IODIDE - not - IODINE cure for many diseases? (With Ray qoutes)

Jam

I do recognise quite a lot of what you say there. How did you find it affected your sleep? I am getting less sleep but generally feeling OK, what I don't want is this apparent need for less sleep to be supported by stress hormones of course! But then if the thyroid is healthy it shouldn't be stress hormones...
I also have that same effect on sleep, even though it began before first taking iodide, but the iodide definitely contributes. I first remember noticing needing less sleep when taking chaparral at bed time, perhaps 6 months or so before starting iodide. This seems to go hand-in-hand with no longer needing brief afternoon naps. I think it is a sign of improved health.

Peater

You nailed it and this is something I haven't sorted out. For example on days where I had to hike and took iodine, my stamina was super high (as you also experienced). I couldn't get fatigued. But I had problems getting to sleep, which is not normal after a full day hiking, which makes me suspect I was on stress hormones.

If I don't hike/do an activity it tends to not happen.

Anyway for me the best I feel is the 2 days after taking iodine.

Maybe iodine helps to start the stress system if you need it. Not sure really.

Interesting. Well I'm really glad you at least know what I mean and have experienced it. I've had plenty of sugar after yet another hike today in this ongoing glorious weather. (Just got in).

I also have that same effect on sleep, even though it began before first taking iodide, but the iodide definitely contributes. I first remember noticing needing less sleep when taking chaparral at bed time, perhaps 6 months or so before starting iodide. This seems to go hand-in-hand with no longer needing brief afternoon naps. I think it is a sign of improved health.

I think so - it doesn't feel like I'm 'fighting' the need for sleep (Certainly less than I was normally pre-SSKI/selenium when up early to get to work on time). I suspect some of it is purely psychological (Thinking I must need more sleep) as for more or less my whole life I've always felt like I've never had enough. Once I 'got going' I was generally OK.

Peater

Just in case anyone else is/does try this - make sure you get enough sugar. I woke up at 4am feeling hot and "tired but wired". The sort of feeling you might get after sleeping after a night of drinking. "Liver glycogen" popped into my head. I had a huge glass of OJ, and then managed to get back to sleep, and slept well. I'd drunk some coke etc throughout the day too as I'd been walking again. I assume my metabolism was revved up.

Makrosky

Just in case anyone else is/does try this - make sure you get enough sugar. I woke up at 4am feeling hot and "tired but wired". The sort of feeling you might get after sleeping after a night of drinking. "Liver glycogen" popped into my head. I had a huge glass of OJ, and then managed to get back to sleep, and slept well. I'd drunk some coke etc throughout the day too as I'd been walking again. I assume my metabolism was revved up.
Yep. This happens. Interesting to see if it is just lack of glycogen or it is activating stress hormones per se, as I said, I still do not know for sure.

And also I think caffeine and iodine is not good. Too much stimulation. Either one or the other.

Peater

Yep. This happens. Interesting to see if it is just lack of glycogen or it is activating stress hormones per se, as I said, I still do not know for sure.

And also I think caffeine and iodine is not good. Too much stimulation. Either one or the other.
Thanks for confirming this wasn't "out of the ordinary". It wasn't even that bad, literally no worse than waking up after maybe a few drinks too many. And I didn't have a hangover!

Peater

If anyone else is trying this and is in the UK, try this source. Supersaturated Potassium Iodide | Qualified Naturopath - Buy your health products from a naturopath. I have email confirmation this is pure SSKI.

I ordered some more to replace the Weyland brand SSKI that @Jam wasn't a fan of due to the sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate.

My thyroid tests have been processed, the folate test failed for some reason. I am waiting for their Dr or whoever to review/check the results before they release them.

Peater

@Makrosky @Jam

It's been just over a week since I started. 3 drops of the SSKI, 200mcg selenium methionine.

In that time, the weather here has been glorious so I have hiked 6 miles every other day at full afternoon heat. So stamina seems good. No or very little improvement in shoulder pain so far. (I phrase it like this as I have it before where something seems like it might be starting to work, then it goes back to how it was)

Mood very good, of course the weather and having some free time does help BUT I can also remember feeling glum on days like this sometimes, obviously the weather is not a panacea. I suppose what I mean is I'm really appreciating the way things are at the moment.

Now the objective stuff - I ordered a thyroid test which I will do early next week, to make sure it gets back to them without delay, and we can add it to the general knowledge of the forum. Of course my experience may not reflect on what is right for others. Here are my old test results from Jan 2021. I can't remember what I would have been eating but it would have been Peat-ish for sure. Certainly no seed oils, or grains. No thyroid supps I can think of but maybe some Idealabs stuff (Not Tyromax/mix)

To me they look not bad but not great either. I will post my newest results ASAP.

View attachment 51848
@Jam @Makrosky

My latest results are:

CRP HS 0.432 mg/L
FERRITIN 142 ug/L
VITAMIN B12 - ACTIVE >150 pmol/L
VITAMIN D 99.6 nmol/L

TSH 7.33 mIU/L
FREE T3 4.34 pmol/L
FREE THYROXINE 15.9 pmol/L

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES 14.6 kIU/L (0 - 115)
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES <9 (0 - 34)

So there we have it. Thoughts welcome. TSH is indeed high. I was pleasantly surprised at how low C-Reactive Protein and antibodies are.

Jam

@Jam @Makrosky

My latest results are:

CRP HS 0.432 mg/L
FERRITIN 142 ug/L
VITAMIN B12 - ACTIVE >150 pmol/L
VITAMIN D 99.6 nmol/L

TSH 7.33 mIU/L
FREE T3 4.34 pmol/L
FREE THYROXINE 15.9 pmol/L

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES 14.6 kIU/L (0 - 115)
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES <9 (0 - 34)

So there we have it. Thoughts welcome. TSH is indeed high. I was pleasantly surprised at how low C-Reactive Protein and antibodies are.
High TSH is perfectly normal for a while after starting on iodide. It will come back down.

Peater

Looks good to me.
Appreciate your help with this! The T3 is bordering on the low side according to their report "slider" graph. But I suppose it's how well the body uses it that is important. Current dose is 150mg SSKI and 200mcg selenium. Any thoughts on increasing/decreasing/cessation? (Of course I will use this as information not guidance)

Edit: I just realised there's no rT3 result. What's the point in that?!

Makrosky

@Peater The TSH high is expected. Maybe retest in 6 months.

And now, basically you will have to experiment what works better for you. You can raise to 300mg, you can lower to 5mg. You can use only 100mcg selenometh (not more than 200mcg though).

You can try 1 day on, 3 days off or similar (that is what works best for me).

You can try nascent iodine.

And so on so forth. Endless possibilities.

It is a learning process and a life companion. You have to acquiant.

Makrosky

You can also try NOT using coffee.

And generally... just enjoy the benefits and carry on with your life.

Peater

@Peater The TSH high is expected. Maybe retest in 6 months.

And now, basically you will have to experiment what works better for you. You can raise to 300mg, you can lower to 5mg. You can use only 100mcg selenometh (not more than 200mcg though).

You can try 1 day on, 3 days off or similar (that is what works best for me).

You can try nascent iodine.

And so on so forth. Endless possibilities.

It is a learning process and a life companion. You have to acquiant.
You can also try NOT using coffee.

And generally... just enjoy the benefits and carry on with your life.
Thanks for replying! I appreciate the warning about no more than 200mcg selenium methionine.

I'm thinking of just continuing as I am (150mg/3 drops SSKI and 200mcg SM) and re-testing in 2 or 3 months. At least that way we then have at least 1 verified case study which was done with consistency on this forum, even if it isn't perfect. I want to see if TSH falls and thyroid hormones rise as although they are within range to me they look low.

Apple

I guess everyone is anti-Peat on this thread ?
Ray Peat was very straight on this topic.

- What about supplemental iodine, lugol, iodised salt...
- No,
it degenerates thyroid. Seafood once a week provides all the iodine you can use.

Last edited:

Peater

I guess everyone is anti-Peat on this thread ?
Ray Peat was very straight on this topic.

- What about supplemental iodine, lugol, iodised salt...
- No,
it degenerates thyroid. Seafood once a week provides all the iodine you can use.

Apart from the known effect of high TSH my thyroid numbers don't appear any worse than before I started. Of course it's completely possible and I would not be surprised if my thyroid was already wrecked. I have a vague theory that childhood vaccinations had deleterious effects on my blood sugar control systems and stress hormones.

@Jam @Makrosky Any thoughts on using a little Tyromix to help out the high TSH? Or best to let it run?

Jam

I would definitely let it run (it will return to baseline in a few weeks). I wouldn't touch exogenous hormones with a 10-ft pole.

Peater

I would definitely let it run (it will return to baseline in a few weeks). I wouldn't touch exogenous hormones with a 10-ft pole.
Thanks Jam, I have only just seen your reply. I will let it run.

So while TSH is high, is the whole thyroid system healing/re-calibrating?

I have used exogenous in the past, at sensible doses. I'm interested in your opposite stance to taking them (I don't disagree at all, I am just really interested if you could expand)

Thanks as always.

Jam

Thanks Jam, I have only just seen your reply. I will let it run.

So while TSH is high, is the whole thyroid system healing/re-calibrating?

I have used exogenous in the past, at sensible doses. I'm interested in your opposite stance to taking them (I don't disagree at all, I am just really interested if you could expand)

Thanks as always.
Sorry I don't have any insights beyond that I just prefer to let my body regulate the endogenous hormones as it knows best.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals