Haidut Mails Discussion/comments Thread

OP
W

Wagner83

@theLaw This is great! Thanks for posting his replies. After a year or so of Peating, I had one or two quick bouts of high fever along with diarrhea (iirc). I thought that possibly my body was getting rid of something that I wasn’t able to dispose of with a lower metabolism? It was unlike any virus/bug I have ever had and no one else in my family caught it.

It doesn't get "misrepresented" and there is not "such a disparity." Why do you assume people can't comprehend his diet? Here's a reminder:

Ironically, it's his statements on things like greens, potatoes, vegetables, sucrose, dairy fat that are the things that get misrepresented.

Also, from September 2014:

1. sprinter - I would love to hear everything Ray Peat consumes for one week. Including all food and supplements. 10 days would be even better.

Ray Peat - The details vary slightly according to what's available. Daily, milk, fruit (mainly orange juice), eggs, butter, cheese, and coffee. As available, liver, shrimp, squid, oysters, cod, sole, ox-tail soup, chicharrones (puffed pork rind), sapotas, pawpaws, cherimoyas, guanabanas, guavas, carrots, bamboo shoots, small turnips, corundas.

20 Questions With Ray Peat

Also, almost every person finds Peat through Danny Roddy. Roddy is the only person who actually eats the true Peat diet, outside of the 1 or 2 times I've seen him post a milk that was higher than 1% fat. So in fact, people do try the true Peat diet first most of the time.

Thank you for posting these @theLaw very useful.

Question for @haidut. You mention a very achievable and sustainable diet in an email above.

"The diet does not really have to be very restrictive if it is similar both in origin and type to what say your grandparents ate. Eggs, milk, cheese, organ meats, occasional meat, gelatinous soups, slow-raised bread, well-cooked potatoes and rice, etc and the almost complete absence of vegetable oils is probably good enough for most people."

I wondered about your thoughts on endotoxin. You post many threads talking about the negative effects of endotoxin and the damage they do, leading to issues later down the line. This diet doesn't sound too different to what many normal people do. What would you recommend to combat endotoxin on a daily basis? If anything? Thanks

I my experience, the typical Western diet is not at all similar to the one above. Most people these days would consume mostly meat and starchy carbs from industrially produced buns (i.e. sandwiches, burgers, wraps, etc), and all of it soaked in PUFA. The "healthier" diets recommended lately are not any better as they replace those starchy carbs with the resistant carbs that are even better food for gut bacteria. That's why I said slow-raised bread, and well-cooked potatoes and rice as that is what people about 100 years ago would eat as carbs most of the time. I don't know a single person around me in the US who eats organ meats. Most stay away from eggs like poison due to cholesterol fears. So, I think our modern diet has some very little similarity to what our grandparents consumed.
Now, even that diet has its drawback so please do not quote me as saying it is Peat-y. I am saying that for me eating this type of diet is a good trade-off between health and orthorexia, subject to time constraints as well. Sicker people probably need to be more mindful of what they are eating and this diet may not suit them. Then again, a sicker person spending a ton of time seeking for optimal food is probably not going to help much either. So, everybody will have to make some suboptimal choices due to time/energy constraints. Being mindful of what you are doing and choosing wisely from available options is probably more important than chasing a perfect meal every time.

Thanks for the reply. When you talk about organ meats that are beneficial and that you eat, do you mean anything other than liver?

But you've said that they cause fat gain, endotoxin, persorbtion etc. and that you don't eat any starch. Are you conceding that you were wrong?

I eat kidneys, hearts, gizzard, brain, tongue, bone marrow and some other lesser known organs when I go to Europe as these are widely consumed foods (at least in the Balkans).

OP
W

Wagner83

caliwom

Haidut, I just listened to your Patreon stream with Danny Roddy. I really enjoyed it! Thank you!

OP
W

Wagner83

For anyone who missed it last night, Danny and Georgi went for nearly 2hrs on a variety of different subjects...........and you got to see Georgi himself.

Definitely worth the Patreon donation.

Cheers!:D
It was a nice show. I had a hard time viewing the video as it "failed partway" very often, it may be my own internet connection which isn't anywhere near optimal. The innocent eye would probably wonder why Georgi is giving health advice and is answering questions on hair loss lol.
It's a bit of a shame that Danny Roddy had to resort to aiming a mortar straight at haidut's face to have join him the show.

Last edited:

Dhair

It was a nice show. I had a hard time viewing the video as it "failed partway" very often, it may be my own internet connection which isn't anywhere near optimal. The innocent eye would probably wonder why Georgi is giving health advice and is answering questions on hair loss lol.
It's a bit of a shame that Danny Roddy had to resort to aiming a mortar straight at haidut's face to have join him the show.
We can always pick apart how someone looks. Many people come here and try to tell us that Ray Peat looks terrible. Haidut looks like a happy, warm person IMO.
EDIT: When he stands up, you can clearly see that his is quite muscular. The camera is at an unflattering angle.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Is it behind the paywall?

DaveFoster

OP
W

Wagner83

We can always pick apart how someone looks. Many people come here and try to tell us that Ray Peat looks terrible. Haidut looks like a happy, warm person IMO.
That's part of what I mean, people have criticized Macdougall and Ray for their appearances while other young guys on steroids get a lot of attention because they look great. There's still a few questions I'd like to ask haidut though, for those who are curious he has already explained his hair loss in the mail thread. Mark Sisson is an other one who looks good, I and Jsaute look we're doing good but that doesn't mean we're doing great, still, appearance is part of health, if you are in terminal cancer we can see it.
I guess this is a joke which I only half get but the second one isn't haidut me thinks.

theLaw

I had the exact same thought about the hair-loss, but mainly because I don't remember seeing him mention it here (although you stated in another post that he does reference it somewhere here, so I may have missed it).

Update: Here's Georgi's email

I lost a lot of hair over the course of a very short period (maybe 6 months or so) around 2008/2009 when I was at the height of my Paleo days. Since they I regrew at least 50% of it, so I went from almost bald to having a "receding hairline" as the dermatologist I saw called it. The period of most intense hair loss coincided almost perfectly with the period of high cortisol/prolactin/estrogen measured on blood tests, which have since normalized. To me there is no doubt that these hormones cause hair loss, the only disconnect I see with Peat is to what degree this can be reversed. The only person I know of who lost all his hair in a typical MPB pattern and got it ALL back was a mountain climber I knew back in college. He went almost completely bald in his mid-twenties and went to live with a community in the Tian-Shen mountains. I saw him maybe 5 years later and his hair had come back completely. He told me he would never go back to the modern world and there are things he could "feel" in the air, "taste" in the food and "see" around us that he could never explain but were obvious to people who lived in the wild. He said even one of those "things" was enough to cause serious health issues over time. He studied Selye as well and said once the "stress syndrome" starts it can be stopped but not reversed in the modern world we live in. That world is engineered AND optimized for stress and he thought he needed a complete reset to recover. He did seem to recover his hair fully and it did look real (no surgery or fake implants). And he went back to the mountains and seems to not have any interest in coming back. Maybe it is the CO2, maybe it is the freedom he enjoys there. But the difference in how he looked, not just because of hair regrowth, was striking. I don't think I could pull off leaving the civilized world for good, but every once in a while I wonder if there is any point in doing a more extended "reset" like him. Peat keeps going to Mexico and cuts off the world completely for months. There must be a reason for that. He also said a few times that changing places/experiences in a dramatic fashion can change things for good for people who do not respond to anything else.

Having said that, I'm now more interested in what Georgi hasn't tried for regrowing his hair as a possible solution. He's pretty fast and loose with the dietary guidelines, works indoors, lives in a major city, doesn't take direct Co2, etc. Other than the hair and some grey in the beard, he actually appears very healthy.

Also, Georgi appears to use metrics/crowd-sourcing to back up his claims, which is significantly better than just experimentation, so I don't see him giving that advise personally, but more based on the research.

It's still odd to hear a guy with hair-loss give advise on hair-loss.

Last edited:

Lee Simeon

I had the exact same thought about the hair-loss, but mainly because I don't remember seeing him mention it here (although you stated in another post that he does reference it somewhere here, so I may have missed it).

Having said that, I'm now more interested in what Georgi hasn't tried for regrowing his hair as a possible solution. He's pretty fast and loose with the dietary guidelines, works indoors, lives in a major city, doesn't take direct Co2, etc. Other than the hair and some grey in the beard, he actually appears very healthy.

Also, Georgi appears to use metrics/crowd-sourcing to back up his claims, which is significantly better than just experimentation, so I don't see him giving that advise personally, but more based on the research.

Is it possible to watch the pateron-video in twice the speed like youtube?

OP
W

Wagner83

Is it possible to watch the pateron-video in twice the speed like youtube?
Yes it is possible, oddly enough if you play it three times faster it translates it into a Spanish radio podcast.
Can you post a link to this?
thelaw already posted the quote above but here it is:
Haidut Email Advice Depository
I think that's one of the reason why it would be nice to just have the mails on the other thread, or at least have a bolded title when the members post a mail so that we can identify it quicker (although in that case it didn't seem to work at all :D).

That's what I meant, I think it's quality visual humor, a nice contrast.
More thoughts on hair loss and greying of hair and beard: Haidut Email Advice Depository

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals