Death Rate From Alzheimer Disease (AD) Has Risen By 55% In Just 5 Years

yerrag

Well, thanks for appreciating my rant. Truly would love to hear of more sharing of us applying to our pets what we learn in this forum. I was reading about red light therapy on redlightman's blog on his site, and I thought how cool it is that we could share the use of red light therapy on our pets. My cats and perhaps koi certainly won't mind.

SQu, by all means, start a thread and we'll see where it goes!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What will happen when 30% of the population gets dementia ??

Peat said the Western world will reach a tipping point of getting too dumb from PUFA consumption to be able to bother the rest of the world. I don't know if the magic number for tipping point is 30%, but if 30%+ are obese and loaded with PUFA, we may have already reached the 30% having dementia.

J

jb116

The fungus may play a role but the evidence accrued so far points to AD being a diabetic condition of the brain.
Alzheimer Disease (AD) May Be Simply Diabetes Of The Brain
Yea I agree with that. It's akin to intestinal "bugs" accruing due to slow bowels/slow metabolism. You can use something in defense against them but slow metabolism is the root problem. The anti-fungals most likely helped against the effects of slow brain metabolism but doesn't address the root problem.

yerrag

I can't help but think of an episode in the hospital where my mom was admitted because she hasn't been eating for days. She was given parenteral nutrition in which purified soya oil was one of the ingredients. Shortly after she had the chills and the doctor gave her the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin since the doctor was trying to pre-empt pneumonia, as he associated chills to the occurrence of pneumonia. Bad decision. My mom eventually fell into a catatonic state.

Trying to connect the dots, I think what happened was that the soya oil caused her inability to oxidize glucose, leading to hyperglycemia, then the insulin reaction caused a low blood sugar situation, which was manifested by chills. The choice of Ciprofloxacin, which has excitotoxic effects, together with the diabetic condition caused by the soya oil, created a perfect storm. My mom's brain was excited strongly by the antibiotic, and the excitation used up energy, and since the diabetic condition caused the sugar supply to be used up, it left her nerves exhausted. Her nerve cells could have died, and her demented condition could have become permanent, and she would have ended up in a hospice.

But luckily I had read enough on Ray Peat and for the next ten days, she was fed like a pigeon would be fed with my food blend which had honey, whey, colostrum, gelatin, as well as calcium, magnesium, niacinamide, coconut oil, and Vitamin D3. It also helped she had IV infusion of b vitamins, and that her eletrolyte balance was being restored as well by our doctor.

That incident taught me to be very mindful of low blood sugar situations. The use of Ciprofloxacin over safer alternatives was already wrong, but the low blood condition really made her condition deteriorate to that extent. My mom never had blood sugar problems and I made sure she ate no PUFAs for a long time. But just the introduction of soya oil into her parenteral nutrition for 3 days straight was enough to turn her into a diabetic.

Goes to show how important maintaining a good blood sugar is. Not having the benefit of good blood sugar regulation really puts us at great risk of further complications. In a medical situation where prescription drugs are used, where side effects are the norm, not having a reliable source of sugar in our body can easily lead to these side effects becoming amplified to a crisis point.

L

lollipop

I can't help but think of an episode in the hospital where my mom was admitted because she hasn't been eating for days. She was given parenteral nutrition in which purified soya oil was one of the ingredients. Shortly after she had the chills and the doctor gave her the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin since the doctor was trying to pre-empt pneumonia, as he associated chills to the occurrence of pneumonia. Bad decision. My mom eventually fell into a catatonic state.

Trying to connect the dots, I think what happened was that the soya oil caused her inability to oxidize glucose, leading to hyperglycemia, then the insulin reaction caused a low blood sugar situation, which was manifested by chills. The choice of Ciprofloxacin, which has excitotoxic effects, together with the diabetic condition caused by the soya oil, created a perfect storm. My mom's brain was excited strongly by the antibiotic, and the excitation used up energy, and since the diabetic condition caused the sugar supply to be used up, it left her nerves exhausted. Her nerve cells could have died, and her demented condition could have become permanent, and she would have ended up in a hospice.

But luckily I had read enough on Ray Peat and for the next ten days, she was fed like a pigeon would be fed with my food blend which had honey, whey, colostrum, gelatin, as well as calcium, magnesium, niacinamide, coconut oil, and Vitamin D3. It also helped she had IV infusion of b vitamins, and that her eletrolyte balance was being restored as well by our doctor.

That incident taught me to be very mindful of low blood sugar situations. The use of Ciprofloxacin over safer alternatives was already wrong, but the low blood condition really made her condition deteriorate to that extent. My mom never had blood sugar problems and I made sure she ate no PUFAs for a long time. But just the introduction of soya oil into her parenteral nutrition for 3 days straight was enough to turn her into a diabetic.

Goes to show how important maintaining a good blood sugar is. Not having the benefit of good blood sugar regulation really puts us at great risk of further complications. In a medical situation where prescription drugs are used, where side effects are the norm, not having a reliable source of sugar in our body can easily lead to these side effects becoming amplified to a crisis point.
WoW...another amazing story @yerrag of how you applied Ray's ideas practically to stellar results. Good for you!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yea I agree with that. It's akin to intestinal "bugs" accruing due to slow bowels/slow metabolism. You can use something in defense against them but slow metabolism is the root problem. The anti-fungals most likely helped against the effects of slow brain metabolism but doesn't address the root problem.

You probably saw this already but liver disease is also related to fungus and slow metabolism.
Candida Overgrowth Is A Major Factor In (alcoholic) Liver Damage / Cirrhosis

Broda Barnes said that he never saw an alcoholic who was not also hypothyroid. So, yet again, low metabolism seems to be the root of all evil.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Nokoni

For any neurological disorder I'd consider including 5A-DHP in the treatment. 5AR declines with age, no doubt related to the metabolic decline discussed above. Less 5AR means less DHP, which means less allopregnanolone, which may very well mean compromised neurological function. In any neurological disorder there may well be other factors in play (such as direct metabolic effects), but ensuring healthful levels of allopregnanolone is likely to make whatever treatment more effective, assuming any other treatment was even necessary.

tara

How bad will things get before some big questions are asked? It already seems like everyone gets a form of cancer and everyone's parents or grandparent suffers from mental ailments. People are beginning to believe this is just a normal part of a terrible world.
Alice Walker wrote a lovely essay a few decades ago called 'Longing to die of old age'.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There is now a dementia tax in the UK.

You have to sell your home and assets to fund your social care

Scary times.

'Dementia tax' explained - what is the policy and what it means for YOU

Oh wow, this is just sad! I wonder if other chronic diseases will soon follow. Diabetes, kidney disease, etc. I think dementia is being selected for taxing because the government has basically given up on treating it. Given that all clinical trials for AD since 2001 failed, the governments are taking this to mean that dementia is probably incurable and cannot even be managed so it is shifting the cost back to the patient.

Lilac

Oh wow, this is just sad! I wonder if other chronic diseases will soon follow. Diabetes, kidney disease, etc. I think dementia is being selected for taxing because the government has basically given up on treating it. Given that all clinical trials for AD since 2001 failed, the governments are taking this to mean that dementia is probably incurable and cannot even be managed so it is shifting the cost back to the patient.

The older generation also has assets.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot for the past few days. Is there a degenerative disease that is not on the rise? Is there a human organ not tanking?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The older generation also has assets.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot for the past few days. Is there a degenerative disease that is not on the rise? Is there a human organ not tanking?

That's a good point. I don't know about all degenerative conditions but the neurodegenerative are all on the rise. Both dementia-type and motor-type (Parkinson, MS, ALS, etc).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals