aspirin, couple of drops of vitamin k2 and 3mg of methylene blue.

I have a few teeth with expsoded dentine that are quite painful to touch so let's see if this helps. Been using it for a few days and the pain I had in my back teeth has already gone. This is likely just the analgesic effect of aspirin and MB killing bacteria but hopefully over a longer period it will lead to healing of dentine too.

Methlyne blue stains all the teeth, doesnt it?

Last edited:
Do you mean stain?

Yes it stains a little bit but it washes out with water and a light brushing quite easily for me.

Yes I mean stains. Thanks. Will try it.

Jem Oz

Any updates @Soren ?

I've been reading up on tooth decay on this forum as I've just realised I can see a few brown spots on my back teeth. I REALLY don't want to go down the traditional dentist route. X rays, fillings etc.

If anyone reads this, if you had some tooth decay that wasn't painful and looked somewhat superficial, would you try to heal it naturally, or would you head to the dentist? I'm of two minds at the minute

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Any updates @Soren ?

I've been reading up on tooth decay on this forum as I've just realised I can see a few brown spots on my back teeth. I REALLY don't want to go down the traditional dentist route. X rays, fillings etc.

If anyone reads this, if you had some tooth decay that wasn't painful and looked somewhat superficial, would you try to heal it naturally, or would you head to the dentist? I'm of two minds at the minute

So far so good. I stopped for a bit due to traveling but started again recently. One thing I would say is that you have to make sure you dilute the aspirin just right because if it is too concentrated it makes my teeth feel almost sticky and causes them to feel like they are grinding when they touch each-other.

Another thing to look at for healthy teeth is red light therapy. It can be tricky to get the light to the back teeth but there are ways to do it.

Red light and oral health - Red Light Man

baccheion

So far so good. I stopped for a bit due to traveling but started again recently. One thing I would say is that you have to make sure you dilute the aspirin just right because if it is too concentrated it makes my teeth feel almost sticky and causes them to feel like they are grinding when they touch each-other.

Another thing to look at for healthy teeth is red light therapy. It can be tricky to get the light to the back teeth but there are ways to do it.

Red light and oral health - Red Light Man
What happened with this experiment? Did it work?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals