Low Toxin Testimonials Don't look now! Another person who came off their thyroid medication.

TripleOG

That's interesting, did she share what dose and dosing schedule she used?
Someone asked this in the chat and her response:

“I don’t take nearly as much now as I did then. I wasn’t not on LYL then. I don’t need as much now - generally take 100 to 300 mg a day now”

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Very interesting thread here. Thank you all!
So, I struggle with thyroid, lowish body temperatures and bad digestion (offen very soft stools).
According to this thread I just need to take low dose Niacin (flush version) with every meal, right?
I have small 100mg Niacin tablets. Would 100mg Niacin for every meal be OK?
Do I need to increase Niacin? Or is low dose (300-500mg Niacin divided over the meals) enough to restore thyroid/temps/good digestion with solid stools?
Do I need to flush or do I need to avoid the flush? Or is flushing/not flushing not important?

Thank you all so much!!!

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Very interesting thread here. Thank you all!
So, I struggle with thyroid, lowish body temperatures and bad digestion (offen very soft stools).
According to this thread I just need to take low dose Niacin (flush version) with every meal, right?
I have small 100mg Niacin tablets. Would 100mg Niacin for every meal be OK?
Do I need to increase Niacin? Or is low dose (300-500mg Niacin divided over the meals) enough to restore thyroid/temps/good digestion with solid stools?
Do I need to flush or do I need to avoid the flush? Or is flushing/not flushing not important?

Thank you all so much!!!

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Thank you, much appreciated! :)

brongfogboy

Someone asked this in the chat and her response:

“I don’t take nearly as much now as I did then. I wasn’t not on LYL then. I don’t need as much now - generally take 100 to 300 mg a day now”
Thanks for the help, can you tell me what chat this is that she's in? I think we should find out her dosing schedule she used leading up to the improvement of her thyroid, sounds like she's telling us the dosing she used after it was improved unless I'm mistaken.

RealNeat

Niacin supports lowering of lactate and favors carb metabolism by blocking FFA, (before the rebound that happens at high doses) therefore it helps increase both thyroid hormone sensitivity and glucose in cells by preventing fat (PUFA or Sat) to compete with glucose and thyroid in the bloodstream (also slowly improves the composition of cardiolipin and so called cellular membranes). Plus increases NAD+, both nicotinic acid and niacinamide.

Ray has said this since day 1, Im not understanding why this is considered brand new news?

mosaic01

Ray has said this since day 1, Im not understanding why this is considered brand new news?

Ray Peat considered nicotinic acid toxic, per his own words, and favored nicotinamide - which is actually a waste-product of niacin metabolism and relatively toxic to the liver. It does not have most of the benefits of niacin.

RealNeat

Ray Peat considered nicotinic acid toxic, per his own words, and favored nicotinamide - which is actually a waste-product of niacin metabolism and relatively toxic to the liver. It does not have most of the benefits of niacin.
I am talking about Rays view of the mechanisms by which niacin can assist the thyroid which NA and amide form can both do to an extent. Niacinamide has all the benefits mentioned above without the histamine, serotonin and prostaglandins.

mosaic01

I am talking about Rays view of the mechanisms by which niacin can assist the thyroid which NA and amide form can both do to an extent. Niacinamide has all the benefits mentioned above without the histamine, serotonin and prostaglandins.

Nicotinic acid (niacin) is healing and regenerative, while nicotinamide merely suppresses symptoms. This is what people experience. The healing effect does not seem to come merely from suppressing free fatty acids, as Peat thought, but apparently it comes from boosting phase 2 liver detoxification and initating repair due to the flush.

I took both high dose niacin and niacinamide. The two substances are not comparable at all in their effects, except when it comes to lowering free fatty acids and adrenaline.

RealNeat

Nicotinic acid (niacin) is healing and regenerative, while nicotinamide merely suppresses symptoms. This is what people experience. The healing effect does not seem to come merely from suppressing free fatty acids, as Peat thought, but apparently it comes from boosting phase 2 liver detoxification and initating repair due to the flush.

I took both high dose niacin and niacinamide. The two substances are not comparable at all in their effects, except when it comes to lowering free fatty acids and adrenaline.
there are a million other compounds that assist phase 2 and sometimes "boosting" detox phases isnt a good thing also I experience adrenaline from NA and the flush merely has the same benefits as exercise, so just getting your HR rate up a bit or going into a sauna can mimic the same thing. Why do I state alternatives? Because NA has toxicity as has been made clear through people using it to control their lipids. What dose, frequency and context does the niacinamide cause toxicity? Ray encouraged 50mg a few times a day with a meal, find me toxicity at those doses that trumps the benefits.

I dont play the "it masks symptoms" game, as almost anything can fit that argument. Sometimes we need things to get through a phase or make better a situation until we address the root cause, regardless once your goals are achieved one can resume food only nutrition. I can say niacin is a crutch or symptom masker too, the body should be able to function just fine without supp Niacin.

Last edited:

mosaic01

Because NA has toxicity as has been made clear through people using it to control their lipids. What dose, frequency and context does the niacinamide cause toxicity? Ray encouraged 50mg a few times a day with a meal, find me toxicity at those doses that trumps the benefits.

I dont play the "it masks symptoms" game, as almost anything can fit that argument. Sometimes we need things to get through a phase or make better a situation until we address the root cause, regardless once your goals are achieved one can resume food only nutrition. I can say niacin is a crutch or symptom masker too, the body should be able to function just fine without supp Niacin.

Many roads lead to Rome, as always.

I don't think everyone needs to take it to get healthy. All supplements come with risks. Niacin is very safe, some of Hoffer's patients took 100g of it every day without any liver issues. It can increase liver enzymes slightly, and betaine should help in those cases. But it is not toxic to the liver per se, like niacinamide.

Everything beyond 4.5g niacinamide per day causes massive toxicity symptoms in almost everyone, like nausea and throwing up. That's why Abram Hoffer never used more than 4.5g niacinamide per day in any patient.

Niacinamide really only controls symptoms temporarily, by blocking phase-1 (thus fewer toxins reach the liver), suppressing adrenaline (via lowering FFA), and thus inflammation and pain. It works for a couple hours or days, and then everything comes back.

Suppressing phase-1 can be therapeutic temporarily. Boosting phase-2 is usually the better strategy, when a good diet is in place.

50mg of niacinamide is hardly toxic. But there's also no point in taking it over niacin, except maybe when someone doesn't tolerate niacin at all and needs some NAD boost.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals