Depression, Insomnia And Cyproheptadine

twinkle

Hi there,
I had a nervous breakdown last year and my sleep got totally screwed up from it.. I started taking Cypro which has helped with some of the insomnia but I still have to take ambien part of the month to get a decent night sleep.
I still struggle with appetite issues and the cypro has helped a little with that.. About 3 months ago I started to eat a lot more hoping that I might be able to get my cortisol and adrenaline under control but keeping it kinda peaty. I was doing pretty good the first 2 months but this last month has been a struggle and each day feel more and more depressed and weepy.. I have been taking 8mg of cypro every day for around 11 months now and wondering if that is affecting me .. I'm just concerned if stop taking it I will not be able to sleep. so feel like I'm stuck in a catch 22.. Does anyone have any suggestions around this I'm at a bit of a loss and money is not abundant so I'm feeling rather stuck...

@haidut

InChristAlone

Does anyone have any advice for twinkle??? I would also like to know if cypro is safe for long term use. Should twinkle check for raised liver enzymes?

docall18

Hi there,
I had a nervous breakdown last year and my sleep got totally screwed up from it.. I started taking Cypro which has helped with some of the insomnia but I still have to take ambien part of the month to get a decent night sleep.
I still struggle with appetite issues and the cypro has helped a little with that.. About 3 months ago I started to eat a lot more hoping that I might be able to get my cortisol and adrenaline under control but keeping it kinda peaty. I was doing pretty good the first 2 months but this last month has been a struggle and each day feel more and more depressed and weepy.. I have been taking 8mg of cypro every day for around 11 months now and wondering if that is affecting me .. I'm just concerned if stop taking it I will not be able to sleep. so feel like I'm stuck in a catch 22.. Does anyone have any suggestions around this I'm at a bit of a loss and money is not abundant so I'm feeling rather stuck...

@haidut

For a lot of mental issues tyrosine is important. Under stress this gets depleted, which is bad news as it is involved in production of brain catecholamines and thyroid.

It is excellent for depression and anxiety. However you have to take it with B6 (p5P if possible), and zinc to ensure it synthesizes into dopamine rather than adrenaline. I have used it and find it excellent.

I would stop the cypro. It is only a band aid and doesnt address any root issues. For me it reduces dopamine and makes me depressed and lethargic at doses of 1mg/day.

SQu

If it helps, I keep notes on things that may help depression and insomnia. My list for depression, (favourites I can vouch for come first): magnesium, p5p, altitude, theanine, cascara/pau d arco, methylene blue, taurine, progesterone, gelatin, tyrosine (a.m.), bcaas.
Insomnia: current favourite magnesium with t3, then progesterone, calcium, clonidine for night sweats and wakeups, racing thoughts, aspirin, gelatin, sugared salted milk for wakeups, theanine, taurine. Not sure, haven't tried or don't seem to work for me at the moment but others find helpful: vit a,k, carrot salad, b12, b3. Some can have the reverse effects, or shifting effects.

Peata

If you go off Cypro, I recommend doing a taper instead of stopping all at once.

I've taken it off and on over the last year and a half. The latest stretch, I've been on it for 4.5 months. I just tapered off this week. Have been taking some lysine instead.

You could try Natural Calm magnesium before bed.

Rahmon

Yep I agree, magnesium is huge. Natural calm is excellent. Taking it before bed will give you 200 mg, however you should also supplement around another 150 mg more throughout the day to get your minimum requirement. You'd be amazed at what getting your daily amount will do for you. I'd recommend you take a good B-vitamin complex with it as well as a good supply of timed released vitamin C throughout the day for support.

Start with that and see how you are feeling and from there you can add some other stuff.

Give that a try if you haven't tried anything and yes, taper off the Cypro...

DaveFoster

Don't take clonidine. For liver enzymes, anything below 16 mg/day should be fine. 8 mg/day should be very safe. Ray recommends therapeutic effects from 0.5-1 mg IIRC.

Improving thyroid function, glycogen storage, and lowering stress will improve your sleep.

Agent207

Natural Calm contains added citric acid, maybe not the best choice. I would opt for Magnesium glycinate much better.

For a lot of mental issues tyrosine is important. Under stress this gets depleted, which is bad news as it is involved in production of brain catecholamines and thyroid.

It is excellent for depression and anxiety. However you have to take it with B6 (p5P if possible), and zinc to ensure it synthesizes into dopamine rather than adrenaline. I have used it and find it excellent.

I would stop the cypro. It is only a band aid and doesnt address any root issues. For me it reduces dopamine and makes me depressed and lethargic at doses of 1mg/day.
Docall18, do you mean if taking tyrosine to take B6 with the tyrosine?

tara

I would like to give few simple tips to figt insomnia
maiantain a same time to wake up each day, keep at bay alcohol , stimulany=ts like nicotine , caffeine. Control your naps and exercise regularly. Avoid having food or drunk before going to bed. Sleep in aocmfortable environment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals