Blue Blocker Glasses

Velve921

Has anyone had experience with wearing blue blocker glasses? More specifically wearing them before bed?

Some of my athletes notice tremendous difference in their ability to fall asleep quicker wearing the glasses.

Aspekt

I wear mine for an hour or two before bed and they make getting to sleep so much easier. This is especially the case if using screens at night (I try not to but sometimes I might get a txt from someone). I keep mine on the nightstand so I can slip them on if I wake up to go to the bathroom, since the neighbor's light shines in.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Thanks for the thoughts. I have mine on order so I'm really intrigued!

Kasper

I have the same experience. And many more people have. I think this would be a great question to ask peat, as blue blocking glasses make sure you body produces more melatonin at night, which would not be beneficial in peat's theory.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

How do blue blocking glasses cause melatonin secretion?

Would it be different if I used red light and wear glasses at the same time?

Aspekt

Blue blocker glasses could be said to cause more melatonin secretion because blue light inhibits melatonin. The thing is having your melatonin release inhibited by electronic devices right up until you go to bed is an extremely recent phenomena and not one we're adapted to. For millions of years melatonin secretion has started after sunset, even with the advent of fire this hasn't changed a lot, since fire is primarily red.

Even if melatonin has some problematic characteristics I would think that the various positive benefits to sleep from avoiding heavy blue at night is worth it.
I know in one instance when talking about melatonin's dangers he was referring to supplementing it, as it has developed a reputation as being completely harmless to do so.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Ok that definitely makes sense. So basically it's impossible to ignore melatonin come night fall unless you keep a red light on you all night? Has anyone tried that?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think forum member cliff experimented with sleeping under red light. If you search his posts or go to his blog you may be able to find information about his experience http://www.co2factor.blogspot.com.

Kasper

Red light won't prevent melatonin release, you really need blue light, like computer screens, iPads, mobile phones, to prevent melatonin from releasing.

I really doubt though if this is a good idea.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

So what are your thoughts on wearing blue blockers during the day? As I sit in front of my computer right now I have glasses and red light on.

gretchen

We may get plenty of blue light exposure through artificial lighting. We don't need more. I'm wearing regular sunglasses during the day and using a blue light cut browser, I'll be picking up some orange glasses soon. I'm gonna look at Walgreens tomorrow.

I was in the market for a new pair of ORANGE lens glasses for blocking blue light, and when I searched, I noticed that nowadays many of the eyeglasses for blocking blue light have CLEAR lenses. Are these just as good or some new technology? Or do these manufactures not really understand the value of orange lenses in blocking blue light?

I specifically wear these at night when on electronics because I figure that is when it would be most unnatural to be looking at blue light. I do not wear them during the day - although maybe I should, not really sure.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Many new prescription glasses can be obtained with a blue-light reducing filter that generally blocks 10-15% of blue light. The glasses appear clear, but have a blue-violet reflection that can only be seen by others - not the wearer. I now wear these full-time, as I have discovered that my eyes are less tired by the end of the day. I still use f.lux on my device screens to take out the blue light at night.

Many new prescription glasses can be obtained with a blue-light reducing filter that generally blocks 10-15% of blue light. The glasses appear clear, but have a blue-violet reflection that can only be seen by others - not the wearer. I now wear these full-time, as I have discovered that my eyes are less tired by the end of the day. I still use f.lux on my device screens to take out the blue light at night.

I use f.lux too. I didn't know the clear glasses block only 15% or so, that makes sense. So I guess the orange lenses block more but people dont want to wear oranges lenses, for aesthetic reasons. Since I only wear these in the house at night, I think it makes sense to me to stick with the orange lenses. Im guess they are more powerful at blocking the blue light so they serve my purposes better.

Miltron

Hello, I am about to buy a new pair of prescription myopia eyeglasses. I asked my optometrist for blue light filters and all I got was blank stares. Later he pointed me to yellow tint glass that is used for driving.

My question is this.... I can make my new eyeglasses with a yellow (sold as 15% yellow) or orange tint (sold as 25% orange). This is not a filter but a tint of the glass lenses. Can this type of lense work for blue light blocking or something else is required. Which color tint is better for night work and screen devices?

This will be a second pair of eyeglasses that I will only use indoors during the night.

Thank you.

johnsmith

I've been using the Uvex blueblocking glasses before bed for several years now but they tend to get scratched up after two years of use. I'm wondering if I should try something new. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Maybe something more stylish? Is the TrueDark brand of blueblocking glasses worth the higher price?

Last edited:

Judd Crane

Blue blocker glasses could be said to cause more melatonin secretion because blue light inhibits melatonin. The thing is having your melatonin release inhibited by electronic devices right up until you go to bed is an extremely recent phenomena and not one we're adapted to. For millions of years melatonin secretion has started after sunset, even with the advent of fire this hasn't changed a lot, since fire is primarily red.

Even if melatonin has some problematic characteristics I would think that the various positive benefits to sleep from avoiding heavy blue at night is worth it.
I know in one instance when talking about melatonin's dangers he was referring to supplementing it, as it has developed a reputation as being completely harmless to do so.
This is something I have been thinking about lately. Would it be optimal to keep color temperature in the amber range (2700K) after sunset and focusing on increasing GABA for inducing sleep instead of completely eliminating blue light a few hours before bed to increase melatonin (which lowers metabolism)?

-Luke-

The amount of melatonin produced by the body is way less than the amount found in supplements. I'm not sure that naturally produced melatonin is really a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals