BEANS: Anyone Else Include Legumes/lentils In Their Diet Regularly?

InChristAlone

Beans are one thing I've been avoiding for a couple yrs esepecially especially refried beans. I had a major panic attack after eating those leftover. Also my first severe panic attack I recall having eaten a burrito with black beans at Qdoba several hrs before. That's not to say I couldn't tolerate them now, but they must have been toxic to my system. We are all different.

-Protein (even if bean-protein is 30% bioavilable, that's still 13g protein per cup of beans.)

After putting this through my peat-cooker, That low value of digestibility is not true:

If you take the values if DIAAS, Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score, you get a digestibility score of kidney beans = 51 % but this is when takeing the lowest value of the aminoacids methionine/cycteine, and these are the ones that you have to compensate for with extra glycine, right.

So if you exclude the number for methionine, you will get a boosted digest. value of 80 %
Therefore I think, beans are a very good protein source, better then muscle meat, for beans have a more favorable AA content and digest faster then meat, which is better for a fast metabolism.
link
Table 5
Digestible indispensable amino acid values of cooked Canadian pulses

[/QUOTE]

DaveFoster

"At least 100,000,000 Chinese are hypothyroid, and 25,000,000 are retarded...
Dr. Peat would not do well in modern PC culture. That's quite a bit: almost 2% of their population.

I eat regularly stewed red kindey beans, pressure cooked. This is a traditional dish in Belize. But I let is settle and remove the top layer of PUFAS and enjoy the beans with white rice, add union powder and coriander or curry powder to chelate heavy metals, oh and for the taste of course hehe. Cooking-ware here are mostly scratched aluminum :(

I find beans extremely problematic, allergy-causing and very bad in any quantity for me.

If you eat them constantly, your body gets used to them but that happens with a lot of "bad" foods.

I do not think they are a good addition to your diet unless you don't/can't eat seafood and meat.

InChristAlone

I find beans extremely problematic, allergy-causing and very bad in any quantity for me.

If you eat them constantly, your body gets used to them but that happens with a lot of "bad" foods.

I do not think they are a good addition to your diet unless you don't/can't eat seafood and meat.
Finally someone of sound mind regarding beans!

Peater Piper

"At least 100,000,000 Chinese are hypothyroid, and 25,000,000 are retarded and, actually, have cretinism from congenital low thyroid. It's been known most of this century that in areas where they eat beans as a staple of the diet, such as in China, many types of beans, including soybeans, but in the Andes region, just ordinary beans are the major cause of hypothyroidism, because of various anti-thyroid factors in beans, lentils, and certain nuts -- peanuts, for example. "

"cause hypothyroidism--too much estrogen or cortisol, too little progesterone, a diet containing too little good quality protein, too few calories, or diets containing significant quantities of beans, lentils, or undercooked broccoli or cauliflower—but in our culture unsaturated oils are probably the most important cause"
How do we know the problem here wasn't simply malnourishment? The majority of China was in abject poverty until recently.

thomas00

But Mexican people don't constantly have high gas from traditional bean dishes.

Mexico has the highest occurance of IBS in the world. Don't know if it's from beans but its another reason to want to scrutinize their health effects.

Ray has spoken about hypothyroidism often showing up after bean consumption.

lexis

Lentils have to be cooked in a certain way. Well soaked and cooked well.

South Indians eat a lentil dish called "dosa". Easily digestible depending on climate

tara

I used to eat some beans or lentils regularly - a few times a week - for years. Now I eat them much more seldom.
The good thing about them for me was that they could keep me satisfied and fueled for hours.
The down side was gas, and sometimes more obvious gut discomfort.

GutFeeling

Beans and the majority of starchs give me headache, gas, bad digestion, bad humor, ability to solve problems reduced and abdominal pain.

G Forrest

People should really start posting sources when saying things like this. For example:

"One thing that happens in the vegetable diet, heavily based on [the] cabbage family, or beans, lentils and nuts, these proteins, in quality, rank about 15 times lower than the highest quality protein. And so even though a person might think they're eating nothing but protein rich foods, beans and nuts, their quality is so low that their liver simply can't respond to the thyroid. Besides that, the beans and nuts have many anti-thyroid factors."

"At least 100,000,000 Chinese are hypothyroid, and 25,000,000 are retarded and, actually, have cretinism from congenital low thyroid. It's been known most of this century that in areas where they eat beans as a staple of the diet, such as in China, many types of beans, including soybeans, but in the Andes region, just ordinary beans are the major cause of hypothyroidism, because of various anti-thyroid factors in beans, lentils, and certain nuts -- peanuts, for example. "

"cause hypothyroidism--too much estrogen or cortisol, too little progesterone, a diet containing too little good quality protein, too few calories, or diets containing significant quantities of beans, lentils, or undercooked broccoli or cauliflower—but in our culture unsaturated oils are probably the most important cause"

All found through www.l-i-g-h-t.com

Every time he mentions lentils he warns about diets predominantly based around those, so it doesn't surprise me that he thinks lentils would be okay to eat "normally" as in mixed into a single meal. Sources should still be posted though, I couldn't find any record of him talking about lentils positively.

Thanks for providing these quotes. I've often heard Ray speak of "low quality protein", and in that first quote he says "rank about 15 times lower than the highest quality protein." Do you know what he is basing this "ranking" off of? I haven't seen any lists that rank protein in quality.

For me personally I eat some mung beans with rice and curry from time to time, called a kitchari. I find I can tolerate this if well cooked. However in my younger vegetarian days I ate beans all the time, but never overcame the gas problem. Whereas with milk I was able to build up a tolerance. Black beans and mungs are ok in moderation I've found, but I don't make them part of my regular diet otherwise there is likely some gas an indigestion inevitably.

I think we should be open to discussing foods that Peat may not necessarily find favorable, but hearing from some who find them useful in their diet. I like hearing different people's experiences with foods that aren't necessarily "Peaty" by definition. Context is everything as Ray says.

Last edited:
Thanks for providing these quotes. I've often heard Ray speak of "low quality protein", and in that first quote he says "rank about 15 times lower than the highest quality protein." Do you know what he is basing this "ranking" off of? I haven't seen any lists that rank protein in quality.

For me personally I eat some mung beans with rice and curry from time to time, called a kitchari. I find I can tolerate this if well cooked. However in my younger vegetarian days I ate beans all the time, but never overcame the gas problem. Whereas with milk I was able to build up a tolerance. Black beans and mungs are ok in moderation I've found, but I don't make them part of my regular diet otherwise there is likely some gas an indigestion inevitably.

I think we should be open to discussing foods that Peat may not necessarily find favorable, but hearing from some who find them useful in their diet. I like hearing different people's experiences with foods that aren't necessarily "Peaty" by definition. Context is everything as Ray says.

...lists that rank protein in quality.
http://www.ift.org/Food-Technology/...proposes-new-protein-quality-measurement.aspx
http://www.ift.org/Food-Technology/...proposes-new-protein-quality-measurement.aspx
edit
...reduce antinutrients in legumes:
"Pressure cooking and boiling resulted in significant (p ≤ 0.05) destruction in the anti-nutrients like phytates, tannins and trypsin inhibitors."
Effect of household cooking methods on nutritional and anti nutritional factors in green cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) pods

Last edited:

lvysaur

"At least 100,000,000 Chinese are hypothyroid, and 25,000,000 are retarded and, actually, have cretinism from congenital low thyroid. It's been known most of this century that in areas where they eat beans as a staple of the diet, such as in China, many types of beans, including soybeans, but in the Andes region, just ordinary beans are the major cause of

I'm wagering that has way more to do with dirty water, calorie starvation, and lack of proper vaccines/medical care than eating beans.

And even the portion of it due to bean consumption is probably more due to the lack of meat consumption. IE: high bean diets are really just low-meat diets.

Jehonadab

Barring cacao, all legumes are absolutely not Peaty at all and to pretend otherwise is to disregard proper categorization. I disagree with his view on them because the evidence I've seen shows positive, not negative results but that is a different topic that really has no point in being discussed here because he is against them. If you are pro-legume as a daily or most days staple, then talking about it here is retarded as a main thread. Saying a comment about how you eat them is fine but a whole thread is odd.

This is exactly where I want to see and have this discussion because at least we are all coming from the same knowledge base . I also appreciate that many people here question some of Ray's conclusions, he's not infallible and he himself clearly questioned everything he was taught and in fact adjusts his own views if evidence demands it.

I too am considering re-introducing beans / legumes into my diet. For about 3 years I was eating plant based, mostly McDougall style starch based and it wasn't terrible but I did have lower temps and pulse but I was also eating nuts being sold on them by Dr. Gregor. I am also wondering if there is any advantage to eating canned beans because of the extended soaking time. You [Westside PUFAs] even say you disagree with Ray's views on legumes and I would very much like to hear what you have to say about them. I just now realized that I haven't yet read past this post that I quoted so my apologies if you have said more about it already.

jet9

Beans and the majority of starchs give me headache, gas, bad digestion, bad humor, ability to solve problems reduced and abdominal pain.
What are your carb staples?
What starch sources are least problematic for you?

Waremu

I eat lentils mainly to make sure I get enough molybdenum in my diet. Very hard to get in high amounts from foods, partly due to soil depletion/variation. Lentils are low PUFA, high in folate, magnesium, and even choline, so it's packed with nutrients. Only beans I consume. 1-2 times per week, I make a hearty stew with lentils and vegetables and potatoes. Very delicious and filling...especially when I need some bulk. Those are the only starches I really eat (other than sometimes the occasional white rice). Every day other than those starches 1 or 2 per week, on the other 5-6 days it's a pretty strict starch free Peat diet, full of raw milk, gelatin, dates, orange juice, 1-2 eggs, and a few oysters as my daily staples. I don't eat eggs in my lentil day(s), however, to keep PUFA under or at 2 Grams max. I am also getting into adding organ meats mixed into my diet a few times per week, which include liver, heart, and kidneys mixed with ground meat trimmings, in sausage form.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals