How are we supposed to lower serotonin if we have the MAOA gene mutation? Impossible?

pubh12

Forum Supporter
I have so many chronic illnesses it’s hard to keep track what is what at this point. Blood clots, cancer, breathing problems , relapsing polychondritis , Sjogrens , POTS, MCAS among others

I haven’t had any sexual labido in YEARS. I have no erection quality.

I know my serotonin is high because of this mutation. I just don’t know if I’ll ever get it down. I don’t know how. B2 and copper are cofactors for MAOA enzymes so I take those but the effects are minimal.

Is it hopeless with this mutation ? I’m hoping maybe reducing serotonin somehow someway can help wth all my issues. I’m too young to be dealing with all this ***t

ChadGPT

No it’s not hopeless, your genes aren’t destiny.

What is your diet like? Are you getting enough protein?

nomoreketones

Ben Lynch's dirty gene book covers the MAOA gene. According to the book, there are two possible mutations. One where the MAOA gene is too fast and one were the gene is too slow.

According to the book, eating sufficient protein is most important for people with a fast MAOA. If you have a slow MAOA then the only thing you can really do besides a balanced diet is stress reduction.

I don't think this particular mutation is largely responsible for the chronic illnesses you are facing. At most it probably is a small piece of the puzzle you are trying to solve.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Ben Lynch's dirty gene book covers the MAOA gene. According to the book, there are two possible mutations. One where the MAOA gene is too fast and one were the gene is too slow.

According to the book, eating sufficient protein is most important for people with a fast MAOA. If you have a slow MAOA then the only thing you can really do besides a balanced diet is stress reduction.

I don't think this particular mutation is largely responsible for the chronic illnesses you are facing. At most it probably is a small piece of the puzzle you are trying to solve.

Mine is slow. I don’t break down serotonin much at all. There must be more that can be done aside from stress reduction

74one

I do get enough protein. I eat a lot of muscle meat.
I don't think that it's a good idea to eat a lot of muscle meat for protein in your condition, you have to be healthy with vigorous metabolism to do that. I would suggest detox your body first, look up Gerson therapy for example

Smitty

Although not a sustainable fix, have you tried cyproheptadine?

Smitty

Yeah just for a bit. I liked it. But I wasn’t sure I could take it everyday.
My understanding is it should be safe to take for upwards of a month. At just 1mg spread throughout the day, it might be a worthy experiment to see if serotonin inhibition improves your symptoms at all.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
My understanding is it should be safe to take for upwards of a month. At just 1mg spread throughout the day, it might be a worthy experiment to see if serotonin inhibition improves your symptoms at all.
Many of us have taken it daily for a long time. It never stopped working. It never decreased in efficacy. Thankfully I don't need it daily anymore but I wouldn't hesitate.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Many of us have taken it daily for a long time. It never stopped working. It never decreased in efficacy. Thankfully I don't need it daily anymore but I wouldn't hesitate.
How long would you need to take cyproheptadine for it to lower serotonin levels in blood? My serotonin was flagged high and I was taking cypro about a month leading up to it

marcar72

You could focus on a low tryptophan diet by having some of your protein intake be from gelatin or bone broth.

Here is a lot of good info from forum member @Hans on 60 ways to lower serotonin. God bless!! :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom