Has anyone here been able to get their teeth scaled without getting x-rays?

UpUpAndAway

I have some tartar build-up along/under my gumline that I think has been causing my gums to be red and inflamed for quite a while. I ordered a dental scaler and tried using it but it wasn't that effective and frankly I don't think I have the skill necessary to adequately scale along the gumline. But when I try scheduling a cleaning at a dentist's office they say that I need to have a full set of 18 x-rays done before they will even consider allowing me to see a hygenist. I've made calls to dozens of dentists at this point and they all have the same response. Wondering if anyone here has been faced with a similar conundrum or if there are any alternative solutions.

mostlylurking

I have some tartar build-up along/under my gumline that I think has been causing my gums to be red and inflamed for quite a while. I ordered a dental scaler and tried using it but it wasn't that effective and frankly I don't think I have the skill necessary to adequately scale along the gumline. But when I try scheduling a cleaning at a dentist's office they say that I need to have a full set of 18 x-rays done before they will even consider allowing me to see a hygenist. I've made calls to dozens of dentists at this point and they all have the same response. Wondering if anyone here has been faced with a similar conundrum or if there are any alternative solutions.
I'm in Texas. Every time I go to the dentist they ask me to get the xrays. I always decline. They have a form they ask me to sign and they put it in my file. They have never declined to work on my teeth. I get the feeling that it's some kind of requirement from whoever inspects dentists that they need proof that they offered the xrays and the patient declined them. But of course, I could be wrong. It may be that they want the signed form to prove in court that I declined the xrays in case I sue them for malpractice someday. I dunno.

OP
U

UpUpAndAway

I'm in Texas. Every time I go to the dentist they ask me to get the xrays. I always decline. They have a form they ask me to sign and they put it in my file. They have never declined to work on my teeth. I get the feeling that it's some kind of requirement from whoever inspects dentists that they need proof that they offered the xrays and the patient declined them. But of course, I could be wrong. It may be that they want the signed form to prove in court that I declined the xrays in case I sue them for malpractice someday. I dunno.
Yeah, I offered to sign a waiver on the calls I made but they wouldn't accept that. I'm in New York so that probably has something to do with it.

Mad

I think when you call the front desk those people are giving the super strictest authoritarian info. But if you just make an appt for a cleaning, go there and when they mention X-rays just say no thanks I’m not planning on that today. Hey if you’re female you could say you might be pregnant ha. Either way, I’m sure they’re not going to kick you out of the chair. They’ll just do the cleaning. I’ve declined many times and it’s no big deal. I’m in North Carolina btw. Could say you can’t afford it right now but you’ll try next time. Whatever you want to say, I think it would be no big deal at all. (I had the same encounter with front desk people when I called around looking for a pediatrician for my kids who are not receiving vaccines. Every front desk lady was very authoritarian about their vaccine requirement policies, and yet for some of these doctors I had friends or family who I know go there and just decline the vaccines during the appts with no problems. Yet the front desk ladies seemed to think this was absurd when I insisted that this was the truth and would not let me make an appt. So lesson learned is just make the appt and show up and decline what you don’t want. They’re not going to tie you down in a chair and force you. At worst you wasted your time with that doctor and will have to try another.)

Osukhan

I wont work on any of my patients without xrays, at least an initial series of films. Too many issues will go unnoticed and as a dentist there is no reason to take on the liability. An xray takes 5 seconds.

Phaedrus

Every dental practice is different, but in the US a lot of dentists have a policy that requires patients to have up to date X-rays taken. That may be part of a consent form you sign and agree to as a new patient. Some may allow you to sign a waiver to refuse them. At least in the US, it’s a malpractice concern due to how easy it is to get sued. If someone gets a fatal tooth infection that could have been preemptively addressed from X-ray images, they don’t want to be held legally liable - especially since X-rays are recommended by the American Dental Association, so dentists do not want to be seen as deviating from those professional standards in a court of law.

Patients can obviously refuse X-rays, but dentists can then refuse dental treatments (unless it is life threatening).

Not saying I agree with it, but that’s the reality.

Osukhan

Is this a joke?
not at all, i see so many patients who have neglected their teeth, come in and say they just have a little cavity here... turns out to be horrible and usually there are multiple spots... an xray is an absolute must , the detail is unreal why guess, provides proof to the patient when they are hesitant. An initial xray very important to establish a baseline, now if that person didnt show any issues then i can easily get on board with no xrays for their follow ups

Peatress

not at all, i see so many patients who have neglected their teeth, come in and say they just have a little cavity here... turns out to be horrible and usually there are multiple spots... an xray is an absolute must , the detail is unreal why guess, provides proof to the patient when they are hesitant. An initial xray very important to establish a baseline, now if that person didnt show any issues then i can easily get on board with no xrays for their follow ups
Thanks for the explanation.

mostlylurking

since X-rays are recommended by the American Dental Association, so dentists do not want to be seen as deviating from those professional standards in a court of law.
That's the same association that still says mercury amalgams are A-OKAY! So much for "professional standards"....

supercoolguy

Yeah, I offered to sign a waiver on the calls I made but they wouldn't accept that. I'm in New York so that probably has something to do with it.
They call it "Standard of Care" I call it Something Else.

I have had places in MN with Opt-Out options. However that same place required it for root work.
When I agreed for one x-ray, the novice technician proceeded to have a anxiety attack, pressing the thumb trigger 5-6 times.
WHY? Because She fkd-up the first 2.

This is why I no longer see dentist.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals