DYI Andrew's liver salts // substitute for citric acid?

Hi,

so my husband has been taking a teaspoon of Andrew's liver salts in water every night as it has been really helping with his IBS / constipation the following morning.

Andrews Original Salts, Stomach & Constipation Relief for Adults, 150 g (Pack of 1)
Amazon.co.uk

It's an effervescent powder containing the active ingredients Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate 22.6% w/w, Citric Acid 19.5% w/w and Magnesium Sulfate 17.4% w/w. Also contains 2.1g sucrose per 5ml spoonful.
The ingredients aren't 100% due to the citric acid but for the time being, it was just a relief for him giving him a bit of his life back so no arguments there.

Now, they're discontinuing it and we're down to our last container. For lack of better alternatives, I googled how to make your own version and found a tutorial on Youtube:

View: https://youtu.be/ys0UCI-M52s?si=9jhmADkaqpC9IDaa

Literally using 20g bicarbonate soda, 20g citric acid powder and 20g magnesium sulphate powder which is epsom salt, and a bit of powdered sugar to bring it to 100g. Easy peasy.

BUT

The citric acid 💀

Far as I know the only reason it's in there is to make it fizz when added to water. I could probably just leave it out and it would have the same if not a better effect on soothing his digestive problems since citric acid is probably causing more harm than good. I think the benefit for him is mainly due to the bicarb and magnesium, fizz has nothing to do with it imho.

OR, I could swap citric acid for cream of tartar, which would make it fizz but might irritate his gut in a different way as he's not used to it.

Thoughts?

GTW

The citric acid reacts with bicarbonate to form citrate. Your stomach\digestion does not respond to citrate as citric acid. Citrate metabolism yields bicarbonate in the body then excreted in the urine, alkaline.
I would suggest replace part of the sodium bicarb with potassium bicarbonate, maybe 1\3.

OP
M
The citric acid reacts with bicarbonate to form citrate. Your stomach\digestion does not respond to citrate as citric acid. Citrate metabolism yields bicarbonate in the body then excreted in the urine, alkaline.
I would suggest replace part of the sodium bicarb with potassium bicarbonate, maybe 1\3.
Awesome thanks!

Ras

The most effective ingredient in this product is likely the magnesium sulfate. I'd try that alone, in comparison. If it isn't as effective, I'd add potassium citrate, as this will contribute to systemic alkalinity and improve his zeta potential, while acting in a similar fashion to the sodium citrate you're making when you hydrate that product.

If the fizz is necessary, use ascorbic acid for your low pH ingredient, and sodium or potassium bicarbonate for your high pH ingredient.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom