Dogs and milk

honeybee

My dog loves milk and any kind of dairy. He tolerates dairy well.
Any thoughts on feeding a 13 yo dog in relatively good health a dairy based diet?
I've tried cooking for him and also the best commercial dog foods but he eventually stops eating them.
He does have arthritis and is on rimadyl.

schultz

I imagine it's probably good for him. Dogs are omnivores, though I've never researched canine health and diets before since I've never owned a dog.

I have this barn cat who loves milk. He's kind of annoying and jumps on the milk stand while I'm milking to try and steal some milk. Sometimes I give him some but I am curious as to how well cats can handle milk? I am also curious about dogs if anyone has some experience to share?

Ray mentioned a friend of his who put sugar on his dogs food and it cured him of something or other. I wonder how good sugar milk would be for dogs? Probably better than that stuff they call "dog food".

Giraffe

schultz said:
post 101692 Ray mentioned a friend of his who put sugar on his dogs food and it cured him of something or other. I wonder how good sugar milk would be for dogs? Probably better than that stuff they call "dog food".
I remember that our dog once begged when I was drinking peppermint tea with lots of sugar. I poured the tea in his bowl to prove that he didn't like it. I was so wrong! He drank it greedily. I guess he needed the sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
honeybee

honeybee

I give him table sugar on his food and in his milk sometimes. He likes that. Also Popsicles are a fav- made with sugar of course.
I can't find any good info about dairy and dogs besides that it's bad. But my boy really likes it-much more than anything else he eats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals