High Carb Low Fat Diet Lead To Low Levels Of Coronary Artery Disease

zztr

Tsimane Fieldsite in Bolivia

Average life expectancy at birth was 43 years between 1950-89 and increased to about 50 during the period 1990-2002. Half the population is under 15 years of age.​

They drop dead at 50, but at least they have clean hearts...

OP
Mito

Mito

Tsimane Fieldsite in Bolivia

Average life expectancy at birth was 43 years between 1950-89 and increased to about 50 during the period 1990-2002. Half the population is under 15 years of age.​

They drop dead at 50, but at least they have clean hearts...
From the study... "Individuals ranged between 40 years and 94 years of age. We focused our efforts on individuals older than 60 years."

Kurt808

When will people learn that "average" doesn't mean anything. Maybe the information most are looking for is the median - and that does provide good information.

Kray

Thank you for the greater insight. I have greatly reduced by using 2% milk. Can't go with skim atm... I also reduced a lot by reducing quantity of fat used when cooking. Rather than not using butter, I use like 1/8 of what I used before. Flavor is there but so much less fat.

I agree with your approach. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Food is to be nourishing and enjoyable. That works for me!

Atalanta

Oh. I thought the leukemia got him but after a quick search I see you're right. The pain and complications from leukemia apparently drove him to it. Sad. I did not realize that. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Still, the main point is that the high carb low fat turned his health around until he got leukemia. I've also seen high protein/high fat folks insinuate that high carb and low fat was why he got leukemia in the first place, but not so. It was probably the radiation exposure.

Was Pritikin also an endurance athlete, or am I making that up, too...? :p If so then oxidative stress probably had something to do with his disease.

Not to derail the thread. But if we're talking about high carb and low fat then Pritikin was there first, at least in our culture. Shame the paleo/Atkins folks got control of our consciousness for a while. They did it to me, for sure, in no small part because it sure tasted better and gave me more pleasure to eat. Pritikin also made me not feel well back in the day, so I decided it didn't agree with me. But I realize now that was probably due to under-eating + detox and I just didn't know enough then to tweak and hang with it.

Didn't Pritikin have leukemia before he started the diet?

I read somewhere(that I can't remember), that he kept his leukemia in remission for over 20 years with the diet. He allowed doctors to convince him to try chemotherapy and that's when his health problems started.

People get depressed for all kinds of reasons. I doubt his low-fat diet had anything to do with his suicide/depression. Depression is a serious problem in America and most Americans are not eating a low-fat diet. He probably took his life in a moment of great emotional pain and anyone on any diet can experience emotional pain so great that they feel the only solution is to check out permanently. Had he swallowed some pills instead of cutting his arteries, he may not have died. I think the chemo killed him by destroying his quality of life. At nearly 70, he should have just lived with his illness instead of trying to cure it. Aspirin was probably all he needed.

X3CyO

Emphasis also on being Anti Pufa @ 27:36 by Pritikin

rei

Amazing how you can even take this as one data point. One disease, in a very lacking study, not controlled for anything.

This has so little value i would hardly rank it above noise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals