Glycine Experience

stressucks

I've been trying glycine lately. Noticing several positive benefits:
  • easier to sleep after exercise
  • Energy boost
  • alleviation of depression type feelings

I usually take 2g at a time. May try to up the dose to see if its even better.

griesburner

i have tried it a few times in small doses because there are so many studies showing huge benefits in theory and i had the feeling that it cooled some of my joint inflammations immediately like nothing else. But everytime i took it i had a very strange feeling in my head that i cant describe and a slight panic feeling and couldnt relax. And i found this:

Glycine causes increased excitability and neurotoxicity by activation of NMDA receptors in the hippocampus. - PubMed - NCBI

I would love to take glycine again but does anyone has an idea what to do to counteract the nmda activation?

sladerunner69

i have tried it a few times in small doses because there are so many studies showing huge benefits in theory and i had the feeling that it cooled some of my joint inflammations immediately like nothing else. But everytime i took it i had a very strange feeling in my head that i cant describe and a slight panic feeling and couldnt relax. And i found this:

Glycine causes increased excitability and neurotoxicity by activation of NMDA receptors in the hippocampus. - PubMed - NCBI

I would love to take glycine again but does anyone has an idea what to do to counteract the nmda activation?

I experience anxiety, sometimes as well and find it difficult to relax. I am not sure if that is glycine related, although I do take some before bed and in the morning. I drink a lot of coffee as well.

I have heard concerns that gelatin and glycine are excitotoxic and have not really seen these concerns addresses on here either.

Frankdee20

If I take too much magnesium glycinate during the day, I experience a stoned feeling likely from Glycine. It’s weird, but not bad.

Kartoffel

I have heard concerns that gelatin and glycine are excitotoxic and have not really seen these concerns addresses on here either.

Why should they be adressed, if there is no evidence for these concerns to begin with?

griesburner

The excitotoxic effects were shown in very high concentrations of glycine in-vitro which I dont think you get from normal supplementation.

okay but what could be the reason someone does observe adverse effects like panic or anxiety? Or do you think it could be placebo? Maybe i will try again.

x-ray peat

okay but what could be the reason someone does observe adverse effects like panic or anxiety? Or do you think it could be placebo? Maybe i will try again.
you may be sensitive to it for some reason. If it doesnt work for you then I would try other things. Seems like sladerunner also experiences the same effect. To me its very relaxing

Kartoffel

I have never met anyone that mentioned anything other than a relaxing/quieting effect from glycine, and I don't see any physiological basis for glycine causing this, if taken in normal amounts. Maybe it's caused by impurities of a specific product. Have you tried different glycine powders?

griesburner

Maybe it's caused by impurities of a specific product. Have you tried different glycine powders?

yes i have tried two different brands and had the exact same reaction. its very subtle and as i am very sensitive to anything going on in my body it could have been placebo but i thought it could have something to do with the activation of the NMDA receptor? But if you all agree that it could only be an agonist of this receptor in very high dosages then it was probably placebo.

Wagner83

I'm pretty sure I'm getting some odd anxiety and disturbed sleep from it, perhaps I need a bit more sugar before bed as suggested here Glycine Wake-up After 4 Hours but the anxiety feels weird, like I'm tensed and can't relax. At first it was the opposite so maybe there was some downregulation over the course of a few days or something else like a greater need for food. The effects on tissues are still present and great.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals