Bulletproof CEO Dave Asprey & Whole Foods CEO John Mackey

Mackey, age 63, says he weighs 145 lbs., his cholesterol is 135, his LDL is 65 to 70, his blood sugar is in the 80's, and his blood pressure is 105/70. He credits these numbers to a diet which is 90% plant-based with low sugar and lots of fruits, vegetables, legumes, beans, and whole grains.

They disagree on whether moderate to high levels of fat can be part of a healthy diet.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

IMO Mackey looks quite a bit older than his age...I would put him at 70 or so, just looking at him. He also has age spots (lipofuscin, I think) on his face, a sign of oxidative stress. His numbers aren't particularly great, either...both cholesterol and BP too low. I would like to have his fasting blood sugar control, though.

IMO Asprey also looks older than he is...he's only 43 but I would have guessed 50-ish.

Of course the camera doesn't do any anyone any favors, and I'm sure neither is wearing makeup, but still.

Or maybe my opinion just means I'm a picky harpy and doesn't have anything to do with how they actually look. LOL

In any event, they're both arguing for lifestyles I don't think are particularly healty...Asprey likes too much fat and Mackey too much PUFA. So maybe that's a problem with the way they're aging, too.

encerent

IMO Mackey looks quite a bit older than his age...I would put him at 70 or so, just looking at him. He also has age spots (lipofuscin, I think) on his face, a sign of oxidative stress. His numbers aren't particularly great, either...both cholesterol and BP too low. I would like to have his fasting blood sugar control, though.

IMO Asprey also looks older than he is...he's only 43 but I would have guessed 50-ish.

Of course the camera doesn't do any anyone any favors, and I'm sure neither is wearing makeup, but still.

Or maybe my opinion just means I'm a picky harpy and doesn't have anything to do with how they actually look. LOL

In any event, they're both arguing for lifestyles I don't think are particularly healty...Asprey likes too much fat and Mackey too much PUFA. So maybe that's a problem with the way they're aging, too.

They both look bad, especially Assprey. He is 6'4" though. All people that tall look well older than their age.

kayumochi

Asprey is a genius at self-promotion and Mackey is a genius at business. These two geniuses have nothing to offer other than getting people weaned from SAD and relieving them of their money.

whodathunkit

These two geniuses have nothing to offer other than getting people weaned from SAD and relieving them of their money.
You said it better :) although I do shop at Whole Foods every week. I can get things there I can't get anywhere else (like grassfed, non-homogenized milk).

kayumochi

You said it better :) although I do shop at Whole Foods every week. I can get things there I can't get anywhere else (like grassfed, non-homogenized milk).

Whole Foods is closing stores because the competition is offering similar products at lower prices. I haven't been in one and years and don't miss it - the ones I have visited have become a *scene* for certain kinds of people to show off their bodies :)

theLaw

Asprey has admitted to taking Testosterone + Modafinil for years.........probably not a great cocktail.:eek:

whodathunkit

Whole Foods is closing stores because the competition is offering similar products at lower prices. I haven't been in one and years and don't miss it - the ones I have visited have become a *scene* for certain kinds of people to show off their bodies :)
I've heard that about a lot of WF, but honestly, neither of my local stores are like that. Although parking and getting in and out of the closest shopping center can be an horrendous experience. But that's an artifact of the location, not the people. There's a bunch of really busy, really big retailers all in the same space, plus other smaller retailers, and whoever designed the shopping center is going to HELL because they're evil, and too effing stupid and venal to be breathing. I won't go there unless it's low traffic time...early in the morning on the weekends, or late at night.

But go I do. Basically the people at both my local WF are just a bunch of regular humans like me. Never found either location to be a "display" type of place, at any hour, although during peak hours there can be lot of "day trip shoppers" just strolling around, buying one or two small things.

One thing I like about it is the staff is nice. If my produce goes bad prematurely they never ask me for a receipt or give me a hard time.

They have grassfed oxtail, milk, cheese, and bones, which I can't get all in the same place anywhere else. They also have a decent variety of organic frozen fruit that none of my local grocers has.

One of my local mainstream grocers started offering grassfed non-homogenized milk, but then switched it to grassfed homogenized because I suppose the "mainstream" snowflakes buying non-homogenized were dismayed at the tasty little chunks of yellow cream unexpectedly floating in their nice smooth milk. Still can't get grass cheese or oxtail or bones there, either.

Trader Joe's recently opened up a small store near here, and Sprout is opening one soon, but parking at TJ's is worse than WF and Sprouts looks to be as bad.

I hope they don't close any of my local WF. That would be a big bummer. They're nice stores. Not perfect, but they definitely improve my quality of life. And if I ever do see a display body there, I just look and enjoy it. :p

theLaw

The main problem with WF is that larger supermarket chains have access to the same vendors, which removes WF's advantage.

My local Publix has started carrying more and more "natural" foods over the last few years including a huge range of Milk (grass-milk, A-2, Publix Organic low fat Chocolate, etc).

whodathunkit

My local Publix has started carrying more and more "natural" foods over the last few years including a huge range of Milk (grass-milk, A-2, Publix Organic low fat Chocolate, etc).
Publix grassmilk is homogenized (at least at my local Publixes). WF sells non-homogenized.

Publix doesn't have grassfed oxtail or stewbones...only steak and ground beef. And you can get grassfed steak and groundbeef cheaper at Walmart than Publix. Publix's prices on organic beef muscle meat is the same or more expensive than WF.

Publix doesn't sell grassfed cheese. WF does.

Publix doesn't sell organic grassfed beef liver. WF does.

Publix doesn't sell organic baking cocoa (which I mix with milk and sugar in my Ninja blender for chocolate milk 100% better than anything off the shelf). WF does.

Publix's selection of organic frozen fruits is very small, limited to berries. WF has organic berries, cherries, mangoes, and peaches.

Publix only sells Uncle Matt's organic OJ, which is more expensive than WF store brand. The price of Uncle Matt's at Publix is exactly the same price as WF.

Publix does usually have organic bagged oranges, which are usually better than WF bagged oranges, and cheaper.

Publix also has one good brand of raw organic honey that's a lot cheaper than WF.

But Publix doesn't sell loose organic baking potatoes...only bagged organic russets, which are usually too small for good baking. WF sells loose potatoes.

WF organic jasmine rice is a bigger bag, cheaper, and tastes better than anything offered at Publix.

Even my local organic markets, which I would definitely prefer to patronize over a chain, don't sell all these things. I would have to cover 30 miles and shop at three different stores and still probably couldn't get the non-homogenized grass milk.

So if you're looking to actually *shop* somewhere for your Peaty lifestyle, as opposed to just picking up a specific item or two, WF is by far the best bet.

I've thought a lot about why there's so much anti-WF sentiment out there. I think it's simply because it was so obnoxiously trendy for a while, attracted a lot of snobby, trendy people with elitist mindsets. Plus, it could be really overpriced.

But these days it's mostly just a one-stop grocery store where you can get serious food for your healthy lifestyle that you can't get anywhere else. Normal-acting and normal-looking people shop there. Prices are still kind of high but they're high for organic and natural anywhere. That's the economic market at work.

Of course there may be regional differences, but anyone shopping at Publix is in my region. You might consider re-trying WF.

And no, I don't work there. :lol: I'm just against irrational bias, and I still see some of it around WF.

Last edited:

theLaw

You forgot to mention that WF staff tend to have more tattoos and more stylish clothing than Publix........oh, and much better taste in music and film.

Then there's Publix habit of hiring the elderly.........Yuck!!!

Not to mention WF has Nature's Pharmacy, which is so much cheaper than healthcare.

Also, WF apples and oranges are picked by hand and polished with Unicorn tears for freshness, where Publix fruit is picked by drones that run on fear.:eek:

I'm not a WF shill, but if you shop at Publix........you're clearly a terrorist.:cool:

whodathunkit

You forgot to mention that WF staff tend to have more tattoos and more stylish clothing than Publix........oh, and much better taste in music and film.

Then there's Publix habit of hiring the elderly.........Yuck!!!

Not to mention WF has Nature's Pharmacy, which is so much cheaper than healthcare.

Also, WF apples and oranges are picked by hand and polished with Unicorn tears for freshness, where Publix fruit is picked by drones that run on fear.:eek:

I'm not a WF shill, but if you shop at Publix........you're clearly a terrorist.:cool:
Soooo...someone gives you some reasonable facts that rationally counter your knee-jerk beliefs and you resort to caustic, hyperbolic, irrelevant rhetoric to rebut. What are you, 12?

I'm so sorry you're having a serotonin day, sweetie. Maybe your estrogen will go down soon if you do some vitamin E and progesterone. Or maybe they'll do a vote recount that will put Hilary in the White House so your vote magically counts for something again, thereby making everything right with the world. I'll pray for ya.

P.S. Clearly I use both stores on a regular basis, or I wouldn't know so much about what's at either of them. So I don't hate Publix. Logic would tell you that, if you had any at your disposal.

Publix? Ya'll in Florida?
I am. But I think Publix has expanded to some other areas in the Southeast so not sure where Mr. Johnny Law is.

Last edited:
So if you're looking to actually *shop* somewhere for your Peaty lifestyle, as opposed to just picking up a specific item or two, WF is by far the best bet.

I been there once and I must agree. am i a hipster

I'm so sorry you're having a serotonin day, sweetie. Maybe your estrogen will go down soon if you do some vitamin E and progesterone. Or maybe they'll do a vote recount that will put Hilary in the White House so your vote magically counts for something again. I'll pray for ya.

rzYv4.gif

Lecarpetron

Fellow Publix/WF shopper here. I agree with @whodathunkit...WF is the only place I can get the milk I want (besides raw from the farm, which requires that I drive to a farm), good organic cottage cheese/Greek yogurt selection, grass fed lamb/beef shanks at the best price, quality shellfis, taters, oj.

Only unpleasantry about WF is the scathing looks I get as I pour ::gasp:: evil white sugar into my (cheaper than Starbucks) WF coffee bar late.

lvysaur

One of my local mainstream grocers started offering grassfed non-homogenized milk, but then switched it to grassfed homogenized because I suppose the "mainstream" snowflakes buying non-homogenized were dismayed at the tasty little chunks of yellow cream unexpectedly floating in their nice smooth milk. Still can't get grass cheese or oxtail or bones there, either.

Trader Joe's recently opened up a small store near here, and Sprout is opening one soon, but parking at TJ's is worse than WF and Sprouts looks to be as bad.

I hope they don't close any of my local WF. That would be a big bummer. They're nice stores. Not perfect, but they definitely improve my quality of life. And if I ever do see a display body there, I just look and enjoy it. :p

100% agree with this. Whole Foods carries good stuff that nobody else around me carries, particularly with respect to milk options. I'm not sure what the "bodies on display" thing is about, maybe a lot of posters live in San Francisco?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals