EFA “deficiency” In Real Life

Elephanto

Only on RPF will people not raise a brow at someone wondering why he has skin issues after mentioning that his diet consists of milk and "a ton of refined sugar", and everyone coming to the only possible conclusion that it must be from the lack of dietary fat. It just made me smile, the world is strange when each person has his own truth.

Kartoffel

Don’t they eat plenty of fish?

Not a lot. The Kitava eat very little protein, and the tropical fish they eat is likely to be lower in PUFA than "healthy" DHA fish like salmon, etc. Almost all their fats comes from coconuts.

benaoao

Indeed, it seems they get no more than 4g of fish fat according to some reports. Which is probably not any different than other populations that only get their PUFAs from game - so, small doses, and definitely more 0m3

KennethKaniff

You're not EFA deficient with all that orange juice and skim milk. OJ contains about 0.1g PUFA per cup and skim milk contains residual milkfat that has some PUFA.

You are most likely vitamin and mineral deficient on the OJ and milk diet. In particular, you are probably not getting enough niacin, b6, magnesium, manganese, or zinc.

tara

And for those asking me about my diet it’s oj skim milk gelatin and a ton of refined white sugar.
I'd expect that there's a possibility of various deficiencies developing when a large portion if the diet is refined sucrose.

benaoao

I’m interested in the olive oil improving glucuronidation- would you have a source? Couldn’t quite pull up anything convincing. I’m sorry I hate to be that guy but I’m usually good at PubMed’ing...

I’m a very low fat guy +MCT oil. Olive oil could be a nice alternative.

T

tca300

Thanks, how come you don't want dairy fat?
It seems like saturated fat is behind all my issues of the past 6 or so months. Its making me allergic to everything, and causing neropathy that is ruining my life. Keeping me from being able to even pick up my children.
I thought this study was nonsense, but after replacing dairy fat with olive oil and or macadamia nuts all my symptoms are dramatically going away, and its only been 6 days.
Saturated fatty acids promote allergic (Th2) cytokine responses by activation of unfolded protein response (UPR) and ER stress

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

That shows there's some, but the granularity being what it is, not necessarily terribly accurate.
It seems like saturated fat is behind all my issues of the past 6 or so months. Its making me allergic to everything, and causing neropathy that is ruining my life. Keeping me from being able to even pick up my children.
I thought this study was nonsense, but after replacing dairy fat with olive oil and or macadamia nuts all my symptoms are dramatically going away, and its only been 6 days.
Saturated fatty acids promote allergic (Th2) cytokine responses by activation of unfolded protein response (UPR) and ER stress
I love butter, but I seem to do better with the fat from beef and lamb. Not that I go out of my way to eat loads of it, just what comes with the meat. I suspect allergy or intolerance to the dairy, though not as strong as to milk or cheese.

raypeatclips

Wow fair enough! Glad you are feeling better.

Mito

Can you do skim milk?

T

tca300

Can you do skim milk?
Yes, thats where most my of my calories come from. Starting today, I'm replacing olive oil with macadamia nuts exclusively though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, thats where most my of my calories come from. Starting today, I'm replacing olive oil with macadamia nuts exclusively though.
I'm interested in how this works out for you. If you don't mind me asking what prompted you to make this change?

T

tca300

I'm interested in how this works out for you. If you don't mind me asking what prompted you to make this change?
If you mean the change from olive oil to macadamia nuts, mostly to keep PUFA low, but also convenience, taste, and they provide some extra nutrition. Olive oil is basically empty calories except for small amounts of k and e.

benaoao

it seems to me that getting some ALA while reducing Arachidonic Acid among all PUFAs is key. As of myself I get barely 1g of PUFAs per day from extra lean beef and white fish (half AA quarter DHA quarter EPA I guess), and 5-10g of plant PUFAs from seeds (chia, buckwheat) and I don't stress those.

Kartoffel

it seems to me that getting some ALA while reducing Arachidonic Acid among all PUFAs is key

Why? ALA conversion to DHA is minimal, and the isoprostanes formed from DHA are much more destructive than those made from AA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals