I have never liked milk - help me

Nnik

Hi! I have been loving the freedom of eating in Ray Peat inspired ways after switching from a restrictive low carb, high protein diet that all the popular “health” people are promoting these days. However, milk has been a struggle for me. People have said to start of slow but as a child and growing up I have always disliked the taste of plain milk. I can drink chocolate milk but notice that shortly after I experience diarrhea and GI symptoms. I can keep adding it in slowly but I don’t think I could ever drink as much as the “recommended amount” that you commonly see on here. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. I love cheese but am worried about the high fat aspect of eating too much cheese to compensate for the milk. A2 milk seems to be better for my stomach but I still just don’t like the taste by itself. Is that something I should listen to?

Peatress

Listen to your instincts on this one. Milk is inflammatory if not tolerated and if you find the taste unpleasant it could prove counterproductive. You could try cheese but limit the amount?

If I could start again I would avoid milk. I love milk but it still bloats me. I continue to drink it because it’s convenient plus when I tried to give it up my body temperature crashed.

youngsinatra

If you don’t like or don’t tolerate, don’t drink it.

I also don’t do well on it. I also don’t do well on sugar, eggs and liver, even though Ray recommended these foods. It’s highly individual.

Perceive, think, act.

milk_lover

Cheese is a good alternative. I eat from time to time arabic labnah which is like cream cheese. Very tasty. If you think cheese has too much fat, just eat what you think is enough as @Peatress mentioned and supplement some calcium like egg shells. Calcium is crucial for metabolism and general health. With meat or high phosphate food, you can take aspirin or niacinamide with plenty of sugar to reduce phosphate absorption. Also, vitamin D helps you absorb calcium better. Then, you probably don't need to drink too much milk or eat too much cheese. My sister hates milk so much, but she can drink it in coffee latte or when it's sweetened with sugar. Some like the full fat milk, some like the skimmed one. Some like to heat it up and drink it warm. Some like it ice cold. You can try different things until something works for you.

S

shucknchuck

I can easily down a pint in a sitting, but I rarely drink milk strait, just because the fat content isn't to my liking... I drink it while taking small bites of honey from a spoon.

I'll drink it while eating a steak... that's always good, too.

akgrrrl

Try THIS.
Put ice in a tall glass and some water in the bottom.
Purchase whole, organic milk, and genuine-out-of-a-tree maple syrup.
Fill the glass leaving room for a big spoon of syrup. It will sink to the bottom so sir stir stir. When it is nice and cold, slurp it up. Hydrating! Refreshing! Delicious!

Peatful

Warm or cooked milk may be easier if you want to experiment and reintroduce in the future

Think classic whole milk flan
Or
Old fashioned rice pudding

I make a curry sauce with coconut milk which i do okay with
I could always substitute whole as well

Point -
Cooked milk is easier for me because it breaks down the milk protein into easier to digest amino acids I believe

Nebula

I recently realized I only find warm milk appetizing. My stomach rejects cold milk. Doesn't seem to want to digest it and my taste buds don't associate it as food. Milk heated to at least body temperature instantly starts digesting and I can sip away at a couple cups at a time enjoyably to a pleasant relaxed feeling as it metabolizes.

peter88

Ive always pushed through so I could see the so called benefits of drinking a lot of milk. Now I believe that was one of my worst mistakes since finding Peat.

PopSocket

Start slow with small amounts and increase slowly, if it still does not agree with you - then don't drink it for some time and try again at a later date. Goat milk is better than Cow milk 99% of the time (healthwise), if raw - even better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals