Darkness & Light & Madness

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Agreed, I don't post here that much, sporadically really, but R&Rs icon and threads in the listing always give a pleasing sense of familiarity!
Thank you Peatress, you are a forum staple too, fighting for the good of us all 😘

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Hyperventilation can cause muscle contraction. Panting causes a tendency for fingers and toes to cramp. Free intracellular calcium is the trigger for muscle contraction (and magnesium is an important factor in relaxation.) Capillary tone, similarly, is increased by hyperventilation, and relaxed by carbon dioxide. The muscle-relaxing effect of carbon dioxide shows that the binding of intracellular calcium is promoted by carbon dioxide, as well as by ATP. The binding of calcium in a way that makes it unable to interfere with cellular metabolism is, in a sense, a variant of simple extrusion of calcium, and the binding of calcium to extracellular materials. A relaxed muscle and a strong bone are characterized by bound calcium.
Activation of the sympathetic nervous system promotes hyperventilation. This means that hypothyroidism, with high adrenalin (resulting from a tendency toward hypoglycemia because of inefficient use of glucose and oxygen), predisposes to hyperventilation.

Muscle stiffness, muscle soreness and weakness, and osteoporosis all seem to be consequences of inadequate respiration, allowing lactic acid to be produced instead of carbon dioxide. Insomnia, hyperactivity, anxiety, and many chronic brain conditions also show evidence of defective respiration, for example, either slow consumption of glucose or the formation of lactic acid, both of which are common consequences of low thyroid function. Several studies (e.g., Jacono and Robertson, 1987) suggest that abnormal calcium regulation is involved in epilepsy. The combination of supplements of thyroid (emphasizing T3), magnesium, progesterone and pregnenolone can usually restore normal respiration, and it seems clear that this should normalize calcium metabolism, decreasing the calcification of soft tissues, increasing the calcification of bones, and improving the efficiency of muscles and nerves. (Magnesium, like carbonate, is a component of newly formed bone.) The avoidance of polyunsaturated vegetable oils is important for protecting respiration; some of the prostaglandins they produce have been implicated in osteoporosis, but more generally, they antagonize thyroid function and they can interfere with calcium control.” -Ray Peat

J.R.K

“Hyperventilation can cause muscle contraction. Panting causes a tendency for fingers and toes to cramp. Free intracellular calcium is the trigger for muscle contraction (and magnesium is an important factor in relaxation.) Capillary tone, similarly, is increased by hyperventilation, and relaxed by carbon dioxide. The muscle-relaxing effect of carbon dioxide shows that the binding of intracellular calcium is promoted by carbon dioxide, as well as by ATP. The binding of calcium in a way that makes it unable to interfere with cellular metabolism is, in a sense, a variant of simple extrusion of calcium, and the binding of calcium to extracellular materials. A relaxed muscle and a strong bone are characterized by bound calcium.
Activation of the sympathetic nervous system promotes hyperventilation. This means that hypothyroidism, with high adrenalin (resulting from a tendency toward hypoglycemia because of inefficient use of glucose and oxygen), predisposes to hyperventilation.

Muscle stiffness, muscle soreness and weakness, and osteoporosis all seem to be consequences of inadequate respiration, allowing lactic acid to be produced instead of carbon dioxide. Insomnia, hyperactivity, anxiety, and many chronic brain conditions also show evidence of defective respiration, for example, either slow consumption of glucose or the formation of lactic acid, both of which are common consequences of low thyroid function. Several studies (e.g., Jacono and Robertson, 1987) suggest that abnormal calcium regulation is involved in epilepsy. The combination of supplements of thyroid (emphasizing T3), magnesium, progesterone and pregnenolone can usually restore normal respiration, and it seems clear that this should normalize calcium metabolism, decreasing the calcification of soft tissues, increasing the calcification of bones, and improving the efficiency of muscles and nerves. (Magnesium, like carbonate, is a component of newly formed bone.) The avoidance of polyunsaturated vegetable oils is important for protecting respiration; some of the prostaglandins they produce have been implicated in osteoporosis, but more generally, they antagonize thyroid function and they can interfere with calcium control.” -Ray Peat
Thank you for posting this @ Rinse & rePeat this was an important piece that I had forgotten and applies to many people around me in terms of muscle pain and cramps.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Walking barefoot on grass, especially in the morning, helps rejuvenate your senses and calm your mind. The combination of fresh air, warm sunlight, green surroundings, and the peaceful morning atmosphere helps in many ways.

Fresh oxygen is good for your body’s organs, sunlight activates vitamin D synthesis, and the calm atmosphere helps relax your entire body and mind. These, in turn, help you feel relaxed and relieve stress.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In fact, the evidence accumulated so far suggests that avoiding the sun has the same cumulative risks for health as picking up a pack-a-day smoking habit! Furthermore, the overall risk of death was dramatically lower in the people with increased sun exposure, even in the ones that had sunlight-associated cancers. Considering the recent news that sunscreens applied topically result in systemic absorption of toxic ingredients that persist in the bloodstream for days, I think it becomes quite hard to make a case for sunlight avoidance or using "protection" in the form of sunscreen.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Darkness and hypothyroidism both reduce the activity of cytochrome oxidase, making cells more susceptible to stress. A promoter of excitotoxicity, ouabain, or a lack of salt, can function as the equivalent of darkness, in resetting the biological rhythms (Zatz, 1989, 1991).” -Ray Peat​

J.R.K

“In fact, the evidence accumulated so far suggests that avoiding the sun has the same cumulative risks for health as picking up a pack-a-day smoking habit! Furthermore, the overall risk of death was dramatically lower in the people with increased sun exposure, even in the ones that had sunlight-associated cancers. Considering the recent news that sunscreens applied topically result in systemic absorption of toxic ingredients that persist in the bloodstream for days, I think it becomes quite hard to make a case for sunlight avoidance or using "protection" in the form of sunscreen.“

Thank you for posting this here @Rinse & rePeat.
I was wondering if the percentage of skin exposure play a role in sunlight exposure benefits? Obviously for vitamin D production the more exposure the better, but some people who work outside are required to wear a uniform of some sort, but this reduces the percentage of exposed skin, thus the query of,” is just being in the sunlight able to provide the same benefits regardless of skin exposure percentage?”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for posting this here @Rinse & rePeat.
I was wondering if the percentage of skin exposure play a role in sunlight exposure benefits? Obviously for vitamin D production the more exposure the better, but some people who work outside are required to wear a uniform of some sort, but this reduces the percentage of exposed skin, thus the query of,” is just being in the sunlight able to provide the same benefits regardless of skin exposure percentage?”
I’m not thinking the vitamin D is the benefit here, not the light.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“This is why the study below is such a great find. It demonstrated that vitamin D deficiency reliably leads to dopaminergic deficiency, specifically in the brain, and that increasing vitamin D levels leads to increased dopamine synthesis. A prior study by the same authors demonstrated that vitamin D deficiency in childhood can reliably cause schizophrenia later on.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Experiments have shown that progesterone relieves anxiety, improves memory, protects brain cells, and even prevents epileptic seizures.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Excess stress (which can block progesterone synthesis and elevate estrogen) may bring on symptoms in someone who never had them. Spending a summer in Alaska, with an unusually long day, may relieve the symptoms of a chronic sufferer. Dark cloudy winters in England or the Pacific Northwest are powerful stressors, and cause lower production of progesterone in women, and testosterone in men. Toxins can produce similar symptoms, as can nutritional deficiencies. A very common cause of an estrogen excess is a dietary protein deficiency--the liver simply cannot detoxify estrogen when it is under-nourished.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Exercise lowers the level of thyroid hormones, partly by accelerating their breakdown. The stress of winter appears to do the same thing, and most people (and animals) need much more thyroid in the winter than they do in the summer. Exercise lowers human (and some animals’) fertility, and winter lowers animals’ fertility. I think human fertility, as indicated by sperm count, for example, is likely to be lower in winter.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On the other hand, studies have found a link between greater sun exposure and lower rates of allergies, asthma, and autoimmune disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, Type 1 diabetes, and rheumatoid arthritis. Researchers have even postulated that humanity’s move indoors and away from the sun could explain the exploding rates of autoimmune disease. Sunlight also affects the way people think and feel. Research has linked UV exposure to mood and well-being benefits, and to lower levels of depression."

"...But short of burning, he says he has no problem with people developing a tan — a position that would likely outrage many of his fellow dermatologists. “I think the benefits of [non-burning] sun exposure far outweigh the skin-cancer risks,” he says. “If you’re worried about aging, put sunscreen on your face and hands,” he says. “But the idea that we should get no UV at all — we should be debating this.”

Peater

I fired up my Redlightman (The square one with a central lens) and a 250W Osram Vitalux UV/heat lamp today. Feels good. Really good.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I fired up my Redlightman (The square one with a central lens) and a 250W Osram Vitalux UV/heat lamp today. Feels good. Really good.
Nice! I am heading outside soon for 20 minutes of grounding on my concrete in the early morning sun, it always feels good!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals