Cacao Butter: Strong Anti-cortisol, Anti-anxiety Effects

Obi-wan

I scrape some cocoa butter out on a small dish with a fork and heat it up for a short period of time (seconds) until I see it start to dissolve then use it as a lotion. Cacao powder tastes way better. I have both

Tarmander

This sounds depreciative, too much sugar is individual. Maybe you are too new to know that 1 member got diabetis type 1 from deciding here to turn to sugar? I am also transitioning back to my previous Peat diet, and it is not easy now. So please no insinuation but acceptance to ones own preferences!

Nice funny answer!

Yeah this is total bull****. Sugar does not give you type 1 diabetes, I should know. Please point out this member who came to the Peat forum, ate sugar, and got type 1, because I am 99% positive you are mistaken.

Vinero

Dang this stuff gives crazy dreams. Only did a waffer of it around 2pm and my dreams were really vivid...I also checked the bottom of the bag and apparently my bag expired in June of last year...soo getting some newer stuff.
I ate some meat fried in cocoa butter yesterday, and had very vivid dreams last night.

Travis

I have recently swtiched to coconut fat and mct oil, it helps a lot with processing carbs during the day I think (and not get food coma or crave food too quickly). However with it I'm a lot more stressed during the night, I don't sleep enough and so the next day I may feel like crap. Using butter (page 12) and some beef at night seems to help.
What do you think about the different effects on glucose oxidation between oleic acid and saturated fats?
Oleic acid is a membrane lipid, and the saturated fats less so. While true that stearic and palmitic acids are found on the membrane, they exist in lower concentrations. Stearic acid can become oleic acid through Δ⁹-desaturase, so you'd think that oleic acid could spare this to some degree. This fact might appear exononerate olive oil but it does not, or at least not completely, as olive oil also contains widely variable amount of linoleic acid (so you could get a 'cancer batch' by choosing olive oil from the wrong region pressed in the wrong season). This is further complicated by the fact that commercial olive oil is the most adulterated oil, with the cheaper seed oils often added by unscrupulous profiteers. Oleic will further become Mead acid (20∶3·ω−9), exclusively a membrane lipid further distinguished by being the only 20-carbon polyunsaturated fatty acid which cannot form an eicosanoid. The other 20-carbon membrane lipid having three double bonds—dihomo-γ-linolenic acid (20∶3·ω−6)—has one if its double bonds in a different position, lending it the proper cyclooxygenase geometry to be transformed into 1-series prostaglandins. The more common arachidonic acid (20∶4) forms the 2-series prostaglandins and the α-linolenic acid-derived EPA (20∶5) is the progenitor of the 3-series. Twenty carbon monounsaturated fatty acids exist and are minor constituents of foods, and these likewise are not prostaglandin precursors without prior desaturation; one of these is an ω−9 fatty acid found in certain tropical seeds, one is an omega − 11 fatty acid found in fish, and the other is an omega minus seven fatty acid found in certain plants. The fully-saturated near-mythological arachidic acid (20∶0·ω−∅) lacks all double bonds, and is thus is an omega minus nothing fatty acid.

As the chain length decreases the velocity of metabolism increases, but only down to a point. Since the speed of diffusion of fatty acids in the body depend both on their size and their solubility in phophotidylcholine (octanol, olive oil, or equivalent model lipid), then anything under caproic becomes less diffusible. As the lipid chain decreases, it becomes more water soluble as the polar carboxyl group starts to dominate the molecule. This allows them to comingle with water, and a fourfold increase in water solubility is noted going from caproic (6∶o) to valeric (5∶o). The four-carbon butyric is our well-known product of microbial action, both in the intestines and in kefir, and is fully miscible in water. So when it comes to speed of metabolism, less is not more: there comes a point a where less carbons lead to slower metabolism. I am fairly certain that caproic acid (6∶o) metabolizes the fastest because it minimizes size while retaining full lipid solubility ⟶ allowing it to beeline straight through the cell membrane.

The longer medium-chained fatty acids will reach the liver where they will be metabolized quickly. The unsaturated oleic acid would have a greater propensity to be released into the circulation directly as a constituent of chylomicrons, perhaps becoming a membrane lipid at a later time further away. I also get the feeling that long chained unsaturated fatty acids have an anti-stress effect, which could perhaps have something to do with our endogenous cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Since 2-arachidonylglycerol is an endogenous high-affinity ligand for these cannabinoid receptors, it's probably not too absurd to suspect that other unsaturated fatty acids might have similar psychological effects.

Vinero

I also get the feeling that long chained unsaturated fatty acids have an anti-stress effect, which could perhaps have something to do with our endogenous cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Since 2-arachidonylglycerol is an endogenous high-affinity ligand for these cannabinoid receptors, it's probably not too absurd to suspect that other unsaturated fatty acids might have similar psychological effects.
I would be careful with trying to activate the cannabinoid receptors. They seem to be connected with estrogen, stress, and addiction.
Estrogen Potentiates "addiction" Through The Endocannabinoid (CB1) Receptor

Obi-wan

Nice to see you again Travisord! We will all become lipid experts and write books... the mafia in Sicily come to mind on bad olive oil. As a test dummy Stearic acid definitely has a calming effect, especially when I do trans-dermal. Travis, do me a favor, there is an edit button where you can correct words after you post. Would make things clearer at times. Thanks

Travis

Nice to see you again Travisord! We will all become lipid experts and write books... the mafia in Sicily come to mind on bad olive oil. As a test dummy Stearic acid definitely has a calming effect, especially when I do trans-dermal. Travis, do me a favor, there is an edit button where you can correct words after you post. Would make things clearer at times. Thanks
Yes there is. You can edit a post for up to ~2–4 hours afterwards (I think it's 300 minutes, but not 100% certain.) I am going to coffee/tea/water-fast for one day as a routine cleansing procedure. Muscles aren't autolyzed on very short fasts and can even grow using the amino acids liberated from autolysis elsewhere with glucose liber-
ated from stored glycogen for energy. Also, in the absence of leucine, membrane lipids can be β-oxidized for energy. Cellular auophagy can perhaps be seen as a subtle cell shrinkage—a cellular recycling procure—and not the same thing as the sporadic and selective dying of cells seen in apoptosis; these two terms are not synonymous. So a good deal of what a person will lose in both weight and volume is what previously had been membrane lipids, with little or no reduction in total cell number.

'Caloric restriction does extend the life span of many species, but it generally preserves the high metabolic rate of youth, so that at a given age the calorie-restricted animal has a higher rate of oxygen consumption per gram of body weight than the unrestricted eaters. [...] Caloric restriction slows the accumulation of the highly unsaturated fatty acids in mitochondria, and reduces peroxidation.' ―Ray Peat⁽¹⁾

I should look for an mRNA microarray of autophagy, just to verify the presence of the caspases induced. These are cytosolic proteolytic enzymes having the function of breaking down—or hydrolyzing—excessive, redundant, or otherwise unnecessary proteins. There's quite a bit of protein within the body which isn't structural: hormones such as prolactin, insulin, growth hormone, insulin-like growth hormone, interferons, and interleukins—as well as their receptors—are all proteins. Smaller, exogenous, hard-to-break-down proline-rich peptides such as exorphins and antigens would also be expected to hydrolyze into free amino acids at a faster rate under autophagy.

(1) Peat, Ray. 'Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?' raypeat·com (2007)

Last edited:

Ras

I am going to coffee/tea/water-fast for one day as a routine cleansing procedure. Muscles aren't autolyzed on very short fasts and can even grow using the amino acids liberated from autolysis elsewhere with glucose liber-
ated from stored glycogen for energy. Also, in the absence of leucine, membrane lipids can be β-oxidized for energy.
How often do you perform such fasts, and what benefits have they given to you?

tara

But question to you; How do you consume it? do you use it for cooking, as a butter substitute or just to make your own chocolate that is high in cocoa butter? i read that its very hard at room temperature?
I'm curious about recipes too.
It is hard. Mixing it with coconut oil makes it softer.

artemis

Yeah this is total bull****. Sugar does not give you type 1 diabetes, I should know. Please point out this member who came to the Peat forum, ate sugar, and got type 1, because I am 99% positive you are mistaken.
I think Xisca must be talking about me. If you remember, I developed T1D after starting Peating.

Of course, nobody knows for sure what causes T1D. Some think it's caused by a virus, some say genes, A1 milk, stress, sugar, some combination...

I do think it stretches credulity to think that I lived for 52 years without diabetes, then developed it suddenly after Peating, and it was just a coincidence? Nothing to do with the diet? Sure, it's possible, but it just doesn't seem plausible.

I'm not the only one. As I mentioned in another post, a guy from this forum contacted me about a year ago to say that the same thing happened to him. I've encouraged him to post his experience, and he said he would when he was ready. I guess he had a change of heart. It's a pity, because I think that's what this forum is here for, to relate our different experiences with this WOE.

Wagner83

I think Xisca must be talking about me. If you remember, I developed T1D after starting Peating.

Of course, nobody knows for sure what causes T1D. Some think it's caused by a virus, some say genes, A1 milk, stress, sugar, some combination...

I do think it stretches credulity to think that I lived for 52 years without diabetes, then developed it suddenly after Peating, and it was just a coincidence? Nothing to do with the diet? Sure, it's possible, but it just doesn't seem plausible.

I'm not the only one. As I mentioned in another post, a guy from this forum contacted me about a year ago to say that the same thing happened to him. I've encouraged him to post his experience, and he said he would when he was ready. I guess he had a change of heart. It's a pity, because I think that's what this forum is here for, to relate our different experiences with this WOE.
That's a shame.
What was your diet? How much fat and what type of fat did you eat?

Travis

How often do you perform such fasts, and what benefits have they given to you?
I just started again. I had read many of the classic books about ten years ago, but then had went through a period where I't thought they were somewhat sensationalized for book sales—perhaps being a bit 'woo.' But now it's actually being studied using molecular biochemistry, results of which have largely verified the older claims written before even DNA had been discovered. The keywords are different, although similar. The 21st century scientific terms found in the literature correspond to the classic macro-observational terms penned roughly 100 years ago: The terms 'fasting' and 'caloric restriction,', 'autolysis' and 'autophagy,' and 'cleansing' vs 'autosomal proteolysis' are nearly superimposable. Ray Peat has written about lipofuscin in his website articles, and fasting—or 'caloric (leucine) restriction'—seems to be the only way to influence the process besides and limiting iron, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and avoiding Al³⁺ completely. The autophagic vesicles which can induced in the neurons by leucine restriction—or mTOR downregulation—can be expected to reduce absolute lipofuscin, neurofibrillary tangle, and misfolded β-amyloid aggregate volume through initial isolation and subsequent proteolysis using lysosomal caspases. According to classic authors such as Herbert Shelton and John Tilden, fasting can bring about mental clarity after the initial phase of foggy-headedness and confusion; perhaps it does so by clearing the intra-neuronal space? Histologists have long recognized that in the very old, and often very demented, the ostensibly-undegradable lipofuscin can account for up to 75% of a neuron's internal cytosolic volume.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

I just started again. I had read many of the classic books about ten years ago, but then had went through a period where I't thought they were somewhat sensationalized for book sales—perhaps a bit 'woo.' But now it's actually being studied using molecular biochemistry, results of which have largely verified the older claims written before even DNA had been discovered. The keywords are different, although similar. The 21st century scientific terms found in the literature correspond to the classic macro-observational terms penned roughly 100 years ago: The terms 'fasting' and 'caloric restriction,', 'autolysis' and 'autophagy,' and 'cleansing' vs 'autosomal proteolysis' are nearly superimposable. Ray Peat has written about lipofuscin in his website articles, and fasting—or 'caloric (leucine) restriction'—seems to be the only way to influence the process save for avoiding Al³⁺ and limiting iron.

I've been wondering about fasts, how do you not feel absolutely terrible during the fast? If I am low on calories, I literally won't be able to sleep all night until I eat something. When I have eaten well, somewhere around the 14-16 hour mark of not eating (with sleeping in this amount of time) I feel pretty shitty and need to eat.

Obi-wan

I wonder if just going vegan for 1 or 2 days at a time would be similar

artemis

That's a shame.
What was your diet? How much fat and what type of fat did you eat?
I went from a low-carb "paleo" diet (for lack of a better word) to a typical Peat diet. Basically added fruit, fruit juices, milk and Peaty supplements to an already good, whole food diet. Butter and coconut oil were the only fats I used. But I used to consume a lot of nuts and PUFA before, and of course it can take some time to be rid of that.

managing

I went from a low-carb "paleo" diet (for lack of a better word) to a typical Peat diet. Basically added fruit, fruit juices, milk and Peaty supplements to an already good, whole food diet. Butter and coconut oil were the only fats I used. But I used to consume a lot of nuts and PUFA before, and of course it can take some time to be rid of that.
FWIW I went from a similar diet to peating and mol cured my T2D. I don't think this negates your experience. But I do think it should draw attention to the individuality of this effort.

I believe, w/o any real proof, that the key for me was making that transition slowly and using thyroid (which I have since weaned myself from).

Tarmander

I doubt it was a coincidence as well, but there are too many factors, way too many. You said it yourself, no one knows exactly what causes type 1. Often type 1 develops over time as well. They can test your child for antibodies and with a high degree of predictability say that they will get type 1, and it can take years.

With that in mind, why not blame low carb paleo? Or the nuts? Maybe it was building for years, and the final nail in the coffin was the collapse in stress hormones after adding in more carbs?

Peat has laid out a great theory on auto immune with estrogen as one of the main contributors, esplaining the higher incidence in women.

I usually ignore Xisca, but when she says that one person here got type 1 after they turned to sugar. I really scratch my head and wonder if something more idiotic can be said...really, after the body of knowledge we have...

One of the first things I learned when starting to read about Peat, and it makes perfect logical sense, is that sugar cannot be the enemy. Now maybe you eat sugar and your kidneys cannot handle the Co2 acidity, and you start retaining water. Or maybe you have bacterial problems in your intestines and sugar exasperates it and the endotoxin load...there are lots of "sugar leads to," but biochemically, sugar is your friend.

My question is, given your experience, which I think it is very important and I hope you detail it more, but I want to know; would you be willing to turn people away from Peat's work? Would you be willing to say Peat's diet gave me type 1 diabetes? Or was Xisca putting words in your mouth?

artemis

With that in mind, why not blame low carb paleo?
I guess I don't blame low-carb paleo because I didn't have any symptoms on low-carb paleo. The symptoms only started about 5 months after switching to a Peat diet.

Peat has laid out a great theory on auto immune with estrogen as one of the main contributors, esplaining the higher incidence in women.
Yes, I've read his theories on auto-immune diseases, and they made a great deal of sense to me. I'm fully aware of his views on estrogen as the root of all evil. It was after reading his writings that I stopped taking estrogen.

One of the first things I learned when starting to read about Peat, and it makes perfect logical sense, is that sugar cannot be the enemy.
Yes, I agree, and Peat makes a compelling case for this. All I can say is that in practice. in vivo, for me, it didn't work out well.

biochemically, sugar is your friend.
Until it's not. Until your body's cells can't take it in as energy any more, and it dumps it into your blood and urine, causing ketoacidosis. I lived this way for over a year, in denial of what was happening. Ended up in the emergency room with blood sugar over 500. Sugar was not my friend.

would you be willing to turn people away from Peat's work? Would you be willing to say Peat's diet gave me type 1 diabetes?

I don't know. I haven't thought about it much. Both my endocrinologist and internist definitely think it was the diet that caused it. But obviously this WOE works well for a lot of people. And Peat's work is about so much more than diet (I would say the diet part is only about 10% of his body of work, if that much). Reading his work opened my mind to so much that I had never considered before, and I value all that I've learned. So I would always encourage people to read his work. As far as implementing the diet, I suppose I would just caution people to go slow, and if they had ever had any issues at all with blood sugar regulation, to go even slower, and maybe not go there at all. I had reactive hypoglycemia my whole life -- suffered with bouts of very low blood sugar pretty often, like almost daily. So I've always had issues with blood sugar regulation. I always did best on a low carb diet. I was just so impressed with Peat, and all the sense he made on other issues, that I threw caution to the wind and embraced this diet fully, thinking that if he was so right about everything else, he was surely right about this, too, and so how could I go wrong, right? Wrong. Things could go wrong and they did go wrong, and now I live with the consequences every day.

Tarmander

I guess I don't blame low-carb paleo because I didn't have any symptoms on low-carb paleo. The symptoms only started about 5 months after switching to a Peat diet.

Yes, I've read his theories on auto-immune diseases, and they made a great deal of sense to me. I'm fully aware of his views on estrogen as the root of all evil. It was after reading his writings that I stopped taking estrogen.

Yes, I agree, and Peat makes a compelling case for this. All I can say is that in practice. in vivo, for me, it didn't work out well.

Until it's not. Until your body's cells can't take it in as energy any more, and it dumps it into your blood and urine, causing ketoacidosis. I lived this way for over a year, in denial of what was happening. Ended up in the emergency room with blood sugar over 500. Sugar was not my friend.

I don't know. I haven't thought about it much. Both my endocrinologist and internist definitely think it was the diet that caused it. But obviously this WOE works well for a lot of people. And Peat's work is about so much more than diet (I would say the diet part is only about 10% of his body of work, if that much). Reading his work opened my mind to so much that I had never considered before, and I value all that I've learned. So I would always encourage people to read his work. As far as implementing the diet, I suppose I would just caution people to go slow, and if they had ever had any issues at all with blood sugar regulation, to go even slower, and maybe not go there at all. I had reactive hypoglycemia my whole life -- suffered with bouts of very low blood sugar pretty often, like almost daily. So I've always had issues with blood sugar regulation. I always did best on a low carb diet. I was just so impressed with Peat, and all the sense he made on other issues, that I threw caution to the wind and embraced this diet fully, thinking that if he was so right about everything else, he was surely right about this, too, and so how could I go wrong, right? Wrong. Things could go wrong and they did go wrong, and now I live with the consequences every day.

Thanks for the response. Those doctors blaming sugar were doing you a grave disservice in my opinion...but I understand where you are coming from. I had some similar experiences when I first started Peating. I went nuts with the ice cream, orange juice, and milk. I gained weight, blood sugars went nuts, bad things happen.

Interestingly, and this is where we differ, I never blamed sugar. I always blamed my inability to deal with sugar. I had followed the opposite philosophy for years before being introduced to Peat: anti sugar, all veggies and meat, anti fun, anti life. I don't know if Peat ever said it directly, but he flipped that on its head for me. Burning sugar was life. Sugar was life.

So I cannot say I agree with you. I hear what you are saying, but I don't think sugar was your problem, I think you had a problem with sugar/life. When I listen to you talk about the Paleo for years, along with the reactive hypoglycemia...I think of course that stress interfered with sugar metabolism...how could it not? How could that not enter the equation in your mind?

You say sugar was not your friend, but to me it is obvious that denial was really the enemy, not the sugar. I have been in ketoacidosis before, not new to me. Blood sugar of 500? Those are amateur hour numbers. Get close to a 1000 and maybe you can get some respect. I never blamed the sugar though. Some surfer guy in hawaii can down the sugar I did and not be in KA, so it is my problem.

Why not go back to low carb paleo though?

Anyways, I feel for ya. Type 1 sucks, I have been dealing for almost 20 years now. I am sure we can agree on that.

managing

Thanks for the response. Those doctors blaming sugar were doing you a grave disservice in my opinion...but I understand where you are coming from. I had some similar experiences when I first started Peating. I went nuts with the ice cream, orange juice, and milk. I gained weight, blood sugars went nuts, bad things happen.

Interestingly, and this is where we differ, I never blamed sugar. I always blamed my inability to deal with sugar. I had followed the opposite philosophy for years before being introduced to Peat: anti sugar, all veggies and meat, anti fun, anti life. I don't know if Peat ever said it directly, but he flipped that on its head for me. Burning sugar was life. Sugar was life.

So I cannot say I agree with you. I hear what you are saying, but I don't think sugar was your problem, I think you had a problem with sugar/life. When I listen to you talk about the Paleo for years, along with the reactive hypoglycemia...I think of course that stress interfered with sugar metabolism...how could it not? How could that not enter the equation in your mind?

You say sugar was not your friend, but to me it is obvious that denial was really the enemy, not the sugar. I have been in ketoacidosis before, not new to me. Blood sugar of 500? Those are amateur hour numbers. Get close to a 1000 and maybe you can get some respect. I never blamed the sugar though. Some surfer guy in hawaii can down the sugar I did and not be in KA, so it is my problem.

Why not go back to low carb paleo though?

Anyways, I feel for ya. Type 1 sucks, I have been dealing for almost 20 years now. I am sure we can agree on that.
I think the thing that was lucky for me was that I still was wary of sugar when I discovered RP, and continued to be for some time. I brought sugar on very slowly. I believe this resensitized me slowly. Going from low carb to RP must be a shock to the system. There is a lot of speculation in this all of course, but it worked out for me.

@artemis you say RP convinced you to stop estrogen. When in the 5 mo progression toward T1D did you stop?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals