How does caffine boost metabolism ? (Mechanism of action)

Sapien

I have heard from Peat as well as the mainstream that caffine boosts metabolic rate/glucose oxidation, however I have never heard the means by which it does this;

I did some brief searching on the internet and could not find any info

Does anyone know?

“Caffeine has remarkable parallels to thyroid and progesterone, and the use of coffee or tea can help to maintain their production, or compensate for their deficiency." -Ray Peat

“Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues." -Ray Peat

“Our scientific community talks about coffee like it’s a drug, when actually it’s an adaptogenic nutrient. The caffeine in coffee mimics anti-stress hormones like progresterone, scavenges free radicals, and increases the efficiency of fuel consumption in the body.” -Ray Peat

I have heard from Peat as well as the mainstream that caffine boosts metabolic rate/glucose oxidation, however I have never heard the means by which it does this;

Does anyone know?
There are many reasons why…

“There is a popular health-culture that circulates mistaken ideas about nutrition, and coffee drinking has been a perennial target of this culture. It is commonly said that coffee is a drug, not a food, and that its drug action is harmful, and that this harm is not compensated by any nutritional benefit. Most physicians subscribe to most of these “common sense” ideas about coffee, and form an authoritative barrier against the assimilation of scientific information about coffee.

I think it would be good to reconsider coffee’s place in the diet and in health care.

Coffee drinkers have a lower incidence of thyroid disease, including cancer, thannon-drinkers.

Caffeine protects the liver from alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other toxins, and coffee drinkers are less likely than people who don’t use coffee to have elevated serum enzymes and other indications of liver damage.

Caffeine protects against cancer caused by radiation, chemical carcinogens, viruses, and estrogens.

Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues.

Cystic breast disease is not caused by caffeine, in fact caffeine’s effects are likely to be protective; a variety of studies show that coffee, tea, and caffeine are protective against breast cancer.

Coffee provides very significant quantities of magnesium, as well as other nutrients including vitamin B1.

Caffeine “improves efficiency of fuel use” and performance: JC Wagner 1989.

Coffee drinkers have a low incidence of suicide.

Caffeine supports serotonin uptake in nerves, and inhibits blood platelet aggregation.

Coffee drinkers have been found to have lower cadmium in tissues; coffee making removes heavy metals from water.

Coffee inhibits iron absorption if taken with meals, helping to prevent iron overload.

Caffeine, like niacin, inhibits apoptosis, protecting against stress-induced cell death, without interfering with normal cell turnover.

Caffeine can prevent nerve cell death.

Coffee (or caffeine) prevents Parkinson’s Disease (Ross, et al., 2000).

The prenatal growth retardation that can be caused by feeding large amounts of caffeine is prevented by supplementing the diet with sugar.

Caffeine stops production of free radicals by inhibiting xanthine oxidase, an important factor in tissue stress.

Caffeine lowers serum potassium following exercise; stabilizes platelets, reducing thromboxane production.“ -Ray Peat

Apple

There are many reasons why…

“There is a popular health-culture that circulates mistaken ideas about nutrition, and coffee drinking has been a perennial target of this culture. It is commonly said that coffee is a drug, not a food, and that its drug action is harmful, and that this harm is not compensated by any nutritional benefit. Most physicians subscribe to most of these “common sense” ideas about coffee, and form an authoritative barrier against the assimilation of scientific information about coffee.

I think it would be good to reconsider coffee’s place in the diet and in health care.

Coffee drinkers have a lower incidence of thyroid disease, including cancer, thannon-drinkers.

Caffeine protects the liver from alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other toxins, and coffee drinkers are less likely than people who don’t use coffee to have elevated serum enzymes and other indications of liver damage.

Caffeine protects against cancer caused by radiation, chemical carcinogens, viruses, and estrogens.

Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues.

Cystic breast disease is not caused by caffeine, in fact caffeine’s effects are likely to be protective; a variety of studies show that coffee, tea, and caffeine are protective against breast cancer.

Coffee provides very significant quantities of magnesium, as well as other nutrients including vitamin B1.

Caffeine “improves efficiency of fuel use” and performance: JC Wagner 1989.

Coffee drinkers have a low incidence of suicide.

Caffeine supports serotonin uptake in nerves, and inhibits blood platelet aggregation.

Coffee drinkers have been found to have lower cadmium in tissues; coffee making removes heavy metals from water.

Coffee inhibits iron absorption if taken with meals, helping to prevent iron overload.

Caffeine, like niacin, inhibits apoptosis, protecting against stress-induced cell death, without interfering with normal cell turnover.

Caffeine can prevent nerve cell death.

Coffee (or caffeine) prevents Parkinson’s Disease (Ross, et al., 2000).

The prenatal growth retardation that can be caused by feeding large amounts of caffeine is prevented by supplementing the diet with sugar.

Caffeine stops production of free radicals by inhibiting xanthine oxidase, an important factor in tissue stress.

Caffeine lowers serum potassium following exercise; stabilizes platelets, reducing thromboxane production.“ -Ray Peat
Excellent post ! How much coffee do you drink a day ?

Excellent post ! How much coffee do you drink a day ?
Only 2 to 3 a day, but it is really strong coffee, 3 tablespoons of ground coffee to brew 2 cups of water, or I make a coffee shake with a cup of milk, 2 teaspoons instant coffee, sugar, pinch of salt and ice.

cjm

Does anyone know?

Here's something:

"Evidence is presented that caffeine does not act on the mitochondrial Ca uptake system and that its effect cannot be attributed to the accumulation of adenosine 3', 5r-phosphate. Two distinct caffeine effects are described. At high ATP concentrations caffeine decreases the coupling between ATP hydrolysis and Ca inflow. It either inhibits inflow without any inhibition of the rate of ATP hydrolysis, or it stimulates the ATPase activity without stimulating Ca inflow. These high ATP concentrations (much higher than needed for the saturation of the transport ATPase) greatly reduce the control of the turnover rate of the transport system by accumulated Ca. At low ATP concentrations when the transport system is under maximal control by accumulated Ca, caffeine inhibits the ATPase activity without affecting the rate of Ca inflow." The Mechanism of the Action of Caffeine on Sarcoplasmic Reticulum (Weber, 1968)

I'll attempt my interpretation: caffeine intelligently modulates ATP levels in the cell and it does that without affecting the flow of calcium, which is activating all kinds of enzymes all the time. At the moment, I can't explain further why that's significant.

Last edited:

Apple

Only 2 to 3 a day, but it is really strong coffee, 3 tablespoons of ground coffee to brew 2 cups of water, or I make a coffee shake with a cup of milk, 2 teaspoons instant coffee, sugar, pinch of salt and ice.
Do you use glasses to read? I believe coffee has negative impact on eyesight (blurred vision)

Do you use glasses to read? I believe coffee has negative impact on eyesight (blurred vision)
No I don’t read with glasses. My vision is good, for the most part. I didn’t start drinking coffee though, not at all, until I was thirty two, and my second son and being exhausted had me willing to give it a try. I don’t really want anymore than one cup in the warmer weather. That is why sometimes a coffee shake sounds good.

OP
Sapien

Sapien

Here's something:

"Evidence is presented that caffeine does not act on the mitochondrial Ca uptake system and that its effect cannot be attributed to the accumulation of adenosine 3', 5r-phosphate. Two distinct caffeine effects are described. At high ATP concentrations caffeine decreases the coupling between ATP hydrolysis and Ca inflow. It either inhibits inflow without any inhibition of the rate of ATP hydrolysis, or it stimulates the ATPase activity without stimulating Ca inflow. These high ATP concentrations (much higher than needed for the saturation of the transport ATPase) greatly reduce the control of the turnover rate of the transport system by accumulated Ca. At low ATP concentrations when the transport system is under maximal control by accumulated Ca, caffeine inhibits the ATPase activity without affecting the rate of Ca inflow." The Mechanism of the Action of Caffeine on Sarcoplasmic Reticulum (Weber, 1968)

I'll attempt my interpretation: caffeine intelligently modulates ATP levels in the cell and it does that without affecting the flow of calcium, which is activating all kinds of enzymes all the time. At the moment, I can't explain further why that's significant.
This is a bit above my pay grade haha thanks for the response though

FitnessMike

Ever since i came off of cyproheptadine, if I have too strong coffee, or if I have it in the afternoon, I'm not sleeping.

Apple

coffee is so addictive , some days I drink a small cup of coffee every 30 min

Ever since i came off of cyproheptadine, if I have too strong coffee, or if I have it in the afternoon, I'm not sleeping.
It doesn’t do that to me Mike. I sleep so heavily nowadays. When I had histamine issues, ten or so years ago, the high histamines would have me wired and wide awake, so I would have coffee in the night and it would bring my histamines down and get me back to sleep. I know a couple people that drink coffee at night and they sleep great. Caffeine is a natural antihistamine, so is sugar and salt.

coffee is so addictive , some days I drink a small cup of coffee every 30 min
That is what I thought, until I got myself really healthy. I use to get bad headaches when I didn’t drink it, but now I go a day here and there without it. I use to crave it, but now I don’t. I think having protein in the morning before coffee is a better balance for the coffee. Ray Peat says to have it after a protein meal, but does anybody really do that? I have gelatin before coffee, not in it, as to ready myself for the coffee, and then I have a half a cup, or more of whole milk in my coffee, as well as sugar. I eat a good protein meal right after my first cup, and then maybe another cup after. I don’t feel the stimulating effect of coffee having it that way now. I feel level, but alert, and calm.

“Your “coffee tolerance” can be used as a barometer to measure health progression or lack there of. If you improve your tolerance to coffee, you’re likely headed in the right direction nutritionally. If this doesn’t happen, it could be time to reassess your strategies.

When your coffee tolerance is poor, it might say that the liver is suffering and is not storing glycogen very well and can’t back you up efficiently (by releasing glycogen) when there is excessive stimulation from coffee. It could also be a signal that you’re not following one or more of the rules listed in the previous section of this blog.

Hypothyroidism increases susceptibility to low blood sugar because of the effects of thyroid hormone on the liver. Hypothyroid individuals can have coffee intolerance symptoms for this reason and sometimes need to show extra caution when drinking coffee. Broda Barnes’ book “Hypoglycemia: It’s Not Your Mind, It’s Your Liver” is an excellent resource to explore this topic further.

Going the extra mile is sometimes necessary for those that are really susceptible to over stimulation from coffee. One such step is adding a little coffee to milk/sugar instead of adding milk/sugar to coffee. As you improve, you will be able to handle more coffee and progressively be less dependent upon support — you will be able to press harder on the metabolic gas pedal. Another option is sipping a little coffee with support throughout the day so you get a little stimulation without it being excessive.“

“So my past fight with coffee may have been a result of my ignorance and drinking it incorrectly, rather than it being universally bad for us. (A theme incidentally which also applies to sugar, but more on that another time.)

So here’s how it works:-

• it should be taken with or after a meal
  • or if not with a meal, it should be with real sugar/honey and milk/cream/coconut milk
  • adding gelatin to it is highly beneficial
  • ideally it shouldn’t be the first thing you have in the morning as it raises cortisol in the body (stress hormone) which adversely affects many bodily functions including weight loss. So food should be before coffee.

Why is it necessary?​

So the reason behind having it with a meal and/or sugar and milk, is that it then provides the fuel required to match the increase in metabolism that coffee generates.

So in the absence of adequate fuel, that’s when it raises cortisol in the body (stress hormones), basically to break down your muscle tissue for glycogen that it needs to fuel the increase in metabolism.

Ever get the jitters after too much coffee?​

That’s what it’s all about – not enough glycogen fuel and basically your body is highly stressed, desperately working hard to do this conversion thing, just to get enough fuel to survive and not blow up your adrenals!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals