How exactly do you get your vitamin and mineral requirments (what do you eat/drink)?

TiredofLies

I'm looking for the outcome of all this without needing to know everything like Dr. Peat. From reading his dense site and the suggestions of this site I've been able to get fractions of helpful info, like a puzzle I haven't completed yet. If your diet and lifestyle is healthy, what are you doing?

Can you help someone who simply doesn't want to spend the rest of their life researching diet and wellness? I don't want to amass a lot of time researching this when people have been naturally healthy until recent history. Knowing what you're eating daily, I can use common sense from there. Thanks.

DKayJoe

If you really want to try and fix issues with your body I imagine you will have to do at least SOME reading. I'm definitely not an expert on Dr. Peats ideas but can still piece together bits and pieces in order to suit me. I'd re
commend reading some of Danny Roddy's stuff if you find Peat too hard to digest and also using this forums search tool to read up on certain issues that effect you.

If it's as simple as you just want to track what macronutrients, vitamins and minerals you're putting in your body daily then Chronometer is a very useful tool, although reportedly inaccurate for some things. That being said it will still be able to give you a rough idea of whats going on.

EDIT : Re-reading your post it seems you're at a similar stage to me regarding all of this, my advice would be if you feel you have solid footing on a start to where you want to be, experiment, find out what works for you and what doesn't and go from there. Introduce things slowly and gradually so you can ascertain what exactly is affecting you positively/negatively. You also might find some of the testimonial blogs helpful if you're looking for others experiences but at the end of the day, everyone reacts to things differently.

OP
T

TiredofLies

I'm just frustrated that the world has to be so confusing. Some of the posters have thousands of forum posts, as if health is so complicated that to be an expert you need to live as long as Peat to "get it". If there weren't so many things to avoid nobody would care. Now I'm fed the wrong things and have to undo it somehow, there's no tradition to follow anymore. Everything is mixed up, the truth is hidden so I struggle to find it.

OP
T

TiredofLies

I'm not trying to uncover the secrets of the universe, I just want to know if the stuff I'm putting inside me are good stuff.

If you're doing it right then your diet should be all the info I need. No need to spend my life researching when I can just copy others.

I don't know why people don't want to share their personal diets, It'd save time and worth more than thousands of tips scattered across blogs and books.

DKayJoe

I feel your pain, my health problems started when I radically shifted my diet away from so called unhealthy foods to a 'healthy' diet with the aim of bulking up cleanly. Tons of pasta, PUFA enriched meat, oats, sunflower oil...it literally sucked the life out of me in every way imaginable, but I had some great undefined water muscles to show off through the ghastly acne! :)

Really though, even a small look over this forum will tell you there is no definitive diet for health, people react to things differently, people are deficient/overloaded in certain things. Not to mention factors away from diet: stress, sunlight etc, etc...

Lately my diet has pretty much only consisted of whole and skimmed pasteurised homogenised milk, orange juice, a carrot salad liver and oysters as well as Vit D, E, K and magnesium supplements. I'm planning on taking a little pregnenolone now that I'm starting to feel myself again and as my hypo symptoms are going away (to reduce Cortisol), as well as IR light therapy due to me never really seeing the sun (Constant Nocturnal sleep pattern).

This doesn't mean that copying me exactly is going to get you anywhere as your needs will almost certainly be different to mine, it seems the most succesful people on this forum get blood work done, take pulse and temperature and then go from there, if your health is that important to you, then be prepared to put at least a little effort in.

OP
T

TiredofLies

I'm asking for meal plans, please give me a list of food that would cover nutritional needs every day when put together.

DKayJoe

TiredofLies said:
I don't know why people don't want to share their personal diets, It'd save time and worth more than thousands of tips scattered across blogs and books.

Also, I don't this is a fair comment. This is probably the most helpful and open minded forum I have ever been on. There are tons of people sharing their personal diets here as well as stimulating discussions on the possible benefits of a huge range of things without the bane of trolls and over aggressive keyboard warriors. Personally I feel privileged to be here.

OP
T

TiredofLies

In the 1700's, Hawaiians ate primarily sweet potatoes. I looked them up and they're Peat-friendly, and very nutritious. The problem with this food is that despite being good for you, you can't survive on it alone.

I bought 10 large sweet potatoes. Yesterday I ate 2 and today I ate 2 as well (boiled 2, baked 2). This can't be healthy, even though the food is healthy how I'm eating isn't sustainable.

I hope you understand. All this info is worthless unless you know that
1) You're not eating toxins
2) You're getting all your daily nutrition.

After those 2 requirements are met, your diet is perfect isn't it?

pboy

not including sugar, if you just eat food according to desire and craving, that's a good place to start. You know better than other people in that sense. As your palate grows, your cravings will hone and you'll develop efficient routine. Reason I say not sugar is because its something you have to be careful with, it can offset nutrient to calorie ratio. All other foods if you eat to craving will likely, or certainly, cover nutrient needs. If you don't have hangups over cravings or need to know why, theres probly a reason and it will supply what you need. Its hard in good faith to say here do this exactly. You can look at the Peat general guidelines for diet on this site, it tells a good summary. He generally prefers no grains, limited starches in general only roots, fruits, carrot, some sugar if you want but not huge to offset nutrients, milk and dairy foods, meat and eggs in smaller amount just to cover nutrients, not a big fan of vegetables other than occasional broth or stock made from them, coconut oil and coffee. Theres many reasons why he has these recommedations, its too hard to sum up totally in a small post but basically its optimum nutrition to fuel metabolism, cover needs, and in balance to not disrupt hormones, and is easy on the gut which also favors good hormones. My personal diet is quite narrow and I wouldn't say its best for other people, it just suits my lifestyle, daily timings, routine, whats available nearby me, and stuff like that, and personal choices. I don't eat meat or eggs, don't like too many acidic fruits (peat recommends orange juice highly), I add some things he doesn't recommend highly like tea, I don't drink coffee, no coconut oil, and I eat some other things like palm oil he'd also caution against cause of the beta carotene. I also am adaptable, like if im in a situation away from home, ill make the best choice, or whatever need be. But I have like years of experience cooking for myself and isolating foods, and I know pretty well the nutrient profile of most foods, and ive tried so many things, and have felt the bad effects of various things...its a knowing, that its easier for me to without even thinking about it to select foods on a day to day basis. Its not something to worry about you dont need to be an expert..but over time you'll kind of become a lot better without much thought, just naturally. I usually just do the same thing every day pretty much. That's kind of the ideal, it suits my mindset goals also, I understand why monks and people like that always have a really simple diet...its just so its a non factor in life...find the group of foods that's most efficient at supplying needs, then just eat them (that) when you need to, just as much as you need. Its best for the mind, some people might think tis rigid cause you cant like go out to restaurants and all that, I mean you can always adjust it...to your liking. The point is basically to get to where food isn't something to think about much anymore. That's kind of a big factor though, is how serious do you want to be about it..or how much do you care, you gonna be shopping for quality and eat at home and all that, or do you want to still be able to kind of eat wherever whenever and just want general better choices kind of thing

OP
T

TiredofLies

I'm just burnt out, tired of experimenting. I'm going to reach the age soon where all he poor eating will show in my deteriorated body. If Somebody tells me "Hey, eating 1 potato, 2 cups of milk, x eggs, x fruits..... you will have good health for life".

I doubt it's so specific for person to person. There are people who stay not caring about health until they die, there's also those who are just optimistic and nothing really troubles them. What I mean is, if it's good for someone it must be good for everyone - if it keeps them going all their lives with minimal trips to the doctor, how can you go wrong? I kind of want to be a casual dieter, since the only other options are
A)Dedicate my life to researching like Ray Peat or
B) Succumb to the unhealthy diet and lifestyle readily available everywhere around me

OP
T

TiredofLies

@pboy Reading everything you wrote, It's not that I don't appreciate it but you're just throwing more guidelines at me instead of answering the straight question.

I want to keep it simple but healthy. So, anything that isn't bad for you and completely nourishes you would be GREAT. I wish there was a master thread with meal plans that are nutritionally complete, then people could play around with those instead of reading Peat's entire site.

I think that sums up the point of this site, to get a clear routine ingrained into your life.

OP
T

TiredofLies

RP has said potatoes, orange juice and milk are almost perfect foods and you could "survive for a long time" eating only one of those foods, eventually needing to supplement. What would you add to this?

pboy

milk and potatoes with occasional carrot, milk sweet potatoes (white with occasional orange), rice cucumber carrot and milk, are some simple complete diets, if that's all you want. But almost no food is completely toxin free, or balanced...milk is the only thing, quality milk, that's totally toxin free...maybe the inside portion of ripe melons and papaya is pretty toxinless also, and that has nutrients. Everything else is just going to be how it is, like technically just about everything, some blatant that you'll feel, others that you wont, has some toxins in it. Also eating under stress depending on how it is can make even the best food not diges ttha well which could produce symptoms. Just dietary wise though, those above are as simple as it gets. Peat recommends milk, eggs, orange juice, daily carrot or 2, and occasional shellfish as a complete diet. Its good on paper and hes right about that, but most people, probably all just because of how our bodies work, will not be able to handle and balance out that much hypotonic liquid, so you'd probably have to eat some dense dryer foods in there also

OP
T

TiredofLies

pboy said:
milk and potatoes with occasional carrot, milk sweet potatoes (white with occasional orange), rice cucumber carrot and milk, are some simple complete diets, if that's all you want. But almost no food is completely toxin free, or balanced...milk is the only thing, quality milk, that's totally toxin free...maybe the inside portion of ripe melons and papaya is pretty toxinless also, and that has nutrients. Everything else is just going to be how it is, like technically just about everything, some blatant that you'll feel, others that you wont, has some toxins in it. Also eating under stress depending on how it is can make even the best food not diges ttha well which could produce symptoms. Just dietary wise though, those above are as simple as it gets. Peat recommends milk, eggs, orange juice, daily carrot or 2, and occasional shellfish as a complete diet. Its good on paper and hes right about that, but most people, probably all just because of how our bodies work, will not be able to handle and balance out that much hypotonic liquid, so you'd probably have to eat some dense dryer foods in there also

I'll never understand how people live their whole lives not caring about their health and be okay, while you're telling me every food that's toxinless and complete still isn't sustainable.

Maybe I'm being too focused on diet. I like how Peat and his readers are focused on detail but is it necessary? Milk is the first thing mammals eat. Potatoes are underground and there are cultures that thrive only on them. The other foods are also good yet you say this may not work for all of life...?

DKayJoe

Also while'st milk is an amazing source of nourishment (I've always been a fan but have actually grown to be borderline addicted due to how great large quantities goes down with me) RP still recommends fruit juice with it at a 2:1 ratio (milk to juice) due to the proteins depleting glycogen stores, so although the right milk is toxin free the macronutrient ratio could still cause problems or at least not be optimal. There is no complete and amazing food that will optimally sustain you for life, otherwise everyone would be consuming it, if Ray Peat has said you could survive on milk for a long time I highly doubt he's recommending it, it's just a fact that you could if needed...

OP
T

TiredofLies

I see, thank you.

But this just goes back to the topic, what meals do you eat daily to sustain yourself without any health problems? I'll wait, I hope more people respond with straight answers. I know It's a boring thing to talk about, some may not eat the same thing systematically every day, some may just not want to help.

Surely someone's figured a way to make their diet work, but I think someone like that wouldn't be browsing this forum if they did.

DKayJoe

TiredofLies said:

I'll never understand how people live their whole lives not caring about their health and be okay, while you're telling me every food that's toxinless and complete still isn't sustainable.
/quote]

Your current diet whatever it is, IS sustainable. It's just it's giving you negative side effects, people get sick in every culture around the world, just some more than others. And yes, plenty of people are okay on crappy diets but okay is just okay...I get what you're saying and I can relate, after all I've had to spend an age looking and trying different diets to find something that actually felt like it was good for me again whereas plenty of others have never had to bother, however, do you feel focusing on this fact will impact your health in a positive way? As a human being the have the tools, even a gift to be able to try different things to see what works, SOMETHING will work for you and as pboy has stated sugars as a fuel source and milk as a protein source is a great place to start. So just dive in and see if it affects you in a positive way, if it does then great! You're one step further than you were yesterday...Rome wasn't built in a day.

DKayJoe

I have already stated what I am eating and drinking daily as well as all my supplements! But i will again in greater detail if you like...

2.27 Litres of Whole Organic Pasteurized homogenised milk, with added salt
1 - 2 Litres of either Semi or fully skimmed organic pasteurized homogenised milk, with added salt
2 litres of orange juice (not from concentrate),
About 50g of organic grass fed beef liver 2 - 3 times a week,
A daily carrot salad with coconut oil, vinegar and salt,
2 oysters every other day or 3 times a week,

Supplement wise...

10,000 IU of vitamin d
1,000 IU of vitamin E
7,000 IU of vitamin K (6000 of which k2, 1000 of which is k1)
300mg of chelated magnesium,
and as of today 50mg of micronized Pregnenolone

It's taken me roughly 3 months of experimentation to cultivate this regimen for me, although now almost all of my fatigue/hypo symptoms are gone, but I went through a lot of things people on this forum tolerate and thrive on which didn't work for me first...there is no definitive diet, you could try mine and it could send you up the wall if you didn't tolerate the milk etc etc...

EDIT: It's also worth noting that although I feel a lot better I am currently shedding more hair (mpb sufferer) which is a pain, but a more than adequate trade off considering how much better I feel, basically this diet works for me, it's convenient and my body thrives on it but I am still not in perfect health, the road to recovery is long...

EDIT 2 : I also forgot to mention my bone broth, I eat bone broth daily before I go to bed from grass fed beef bones...

marcar72

You could try...

3 quarts whole milk/day (commercial store bought)
1 quart OJ/day (Tropicana, Never from Concentrate)
3.5 OZ chocolate bar/day (Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate)
Some daily coffee (need this with ANY diet, hehehe)

Then the supplemental food...

4 OZ liver/every other day
Oysters on the Half Shell/once or twice a week (canned oysters are cheap)
Good Vitamin E supplement
Pregnenolone
Zinc
B Complex
Niacin
Magnesium Gluconate (take it every wild hair up the butt moment)

You could try all that but it probably wouldn't work for you yet I would guess. I had to work my way up to this myself. You see I still don't have a solid routine down myself really.

I need to work some bone broth in there myself. It's also gonna be "Meat and Potato" dish making time here soon as the downstairs neighbors hamburger dish smells seem to be lingering in the air... :2cents

OP
T

TiredofLies

DKayJoe said:
TiredofLies said:

/quote]

Your current diet whatever it is, IS sustainable. It's just it's giving you negative side effects, people get sick in every culture around the world, just some more than others. And yes, plenty of people are okay on crappy diets but okay is just okay...I get what you're saying and I can relate, after all I've had to spend an age looking and trying different diets to find something that actually felt like it was good for me again whereas plenty of others have never had to bother, however, do you feel focusing on this fact will impact your health in a positive way? As a human being the have the tools, even a gift to be able to try different things to see what works, SOMETHING will work for you and as pboy has stated sugars as a fuel source and milk as a protein source is a great place to start. So just dive in and see if it affects you in a positive way, if it does then great! You're one step further than you were yesterday...Rome wasn't built in a day.

From these words I have a good understanding of what to do. I'm thinking cutting out obvious junk like grains & PUFA's and eating foods that are mostly toxin-free is okay. Getting your ratio's of vitamins/minerals is hard, like needing 6:1 for zinc-copper for good testosterone. Or Vitamin A and K2 preventing a vitamin D overdose. These are the complex parts that I'm trying to sum up into a meal plan, to make things simple.

The way people here find Ray Peat's lost scriptures and interviews is great but too obsessive for me. But at the same time, I NEVER want to rely on a doctor or drugs, I want to be my own doc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals