Enhance Topical Absorption With Dermaroller

Tzheng2012

Just wanted to share:

“The technique of microneedling has been well-exploited to increase penetration of drugs across the skin barrier. This has been proven in in-vitro skin models where enhanced absorption of larger molecules such as calcein has been observed.[62,63] Microneedles cover a range of activity between that of a transdermal patch and a hypodermic needle attempting to gain the advantages of both and eliminate the disadvantages of each one of them. Microneedling has been used for the transdermal delivery of various types of drugs including macromolecular biopharmaceuticals such as insulin, growth hormone, heparin, and albumin; immunobiologicals such as hepatitis B, tetanus toxoid, and influenza vaccines; proteins, peptides and drugs such as aspirin, minoxidil, tretinoin, and L-ascorbic acid.[21,64,65] Microneedling has also been combined with other advanced techniques such as micropumps, sonophoresis, iontophoresis, and electroporation for better drug penetration.[21]”
Microneedling: Advances and widening horizons

So a dermaroller could be a nice tool to use before applying your topicals. There was a a comment in this thread Transdermal/Topicals: Best Practices? that said scratching the surface with a rotating brush for 60 seconds could increase penetration up to 100x. So this is just another option, perhaps more effective way to do it.

RP said - “The legs, inner arms, tops of feet, and throat are good places for transdermal absorption.”

There are different lengths of needles for different thickness of skin. Up to 0.5mm is virtually painless. I know for increasing topicals on the face 0.25mm can be used everyday, so 0.25mm would probably be good for thin areas like tops of feet and neck (avoid adams apple). 0.20-0.25mm would also be good for the hair line for hair restoration products (i think a lot of people would be interested in this one :D). Thicker areas like legs or arms could use probably use up to 2mm. I know for improving wrinkles or acne scars on the face people use up to 2mm, but it should only be done once every month for allowing time to heal. But if were using it on thick areas like the legs and arms, i think 1mm-1.5mm (or greater) would be ok for everyday use. If it does cause bleeding then just try a shorter needle, or just rotate areas of application.

Theres a lot of them on ebay. Depending on frequency of use you may need to replace every few months, but it depends. Just make sure to check the needles and see if any are bent, then you know its time to replace. Or if your savvy enough you can try to just pull that single needle out.

OP
T

Tzheng2012

Huh thats interesting. It kinda reminds me how a lot of pain balms like tiger balm all have camphor in it. I wonder if part of the reason is to enhance penetration.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals